What will you do when you win $6oo or 700 million in the Powerball?

izzythepush

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2023 12:45 am
@glitterbag,
I buy a couple of lucky dips for the Euromillions and a scratchcard every 3-4 weeks or so.

Last time I won £15, but the tickets cost a tenner, so it was only a fiver after all, but it's still a win.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2023 07:40 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I just can't get excited about it, I have enough money and I'm comfortable. It's a good source of public funds, if it's used right. It's a sort of voluntary tax.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2023 01:32 pm
Tuesday's Mega Millions now at $1.55 billion, the 3rd-largest in U.S. lottery history
Quote:
The $1.55 billion payout would go to a winner who opts for an annuity, doled out over 30 years. But people usually prefer a lump sum option, which for Tuesday's jackpot would be an estimated $757.2 million.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2024 11:16 am
A man sues Powerball after being told his $340M 'win' was a mistake
Quote:
When John Cheeks saw that the winning lottery numbers on the D.C. Lottery website matched his ticket in January 2023, he initially didn't know what to think. The prize amount was for a whopping $340 million.

"I didn't shout or scream," Cheeks told NPR. "I just called my longtime friend." That friend advised him to take a picture of the numbers on the screen, which matched a combination of Cheeks's family birth dates and other digits.

However, the ticket was repeatedly denied when Cheeks tried to redeem the prize. He was eventually told by the D.C. Office of Lottery and Gaming that the numbers posted online were a mistake.

As a result, Cheeks is suing several groups that run Powerball in Washington, D.C. According to court documents, Cheeks has requested $340 million in compensation, along with damages and interest.

Taoti Enterprises, a lottery contractor and a defendant in the suit, said they had "accidentally" posted the wrong numbers as part of a quality assurance test. The mistake was not removed from the website until three days after the posting, according to court documents.

0 Replies