Terrific films on DVD & video ... Any suggestions?

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 06:49 am
A sequel? Surprised
I didn't know there was one!
Tell me more, Booman!
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 07:21 am
Msolga;
..... I saw the sequal first, and it stood on it's own merit. It had a good balance of humor, action, and romance. It was great movie,and the quinntesentual "Film noir, of the genre, of the time.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 07:25 am
Jack Nicholson again?

Well, I'm going to get a hold of ASAP! (Though I'm trying to imagine a sequel following the devastating conclusion of China town.)

Thanks, Booman! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:23 am
A cold, windy, winter's night here. Just perfect to spend it with a few friends, a bunch of DVDs, take away dinner & a few wines. Very Happy Anyway, we chose Eternal Sunshine Of the Spotless Mind, from the stack we'd rented. What an intriguing film! I'd not seen it before & had no idea of the subject. I've never seen Jim Carey in a role quite like that, either.... Interesting, very interesting.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:32 am
Worth multiple viewings, too. You miss a lot of the movie's message in the details. It tends to make one introspective about their own personal relationships. Gawd, can that be difficult to confront!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:36 am
Tell me something, LW! Laughing I have been introspecting like crazy since I watched it. And yes, I think I'll definitely watch it again. Fascinating.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:38 am
Anybody you erased from your memory after a relationship? Ooopppsss...

(Obviously, you can't tell me).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:48 am
Oh yes, indeed! AND with good reason! Laughing Mind you, there are probably a few people, I'm sure, who'd feel the same about me!

I found it quite touching at that point when the Carey character wanted to stop the complete erasure from his memory of the relationship from happening & fought against it. Very moving. And other parts were quite harrowing. When I watch it again I'll be observing a lot more closely the relationship between the "doctor" & the young female assistant who'd loved him but had had the memory erased. Not sure of what it all meant, really ...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:50 am
That's the I want to end this relationship, oh my gawd why am I doing this syndrome. The film is about choices we make in life and the mistakes.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:56 am
Yes, I understand what the film was about, LW, but that particular sequence (including the doctor's wife) was a bit less clear, possibly because I was so preoccupied with the Carey character at that point. Yep, a second viewing is a good idea.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 08:09 am
ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND is an unconventional romance told in the abstract, inventive, and comedic storytelling style of screenwriter Charlie Kaufman. Like his scripts for ADAPTATION and BEING JOHN MALKOVICH, this plot works off of a relatively complex idea that is easier explained through language of film than through words. In its most basic description, Joel (Jim Carrey) is undergoing a medical procedure to erase the memory of his ex-girlfriend, Clementine (Kate Winslet). However, while he is unconscious and the procedure is underway, he takes a journey through his mind, reliving moments with Clementine for fear of losing her forever. Using disjointed sound and action, foggy periods indicating Joel's confusion, and flashbacks to childhood where objects appear much bigger than they are to adult eyes, the cinematography communicates Joel's dilemma with visual hilarity. Only occasionally is the film laugh-out-loud funny; instead it is much more deeply and darkly amusing as the absurdity of the situation grows. ETERNAL SUNSHINE is nothing short of brilliant--a credit to director Michel Gondry (who has a topnotch reputation for his aesthetic music videos by artists such as Bjork). Carrey is wonderfully understated in the role of a simpleminded nice guy, and his signature goofiness is used only a handful of times. Winslet lights up the screen with her blue hair and orange sweatshirt, playing a lively free spirit and loose cannon. There are also strong supporting performances by Kirsten Dunst, Elijah Wood, and Mark Ruffalo, along with an excellent score by Jon Brion and a peppy soundtrack including songs by E.L.O. and The Polyphonic Spree. The film's conclusion promises to satisfy viewers; it offers a beautiful metaphor for the end of a love affair that brings perfect closure to this excellent film.

Credits
Producer: Anthony Bregman, Steve Golin
Cast: David Cross, Elijah Wood, Jane Adams, Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Kirsten Dunst, Mark Ruffalo, Thomas Jay Ryan, Tom Wilkinson
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 10:27 am
Did I miss who's review that was and a link?

The doctor's wife part of the tale hits one right out of the blue. The films is unsettling because if mirrors so much of our human frailty and fallibility.
I am guessing those who don't like it are those who find it too close to their own home and are overly self-conscious.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 06:10 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Did I miss who's review that was and a link?

That was from underlined link in my last post, LW.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:03 pm
Can't find it -- the title link from that last post reaches E Bay. The one before that has no visible links.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:22 pm
Here you are, LW:

http://product.ebay.com/Eternal-Sunshine-of-the-Spotless-Mind_W0QQfvcsZ1177QQsoprZ30793153
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 11:11 pm
This is so sad.....I work in a video store and still haven't watched 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' even though almost all of my regular customers have loved the movie and recommended it.

My most recent discoveries have been "Finding Neverland", "Be Cool", "Hostage" and "Constantine".

"Motorcyle Diaries" is a foreign film and has subtitles, but I loved it for the scenery.

"Lightning in a Bottle" is one that slipped through the cracks and isn't rented often at all. If you like blues music ~ especially BB King, I recommend it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 11:15 pm
That doesn't have the review you copy-and-pasted and since they choose that it is not immediately available, and as E Bay has a terrible reputation for selling anything, I wouldn't trust any of their reviews. They're a marketing corporation. Well, duh.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 01:17 am
Click on the "More Information" javascript toggle in the eBay page, and msolga's synopsis will appear. The synopsis is taken from Muse, Inc.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 02:45 am
Thanks, InfraBlue.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 02:50 am
Hello again, Rae! Very Happy

You should keep us all informed about what's hot & what's not at your video shop! Very Happy How are you enjoying the work? You've been there for a while now ...
0 Replies