Terrific films on DVD & video ... Any suggestions?

eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 04:25 pm
@msolga,
Just letting you know, there's a site called ,movie2k, loads of free movies on it.

nudge nudge, wink wink.

I just watched " Stone " Good film, good cast.
msolga

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 01:03 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Thank you for the tip, euro, but honestly I don't watch nearly enough television on a regular basis to warrant the cost of cable. (Besides, I'm kinda not wealthy, exactly. Wink )
I also tend to watch films at home ( DVDs) in fits & bursts. I can go months when I'm too busy to indulge, then when I have lots of time (like now) I go overboard, catching up on what I've missed.
Right now I'm totally caught up with working my way through the HBO TV series, Six Feet Under ... a bit of an addiction.
I have watched so many programs in the past couple of weeks I feel as though I'm living in an undertaker's establishment. Smile
It's a wonderful series, though. Love it.
I must be the last person on the planet to have discovered it.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 06:13 am
@msolga,
I don't understand, if your on the web you should be able to get it.

www.movie2k.com

Basically free movies,
eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 06:17 am
@msolga,
The movies with the smiley face are best quality, sometimes it takes a while for a good copy to come in, other times their up before they hit the cinema. I like watching on 2gb, full screen and usually good quality.
Warning, it has an xxx section, so mind it with the kids.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 06:18 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Oh!
You're talking the web & not my tv set? Surprised
Sorry, I misunderstood.
(I'm not good at these fan dangled technical things!)
OK, I will check this out.
Thank you!
djjd62

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 06:27 am
recently re-watched the Infernal Affairs trilogy, great cop flicks from Hong Kong
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infernal_Affairs

the series is the basis for The Departed
msolga

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 06:33 am
@djjd62,
Ooh, that sounds interesting!
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 06:36 am
@msolga,
P.S. Don't mind the, Download this Movie, smiley. Ignore
msolga

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 06:37 am
@eurocelticyankee,
OK.
Will do. Smile
eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 02:01 pm
Sunshine.
The soundtrack is amazing, not a bad movie either. Loved it.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 10:12 pm
Has anybody seen the latest transfer of Fantasia (1940) on DVD or BluRay?
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 09:30 am
@msolga,
Here's a movie for you M. Hope you haven't already seen it.
Pause for 5 min's, lets it load. watch Full Screen. ENJOY.

http://www.2gb-hosting.com/v/b4c0b8e55e4b3ed32a80a22c50554919/a5b3d25b83e5df2.avi.html
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2010 10:01 am
i love this BBC series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallander_(British_TV_series)

Wallander is a British television series adapted from the Swedish novelist Henning Mankell's Kurt Wallander novels and starring Kenneth Branagh as the eponymous police inspector.

The protagonist, Kurt Wallander, is played by Kenneth Branagh. Branagh describes Wallander as "an existentialist who is questioning what life is about and why he does what he does every day, and for whom acts of violence never become normal. There's a level of empathy with the victims of crime that's almost impossible to contain, and one of the prices he pays for that sort of empathy is a personal life that's a kind of wasteland." In the novels, Wallander regularly listens to opera in his apartment and his car. This signature hobby has been dropped for this adaptation; producer Francis Hopkinson believes it would make Wallander too similar to Inspector Morse, whose love of opera is already familiar to British viewers. Branagh did not watch any of the Swedish Wallander films before playing the role, preferring to bring his own interpretation of the character to the screen.

Wallander's team at the Ystad police station is made up of: Anne-Britt Hoglund (played by Sarah Smart), Svedberg (played by Tom Beard), and Martinsson (played by Tom Hiddleston). Of Wallander and Hoglund, Smart said, "Our relationship is based on this impeccable mutual respect which is all very Scandinavian and, actually, more interesting to play." The team is joined at murder scenes by Nyberg (played by Richard McCabe), a forensics expert. The team is overseen by Lisa Holgersson (played by Sadie Shimmin), Ystad's chief of police. Away from the police station, Wallander has a tempestuous relationship with his daughter Linda (played by Jeany Spark), and his father Povel (played by David Warner), who Wallander discovers in Sidetracked has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. Wallander's father spends his days sitting in an art studio, painting the same landscape repeatedly. He is taken care of by his new wife Gertrude (played by Polly Hemingway).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 08:18 am
I've been watching a mixed bag of DVDs lately .... including a BBC series called Lillies (about a family in Liverpool after WW1) , which wasn't half bad. Quite engrossing, actually.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilies_%28BBC_TV_series%29

Yesterday I borrowed a few DVDs of movies from my library. Didn't know too much about any of them, so they'll be be a bit of a pot luck viewing experience.
Last night it was Sideways, about a week-long trip by two old friends, just before one of them is about to finally marry. The trouble is, one (Miles, the "serious", rather depressed one) had anticipated a wine tasting, golf playing holiday, while his about-to-be-married friend (Jack, a far more reckless proposition) sees it as his last chance to play up before his marriage.
Some good moments ... I learned about the art of wine tasting, amongst other things. Wink

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 04:40 am
Just finished watching an Iranian film called The Wind Will Carry Us.

http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9C06E1DD163DF93BA15754C0A9669C8B63

A group of journalists arrive at the remote village & wait for the death of an old woman, with the intention of documenting the mourning practices which will take place .... & spend most of their time waiting for the death ..
Meanwhile, there are knock-out visuals of the stunning country-side, the people, life in the Kurdish village where most of the action (if you could call it that! Smile ) takes place ...

The blurb on the DVD cover describes this film as "mesmerising" & a "visually stunning masterpiece". I can't argue with those descriptions. I just loved it!

Here's a sneak preev of the first 8 minutes.
Those of you who like more action in your films, please feel free to opt out before the 8 minutes are up. Wink

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2012 05:32 am
Any recommendations based on recent viewings, anyone?
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 02:59 pm
I am reviving this thread (because I can't find anywhere else to put it), basically because I've just been posting about a Camberwell Carrot on another thread, and it inspired me to watch this film again, because it's so good.

WITHNAIL AND I.

I have absolutely no idea as to whether this film was ever shown outside of the UK, but anyone who has fond memory lapses about the 60's and early 70's will no doubt get a kick out of this film.

Me? I sort of watched most of the early sixties through kid's eyes up until about 68 or 69, but had an older brother who lived it all, had the kaftan, the hair, the cool vinyl albums and the hippie friends, so this film almost exactly portrays a slice of his life from the age of about 18 through to 24.

By the time he was 24, I was old enough to join in but the whole sixties thing was fast on the wane by then, and I just missed the train. I was definitely a 70's boy.

Anyhoo, this gritty, funny, tragic, evocative film is about two out of work actors (layabouts, basically) who rent a squalid house in a run down part of London.
The 60's decade is all but over bar the shouting, and our two boys are in the living room with Danny ( philosopher drug dealer) and 'Presumin' Ed, a black guy who is really stoned.
Danny has just rolled his speciality, a Camberwell Carrot (because he invented it in Camberwell, and it looks like a carrot) and is just about to light it.
Withnail (Richard E Grant) is giggly stoned, and 'I' (Paul McGann) is coming down from a heavy session and is 'feeling the fear'.

Highly recommended for anyone who wants to study hippie London in 1969.

My favourite line in this scene is from Danny the Drug dealer :

"They're selling hippie wigs in Woolworths, man. The greatest decade in the history of man is over, and as Presumin Ed has consistently pointed out....we have failed to paint it black."

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 03:15 pm
@Lordyaswas,
And someone's top 10 moments.....

0 Replies