Terrific films on DVD & video ... Any suggestions?

LarryBS

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 01:34 am
Very pleasantly surprised by Lantana. I didn't read hardly anything about it beforehand, all I heard was it got some very positive reviews.
0 Replies

ferrous

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 09:44 am
My wife and I recently watched "Chocolat" and last night we watched "Amelie." Both foreign films with subtitles.

I highly recommend both... ferrous
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 11:52 am
msolga ~ fun, excrutiating and man was I tired after watching it!
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 02:34 pm
There's a movie, with Nicholas Cage, and Penelope Cruz, "Captain _______'s Mandolin" Besides being a love story, it is an unusual view of WWII.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 04:11 pm
Captain Corelli's Mandolin. I liked the book much better! (It was called Corelli's Mandolin.) But then, I have trouble with Nicholas Cage, so that's not exactly an impartial opinion...

The scenery was lovely!
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 04:22 pm
Unfaithful was verra nekkid. Handsome French guy does it everywhere he can with Diane Lane.

Sad story, though, to me.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 05:01 pm
No argument there, LG.

Nekkid French guy.....oh my my my..... Embarrassed
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 06:32 pm
Oh mac, you're killing me, I love Nicholas Cage. He was hilarious in Raising Arizona with Holly Hunter, but he was the saddest figure I've ever seen in Leaving Las Vegas, the most depressing film I ever loved. Have to admit he irritated me in Peggy Sue Got Married.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 12:27 am
Cage irritated me in Peggy Sue, in Moonstruck, in Snake Eyes. As you can see, I'm still seeing his films - which is more than can be said about a few other actors. I agree that he was very funny in Raising Arizona. I found Leaving Las Vegas so sad that I have trouble saying anything positive about it - ok, Cage's style did seem to fit that character well.

I haven't given up on him, since he seems to do better with some parts or some directors, but I feel that I've seen his whole bag of tricks already. Maybe he'll surprise me!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 12:43 am
I dunno.....I liked him in 'Moonstruck'. As well as 'ConAir' and 'Gone in 60 Seconds'.....'Faceoff' was pretty good, too.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 12:46 am
He's supposed to be good in Adaptation, playing twin brothers. I don't like him in adventure type movies like that thing with Travolta, who I really dislike in thrillers, or at least when he's the bad guy. Whoops, forgot about Pulp Fiction, loved him in that. Never mind, I'll shut up.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 12:50 am
I enjoyed 'Face-Off'.....

Never saw 'Leaving Las Vegas'.....on my never-ending list.....
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 01:01 am
I thought Cage and Travolta, did incredible jobs, in Face/Off. The way they both played each other, pretending to be each other, was awesome, and quite subtle for an "action" movie....BTW, for pure visual aesthetics, I recommend, any John Woo movie.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 01:04 am
I'm pretty media-challenged.....Sorry.....Who is John Woo?
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 01:15 am
He's a Drector who was tops in his native Hong Kong, and came to America, in the mid, or early 90's, and is rising to the top here.
... His specialty is action scenes, done with balletic, grace. He is a former dancer. He has done, Face/Off, Mission Impossible II, among others. He iis linked to Chow Yung Fat, like Scorsese, to De Niro.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 01:18 am
Thanks, Booman. I loved MI2.....at least now I can think back to the reasons why I loved it so much and I believe Mr. Woo had a lot to do with it!
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 02:28 am
I loved his The Killer, saw it years ago, before he was that well known here.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 04:11 pm
Wasn't Chun Yow Fat in that one?

BTW,If you like human interest, mixed in with your action, I highly reccomend, "The Professional". Jean Reno, is a paid assasin, with principle, and has to take a young Natalie Portman, under his wing, when her family is murdered. And if that isn't enough, toss in a psychotic, Gary Oldman, as the villain....whoo-boy! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 04:31 pm
I've got the dvd of that, except its the, I think, European version, called Leon the Professional. Great movie.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 02:37 pm
Another favorite black-and-white classic is Stanley Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

Very satirical; still very timely in light of current events.
0 Replies