Terrific films on DVD & video ... Any suggestions?

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:39 am
I can understand your "thing", panzade. She's beautiful. Such a convincing portrayal of grief, loss & denial.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:42 am
... & as for the performance of the woman who played her mother-in-law! Evil & hatred personified!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:43 am
Who was the actress?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:50 am
Not sure, panzade. Just looked at the credits & can't figure out which one she is. Evil, wizened & wrinkle creation she was, suggesting that the disband disappeared to escape the boredom of his marriage.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:14 am
Andrée Tainsy? She's in Sous le sable (Under the Sand) and was born in 1911, a famous "Old Lady" actress.

We loved a film we watched last week, Good Bye Lenin! -- it's about a young man whose mother wakes from a coma not knowing that the Berlin wall has fallen. I also saw Inch'Allah dimanche, which is a French-Algerian film with great acting by the lead actress, Fejria Deliba. Both were in DVD and worth a peek.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:16 am
Good Bye Lenin got boffo reviews...thanks for the tip Piff.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:24 am
Sure. I liked the other even more and it had a good short with it, Schwarzreiter -- that means black rider and refers to someone who is caught on public transportation without a ticket.

My friend and I started running our library's film programming last spring so I spend a lot of time picking out films. These a2k threads have been great for helping to find good films!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:25 am
That might be the one, Piffka. She was certainly old! What a creepy, powerful performance!

Er .... I'd be interested in what you & panzade made of the end of Sand ... where she accepts her husband's death, then sees him on the beach & runs toward him .... I'm trying to decide whether she intended to join him in death, decided that she couldn't let go of his memory & move on, or ....?

Yep Goodbye Leningot great reviews here, too. Mant to see it, but it was gone is a flash!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:28 am
Olga -- It's on DVD! I'm going to try and see that Sand film. There was a film about an Italian woman who gets fed up with her family and disappears for a while, but she's done it on her own. I loved that one, can't remember the name just now... but she was spunky!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:32 am
I'll have to borrow it then, Piffka! Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 08:04 am
msolga wrote:
That might be the one, Piffka. She was certainly old! What a creepy, powerful performance!

I found these two photos online... do they look like her? I feel badly saying she was an "old lady" actress when obviously she was once young & attractive <sigh> & apparently quite a reknowned actress. (Sorry Andrée...)

http://photosdespectacles.free.fr/sujets/melodie6/images/135-3586_IMG.jpg

http://www.bernard-luc.com/cinema/ciel/vph-tainsy-ciel.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 08:15 am
Yes! But more craggy & wrinkled! And spooky!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 07:09 am
I rented a copy of Lost in Translation last night & liked it a lot. Loved the frenetic scenes of life in Tokyo & the way that the relationship between the two main characters evolved.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 03:30 am
I like how the two characters remained friends and didn't take their relationship further.

I was kind of dreading the possibility that they might take it further when they were lying in bed together.

I was relieved that they didn't.

Given Hollywood's propensity to sexually hook-up young actresses with old actors, I'm glad Coppola had the integrity and maturity not to in this movie.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 05:24 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
..Given Hollywood's propensity to sexually hook-up young actresses with old actors, I'm glad Coppola had the integrity and maturity not to in this movie.

Laughing Yes! I'm glad it didn't degenerate into fantasy, InfraBlue! Imagine if a bloke had written the script! :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 05:29 pm
Does anyone remember "The Gods Must be Crazy"? Loved that one.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 04:37 am
The Gods must be Crazy (and its sequel) are popular all over the world (because much of its content is visual comedy which needs no translation). The absurd plot of part 1 is only outdone by the truly amazing performances of the San children in part 2. I count these films among the few flicks that have actually made me laugh out loud.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 05:25 am
I just finished watching All Quiet On the Western Front. <sniff>
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 05:46 am
I'm back into the DVD & video renting market ... & looking for further great suggestions. A random selection chosen on Friday night:

Cold Mountain
The Royal Tenebaums
Imagining Argentina
Wonder Boys

Not the greatest choice at my (quick walk to) movie rental shop. I choose the best, or most interesting looking, of what was available.

Any great viewing from you folk? Any recommendations? Much appreciated! Very Happy
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 06:45 am
Msolga.
.....I know I am ve-e-e-rry late, but I just stumbled upon the first page of this post, noticed that you enjoyed "Chinatown" I saw the sequel, "The Two Jakes" first, and like that the best. have you seen it?'
0 Replies