Terrific films on DVD & video ... Any suggestions?

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 09:23 am
Aha! Thanks, Infrablue -- it isn't strictly and synopsis, it's also a review. It isn't in the TOS that one should not post something unoriginal without the appropriate links but it's a good idea. I didn't have the time to search through to the source but I suggest that IMDb is best for actual synopsis that do not have spoilers imbeded in them.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 09:57 pm
Hello msolga! Good to see you!

Yep, seems like forever that I've been working at the store. One year and three months ~ I can't believe that much time has gone by.

I really should stop by here once a week and let ya'll know what's renting and what isn't.

The new release DUD for this week is 'Zodiac Killer'.

Blah! Mad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 10:12 pm
Lovely to see you again, too, Rae! Very Happy Very Happy

One year & 3 months already? Surprised I remember when you were going for that job! And here you are an old hand, already! Amazing how time flies, hey?

Yes, Rae, do stop by here, often! That'd be terrific! Very Happy
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 11:33 pm
Okay, here I am again! :wink:

The new releases for Tuesday, August 2 are 'Alexander', 'Downfall' and 'Guess Who'.

Because of the negative responses I received from customers who went to the theatre to watch 'Alexander', I didn't preview it this weekend. Which is my habit ~ I'll wait for another week to get responses from customers that I see often and then give the movie a go or not.

I'm tired of Ashton Kutcher (in 'Guess Who') so I didn't even bother with his new movie. I'll watch it after it's been on the shelf for thirty days. It's probably funny, but not a 'must-see'.

'Downfall' will be the sleeper movie that does well on video. It didn't last long in theatres, but it's worth watching. And that movie will be my recommendation for the week.

See ya'll Friday!

(I'm looking forward to 'Because of Winn Dixie' ~ that's the only hopefull movie on the horizon.)
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 11:39 pm
Oh yeah!

I forgot to mention 'The Upside of Anger' ~ Kevin Costner's new film.

Joan Allen does a remarkable job as a mom going through an emotional breakdown.

This film did not do well in theatres, but I've recommended it to all of my regular customers and they've all enjoyed it, so far.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 12:24 am
Thank you for that up-to-the-minute report, Rae! Very Happy
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 09:39 pm
Just wondering if the film 'Birth' starring Nicole Kidman has been discussed yet.

I previewed it before it hit the shelves and was dumfounded through the whole thing. When it was over my first reaction was 'I can't believe I wasted my time watching that'. After I had some time to think about it, I was glad that I watched it.

Even bought the darn thing.

Any other comments?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 01:00 am
Not as yet, Rae. (Coz I haven't seen it.)

Can you tell us a bit more about it?
0 Replies

JAAF

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 04:07 pm
I thought I might be able to help since I've seen the movie "Birth."
I really liked this movie, for two reasons: 1. Nicole Kidman and Jonathan Glazer are in it! 2. It's absolutely amazing and so worth watching.

Kidman is this woman who her husband has died, and she believes that a kid might be her reincarnated husband. It's a great thriller\romance movie.
My rating for the movie would be 4/5.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 10:23 pm
Thanks, J.A.A.F.!

I thought the movie was too slow, but it sucked me in ~ just like a Lifetime movie.

There was some controversy about the film because of certain scenes with Nicole Kidman and the young boy who had supposedly been reincarnated as her dead husband.

I won't give too much away, msolga ~ let me just say that the child knows an awful lot about Kidman's life in a mysterious way. :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 11:34 pm
Hmmmmmmmmmmm! Interesting, Rae! Very Happy
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 11:57 pm
Alexander - I didn't like much
Guess Who - very much race reversal, but I did laugh alot
XXX - dumb
King's Ransom - dumb
Constantine - thought it was interesting - liked the CGI
Blast - don't waste your time
Million Dollar Baby - like it but hated ending
Hide & Seek - I liked it until the ending
Pacifier - Funny & dumb
0 Replies

JAAF

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 05:16 am
You're welcome, Rae!

May I suggest that you watch "Kingdom of Heaven" it's an interesting movie! I bet you'll like it if you liked (Alexander, Troy, Gladiator.) Then you'll absolutely love it.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 11:46 am
J.A.A.F. wrote:
You're welcome, Rae!

May I suggest that you watch "Kingdom of Heaven" it's an interesting movie! I bet you'll like it if you liked (Alexander, Troy, Gladiator.) Then you'll absolutely love it.

Your going to cause me to rent Kingdom again today - I cannot remember it. LOL
0 Replies

JAAF

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 03:38 pm
Laughing Will it help reading the review again, perhaps?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 10:54 pm
J.A.A.F. ~ thanks for the suggestions. Believe it or not, a friend just let me borrow 'Gladiator' and 'Troy', but I haven't had time to watch them yet. Tomorrow I'll see if I can pick up 'Kingdom of Heaven'.

I've gotten a lot of negative results, so far, about 'Alexander'.

Tons of folks have been renting 'Guess Who', 'XXX State of the Union', and 'Hide and Seek'. I agree with Husker about 'Pacifier' ~ it was a pretty good family movie, but dumb. Clearly, comedy is not Vin's forte!

Ya'll have a great day ~ I'll be back soon! Very Happy
0 Replies

JAAF

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 01:19 am
You know, Gladiator and Troy are better than Alexander. I think you'll love it! I've seen Troy five times and still can't get enough of it. Laughing

Guess who is a great movie. Very Happy
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 06:51 pm
J.A.A.F. ~ I promise to make time to watch 'Gladiator' and 'Troy' this weekend.

I don't work at the store again until tomorrow night, so we'll see how well 'Guess Who' did. So far, everyone seems to be enjoying 'Man of the House' with Tommy Lee Jones.

I missed my chance to watch 'Because of Winn Dixie' for free, so I'll have to wait another thirty days. In the meantime, I'll soak up everyone's opinions.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 09:44 pm
'Because of Winn Dixie' tomorrow! tonight we watched "Downfall"
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 11:36 pm
Well, I lied. I still haven't watch 'Troy' or 'Gladiator' ~ can't seem to find the time. I'll get to them eventually.

As usual, I didn't have time to preview the new releases for this week ~ 'Sin City' and 'Wedding Date'.

'Wedding Date' had sold-out before my shift started at six. I had one copy of 'Sin City' left when I closed.

I thought the previews for 'Sin City' looked pretty good, but I'm getting mixed reactions from customers and coworkers who've already seen it. Mostly leaning towards not worth seeing. We'll see what happens tomorrow when the returns come in.

I had no clue 'Wedding Date' was even coming out (for rent) and have no comment yet.

I've recommended 'Upside of Anger' (with Kevin Costner) to all of my regular customers and have gotten great comments about the film. Two weeks after it's release, we can't keep it on the shelf. I was pleased.

'Stone Cold', with Tom Selleck, is slowly picking up speed. It's one of our 'sleepers' and we expect it to be unavailable for a bit from word-of-mouth.

An old 'sleeper' that I highly recommend ~ 'Shattered Glass'. (If I'm repeating myself, please forgive me.) Based on a true story and absolutely gut-wrenching if you don't have the stomach to see someone exposed to their barest. Emotionally, I mean.

That's me for the night. See ya'll later! Very Happy
0 Replies