Terrific films on DVD & video ... Any suggestions?

msolga

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 06:31 am
@tsarstepan,
I've only hear The Prairie Home Companion on radio, tsar.

Was a bit worried that it might destroy some of the magic on film.

Hmmm. ....Might consider it.

msolga

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 04:37 pm
@msolga,
(Posting late, last night ... Neutral )

I meant to say I'd only ever heard The Prairie Home Companion on radio. (Loved it!) And wondered how it might translate to film. Imagining the characters & performers was half the fun.

Oh, watched Rhapsody in August (Kurosawa). A gentle, thoughtful viewing experience. Not at all what I'd expected.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 04:43 pm
@msolga,
I'm glad you liked Rhapsody in August. A great look into a growing family and their shared family history.
msolga

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 04:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yes. And weren't those children delightful? (Why don't they make then like that anymore? Wink )

Say nothing of grandma. What a life, what a story.

Very touching.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 05:14 pm
@msolga,
Just saw your post about The Lemon Tree! Thanks for including a link to your review, I enjoyed reading it. I've recommended this film to several friends and they thought it was terrific, too, asking me how I find all these little-advertised movies. Our local Blockbuster got in exactly one copy when it was released, so if you blinked, you missed it lol.

We're watching The Cove tonight. It was well reviewed both on IMDB and rottentomatoes.com. I think it's also Oscar nominated (not 100% sure about that). I plan to have a box of tissues nearby since I'm sure that I, at least, will need them.
djjd62

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 05:17 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
I meant to say I'd only ever heard The Prairie Home Companion on radio. (Loved it!) And wondered how it might translate to film. Imagining the characters & performers was half the fun.

if you like The Prairie Home Companion, you'd probably like The Vinyl Cafe

http://www.cbc.ca/vinylcafe/home.php

the shows are available to listen to online or as a podcast

it's a sort of musical variety show, the host Stuart McLean often takes the show on the road and incorporates local stories and musicians into the performance

the central theme of the show are The Vinyl Cafe stories about Dave, owner of the second hand record store. The stories also feature Dave's wife, Morley, their two children, Sam and Stephanie, and assorted friends and neighbours.

The motto of Dave's store - and of the radio show - is "We May Not Be Big, But We're Small".

the stories are also collected in book form or on CD
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 05:19 pm
@Irishk,
The Cove is on the short list of the Academy's Best Documentary Award. Nominations are out yet.
msolga

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 05:21 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
"We May Not Be Big, But We're Small".

Smile

Thank you, djjd!
I've been listening to quite a bit of Canadian radio recently, courtesy of links from you & ehBeth. Good stuff!

Will check this out a little later on today. Sounds like fun.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 05:22 pm
@djjd62,
It better be good djjd, this Vinyl Cafe! Razz Or I'll ask for my money back in form of a bank check --> $0 made out to cash.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 05:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
Doh! Have you seen it yet? I won't make it to all of them, but I try to see as many nominated films as I can so I'll at least know what they're talking about when I watch the show.

The Hurt Locker and Bright Star were also contenders for tonight, but The Cove won lol.
djjd62

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 05:26 pm
@msolga,
i'll see if i can find the story Dave Cooks The Turkey (a Christmas favourite) and upload it
msolga

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 05:27 pm
@djjd62,
Wonderful. Thanks, djjd.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 05:30 pm
@Irishk,
Let me correct my typo. The nominations aren't out yet.
Quote:
Feb. 2
• Academy Award nominations announced

http://theenvelope.latimes.com/events/shows/env-awards_master_calendar,0,1887292.htmlstory?coll=env-shows
msolga

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 07:56 pm
@Irishk,
Sorry, Irishk, I missed your post earlier. (Dunno how I did that! Confused )

Yes, wonderful little film, Lemon Tree. Luckily for me, I have a terrific cinema down the road a bit, that regularly shows these little gems. Even so, they can be gone in a flash!

I know nothing about the Cove. I'm going to have to do a bit of Rotten Tomato-ing to find out more.

Let us know what you think after seeing it, OK? Smile
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 09:51 pm
Just watched Network with William Holden, Faye Dunaway, Robert Duvall and Peter Finch.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 09:55 pm
@eoe,
EOE? Are you MAD AS HELL and you're not going to take this anymore?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 06:48 am
I don't know if I've mentioned this one here or not, but recently I watched it again. One of my all time favourites. I won't say much more about it. The Ebert & Roeper clip below does a much better job than I could, anyway. An absolutely wonderful film about death & life & what it all means. Not as bleak as that sounds. Lots of laughter & fun, too.

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/custom/47/10002847.jpg

http://au.rottentomatoes.com/m/barbarian_invasions/
msolga

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 07:01 am
@msolga,
Youtube trailer for The Barbarian Invasions.
(Try & disregard the smarmy voice-over. Erk.)

0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2010 07:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
The Cove did get nominated for Best Documentary (feature). It's up against Food, Inc., though, which will probably win. Maybe not, though. Powerful film. I was mesmerized (in the sense that even when it was difficult to watch, I couldn't stop watching).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2010 06:12 am
Just finished watching this one, The Visitor, just now. I thought it was quite a good film, though marred by a few plot developments which stretched credibility little (like Walter playing playing the African drum at the end of the film ... presumably busking?) I think it's probably one of those films that you sympathized with politically (I did) or else you didn't ... if you did, you went along with a few developments that you mightn't have if you weren't too sympathetic. If that makes sense. There were no happy endings to this story (apart from Walter being shaken out of his stupor & gaining a fresh perspective on life) but it was a very interesting journey, anyway. Richard Jenkins & Hiam Abbass both delivered terrific performances.

Quote:
Synopsis: .... In actor and filmmaker Tom McCarthy’s follow-up to his award winning directorial debut The Station Agent, Richard Jenkins (Six Feet Under) stars as a disillusioned Connecticut economics professor whose life is transformed by a chance encounter in New York City.

Sixty-two-year-old Walter Vale (Jenkins) is sleepwalking through his life. Having lost his passion for teaching and writing, he fills the void by unsuccessfully trying to learn to play classical piano. When his college sends him to Manhattan to attend a conference, Walter is surprised to find a young couple has taken up residence in his apartment. Victims of a real estate scam, Tarek (Haaz Sleiman), a Syrian man, and Zainab (Danai Gurira), his Senegalese girlfriend, have nowhere else to go. In the first of a series of tests of the heart, Walter reluctantly allows the couple to stay with him.

Touched by his kindness, Tarek, a talented musician, insists on teaching the aging academic to play the African drum. The instrument’s exuberant rhythms revitalize Walter’s faltering spirit and open his eyes to a vibrant world of local jazz clubs and Central Park drum circles. As the friendship between the two men deepens, the differences in culture, age and temperament fall away.

After being stopped by police in the subway, Tarek is arrested as an undocumented citizen and held for deportation. As his situation turns desperate, Walter finds himself compelled to help his new friend with a passion he thought he had long ago lost. When Tarek’s beautiful mother Mouna (Hiam Abbass) arrives unexpectedly in search of her son, the professor’s personal commitment develops into an unlikely romance. ....

Rotten Tomatoes reviews, trailer, etc :
http://au.rottentomatoes.com/m/visitor/

0 Replies