Terrific films on DVD & video ... Any suggestions?

Hazlitt

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 10:29 pm
Sofia, I agree with you that Pieces of April was a really good movie.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 04:09 pm
Shattered Glass
Shattered Glass is a very well done film that is also of importance. The movie tells the story of Stephen Glass, writer for The New Republic magazine, who passed off twenty or-so phony stories as authentic, and they were all published. It seems that this problem is coming up repeatedly these days. So here is a movie that shows how it can happen despite strenuous effort on the part of the publication to protect itself.

There is nothing dull or uninteresting about this film. It is, in fact, a bit of a nail- biter. As the story unfolds and as the tension builds, the viewer feels the conflict and impending disaster, and at times wonders where his/er sympathies should lie.

This is one of the better movies I've seen in the last few months.

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/2003/11/110705.html
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 04:18 pm
It's on my NetFlix queue as I missed it at the movies.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 09:20 pm
Hzlitt your back, everyone has been wondering why you left us.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 06:15 am
Kundun. I picked it up at my local library today, not really knowing what to expect. It was very good! . So difficult to watch the non-violent Tibetan Buddhists having to endure invasion by the Chinese army.

http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/review.asp?id=52147
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 10:21 am
I agree -- another artistically realized but very realistic film by Scorcese. The Glass soundtrack is in my CD collection.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 12:17 am
That beautiful music was Glass? Didn't realize. I'm going to get a copy, too! It added so much to the mood of the film.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 09:02 am
If you've seen the "Matrix" films the scores are very influenced by Philip Glass (composer Don Davis).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 06:22 am
Tonight I watched Snow Falling On Cedars again. I enjoyed it so much more this time. (Think I was very distracted bt Life the first time around & easily distracted.) Even though it could be seen as very slow paced, almost ponderous, I actually liked the gentle pace, the darkness of mood, the concentration on small moments in time .... A wonderful sense of atmosphere in the isolated small town. The situation of the Japanese citizens was very moving, too.
0 Replies

tydurden88

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 08:47 pm
heres some good ones-

fight club
american history X
clockwork orange
primal fear
rounders
se7en
and thats all i can think of
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 05:25 am
Looking for a review
Hi,

I am looking for a review of the film 28 Days Later (not to be confused with 28 Days, which is a Sandra Bullock romantic flick). I came across it while drafting my list of "all movies I have ever seen" and the plot interested me. The film did not make it to the one cinema we have in my town and I am awaiting its video release here.

Is it worth watching?
0 Replies

smog

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 05:35 am
"28 Days Later" doesn't have much dialogue and uses the whole suspense thing a lot, but it's a decent film to check out, if only for the camera work and interesting shots. Actually, the plot isn't that bad, and it probably deviates from the expected course a few times. Plus, if you get the DvD, you can check out the various alternate endings and storyboards, which make this particular movie much more interesting. I'd say it's worth seeing if you are into the whole suspense/thriller genre.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 05:43 am
LarryBS wrote:
I loved them both, but Sixth Sense more. Don't know why. Just like that creepy feeling they gave me, I thought they were very well done. Maybe I'm a bit slow on the uptake with cinema surprises.

If you like surprise twists at the end, try the occult thriller Angel Heart. I was fooled by the title to think it was a romantic flick so I got off on the wrong footing. When the truth was revealed at the end of the story, I could kick myself for not having seen through it earlier Embarrassed
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 05:47 am
smog wrote:
I'd say it's worth seeing if you are into the whole suspense/thriller genre.

Thanks, what attracted my attention was that the plot starts out much as in The Day of the Triffids, except that the opponents in this case are not plants, but fast moving humans, which makes it more interesting.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 06:00 am
And boy do they move fast!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 05:15 pm
I'm half way through a (repeat) viewing of an Oz production made for TV. After The Deluge. It's about a father & his 3 very different adult sons & how the onset of Alzheimers disease affects their lives. Also about "men attempting to define themselves in a post-feminist world."
It's intelligent, beautifully made, engrossing & the acting is superb. Hugo Weaving, David Wedham, Ray Barrett, Samuel Johnson, Rachel Griffiths, etc. Great music & atmosphere. If it ever appears on cable try to catch it! Quality stuff!
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 11:03 pm
I have finally seen 28 Days Later. I guess it was a decent flick, but still I preferred The Day of the Triffids, which clearly is the blue print for this film. 28 Days Later is heavy on the violence, but lacking in the human touch. The protagonists are equally if not more violent than both their human and their zombie-like opponents.

And whereas in The Day of the Triffids the triffids act (semi-intelligently) in line of what can be expected of plants, 28 Days Later leaves quite a few question marks.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 04:46 am
Last night I finally saw Cafe Paradiso on video. So now I see what people have been talking about for yonks. Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:34 am
Have just finished watching a video of Under the Sand. It's about a woman's reaction to the death/disappearance of her husband. Charlotte Rampling is totally convincing as the wife refusing to fully acknowledge that her husband is gone. Excellent performance in a really engrossing film.

http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/33/underthesand.html
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:36 am
I have a thing for Charlotte and Under is a very unappreciated film
0 Replies