Terrific films on DVD & video ... Any suggestions?

pieman

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 11:44 am
mac11 and msolga ...... thank you Very Happy
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 08:15 pm
I just watched another Kevin Spacy flick on HBO. It was called Swimming with Sharks. This is worth a watch with cable viewers, not necessarily a video purchace.

It was about a college grad who worked for an abusive employer. I guess you can say he went postal?! There were some things very worth listening to that were of substance, but hard to catch the film. I need another view!

HBO subscribers, it's on now. It is worth a look! Swimming with Sharks, I believe the name is. It did catch me off guard, but my daugher noticed Keven Spacey and likes him, so we watched it. It really was worth it.
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 09:57 pm
Scarface, Seven, Donnie Darko and Romper Stomper.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 04:55 am
BWShooter

I was very engrossed in Donny Darko & Romper Stomper, too. Very different, though, yes?
Welcome to A2K! Very Happy
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 05:14 am
Luchino Visconti's The Leopard is going to be released on DVD.
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 06:02 pm
msolga wrote:
BWShooter

I was very engrossed in Donny Darko & Romper Stomper, too. Very different, though, yes?
Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

they are very engrossing and thank you.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 06:05 pm
I love hearing the movie suggestions! At least I know what to look for.

Has anyone heard of this one. I am told by my son's artsy friend that this has never been released in theater, but won some independent film award, or something like that!

The name is The Boondock Saints. There is language and violence. It is about two Irish immigrant brothers killing mofia with the thought they are doing God's will.

Not my type of movie at all! I only watched in because this kid insisted it was a must see and brought it to me. They are big kids of about 17 and 18, but still kids to me. This guy is very interested in arts or I would have probably blown him off thinking it was some stupid teen flick.

Most men will probably like The Boodock Saints. Women will probably be very surprised, as I was, and like it too, if you can handle voilence and language. Definitely worthy of mention!!
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 02:29 pm
if you enjoy scary films:
Dog Soldiers (not your typical werewolf story)
Cannibal Holocaust
Suspiria
City of the Walking Dead
0 Replies

John Garvey

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 09:53 am
The recent release of "Schindler's List" on DVD got me into holocaust films. After 3+ hours of watching it I realized I hadn't watched "Shoah" again for at least 5 years. So I did. All 9+ hours of it. I had taped it when it was shown on public television about 1985. I see it is now available on DVD. Well worth adding to your permanent collection. And Alain Resnais' "Night and Fog" is a powerful 30 minute introduction to the holocaust horrors.
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 06:04 pm
a friend told me Real Women Have Curves is a film worth watching.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 06:33 pm
Check out "Billy Elliot" a British film about a striking coal miner's son who is supposed to be taking boxing lessons but takes ballet lessons on the sly instead. Good music from The Clash to Tchaikovski and, of course, a lot of dancing, but little ballet, by the protagonist. The strong British accents are a bit difficult to follow, but that is easily offset by the passion.

I'll ditto a prior recommendation, "Funny Bones" with Oliver Platt and Lee Evans. Some great performances by Platt and Evans, who play half brothers who are both comics in a tragic way. It opens with a botched drug deal for the plant of immortality. The plot is a bit difficult to follow at times, but the movie is so intriguing you'll want to watch it multiple times.

If you're male and had a less than ideal relationship with your father or none at all--doesn't that fit amost everybody?-- try "Orphans" about two very dysfunctional brothers. Warning: it's like a $150 trip to the therapist with a gut-wrenching ending. Starring Kevin Anderson, Mathew Modine, and Albert Finney.

If you can find it, by all means watch "True West" with Gary Sinese and John Malkovitch. It's not a western at all but about one brother who's trying to write a play and his intimidating small-time thief of a brother. It's more of a play on film with only two other characters in small roles. The video regularly appears on Ebay, but the bidding is furious and reaches over $50.

I also recommend "American Beauty" as many others here have. I read the movie script and the movie made a few changes, and plainly stated things that were only briefly hinted at in the film.
For one, the weird drug-dealing boy and his girlfriend--Kevin Spacey's daughter--were charged with and tried for murder. Second, the psychotic played by Chris Cooper had a homosexual affair in Vietnam.

I noticed many comments on "Adaptation." Though I haven't seen the movie, I have frequently hiked in the Fakahatchee Strand Preserve swamp in Florida where the orchids were stolen.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 07:58 pm
Follow this link to a great one in imho: Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:F7X-jjmr44EJ:www.addmovies.com/images/covers/2002-10-30-16-58-18.jpg
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 11:36 pm
SOME GOOD MOVIES I'VE SEEN LATELY
It's hard to know with recent movies whether they'll stand the test of time. It seems more movies are being produced and there are less classics...who knows. I enjoyed "Laurel Canyon" with Frances McDermond and "13" was well acted. The script was written by a thirteen year old.Of course "Cold Mountain" and "Mystic River" are engrossing. My tip for an obscure American comedy is "The Ref" with Dennis Leary. It came out about five years ago.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 11:46 pm
Postscript: I was reading the excellent previous postings and Kevin Spaceys name jarred two of his great flicks loose.

Glengerry Glenn Ross- Jack Lemmon and Alec Baldwin shine

The Usual Suspects-I've watched this move countless times and still find something new.
0 Replies

pieman

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 08:36 am
Re: SOME GOOD MOVIES I'VE SEEN LATELY
panzade wrote:
It's hard to know with recent movies whether they'll stand the test of time. It seems more movies are being produced and there are less classics...who knows. .

panzade ..... I tend to agree with your statement. I have not seen any of the movies you mentioned. Last night I saw Alfred Hitchcock's "North by Northwest" with Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint. I don't know if it would be considered a classic. I found it to be a bit corny but still enjoyable.
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:37 pm
Big Fish is coming out soon. I wonder how the resident cinema expert lightwizard would critique that film.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:41 pm
Sounds like you're baiting your hook to me...lol
0 Replies

pieman

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 08:28 pm
I don't know if it has been mentioned before under this topic but we just watched the dvd - "The Quiet American" with Michael Caine and Brendan Fraser. Based on a novel by Graham Greene it is a good story which is well acted. It is set in Vietnam in the early l950s and involves a love triangle, war and much intrigue.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 08:53 pm
Pieces of April---
Ex-junkie daughter fixes T'giving Dinner (against all possible odds) while pot-smoking, cancer-ridden mother and assorted dysfunctional family drives in.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 10:50 am
Ditto "The Quiet American"

Check into the New DVD's in this section for what is coming out new on DVD.
0 Replies