Hundreds of Armed Right-Wing Militia Members Take Over Federal Building

bobsal u1553115

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 06:06 am
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
layman

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 08:14 am
Quote:
Oregon standoff spokesman Robert "LaVoy" Finicum was killed and other leaders of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge occupation were arrested Tuesday after the FBI and state police stopped vehicles about 20 miles north of Burns.

Ryan Bundy, 43, of Bunkerville, Nev., suffered a minor gunshot wound in the confrontation about 4:30 p.m. along U.S. 395. He was treated and released from a local hospital and was in FBI custody, authorities said.

Nevada Assemblywoman Michele Fiore said that Ammon Bundy called his wife, Lisa Bundy, from the back of a police car on Tuesday night. Fiore, a vocal supporter of the Bundy family, said that Ammon Bundy told his wife that Finicum was cooperating with police when he was shot.

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/01/bundys_in_custody_one_militant.html

A clear case of cold-blooded murder, sho nuff, eh?

0 Replies

layman

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 08:17 am
Same source:

Quote:
In the meantime, Operation Mutual Defense, a network of militias and patriot sympathizers, issued a call on its website for help at the refuge..."You have an obligation to proceed to the Harney County Resource Center (the wildlife refuge) immediately," Hunt wrote. "If you fail to arrive, you will demonstrate by your own actions that your previous statements to defend life, liberty, and property were false."

Gunna see some ACTION, sho nuff!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 08:32 am
Many of the militants took off from the refuge, but Blaine Cooper, David Fry and an unknown other number of people are still armed at the wildlife refuge and are vowing to fight with the FBI, who gave them a deadline of 4 AM PDT to surrender. That deadline has come and gone and the militants are still occasionally live streaming. They could be heard on the broadcast overnight saying they were prepared to die at the refuge and hoped the live stream would capture the events.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/1/27/1475745/-Oregon-standoff-update-8-in-custody-1-killed-militants-still-surrounded-in-standoff-with-FBI?detail=facebook
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 09:08 am
@Setanta,
I agree that it's a shame someone died, but I tend to agree with layman' semi-farciful take that it's not only not over, it may escalate. I will not be surprised to learn that the deceased precipitated the gun fire, but neither will I be shocked if turns out one of the local lawmen got trigger happy. In any case one of the "patriots" is dead, and that is going to stoke fury and paranoia among those who remain.

Most people don't want to die even though they declare they are prepared to but there could easily be one or more remaining occupier who really wouldn't mind going out in a blaze of glory.

The FBI negotiators have their work cut out for them.

There's been a lot of mockery of the occupiers in this thread, but there are, for certain, some hard cases among them that none of those doing the mocking would care to insult to their faces. Men of violence are not all mere cowardly bullies who back down in the face of superior force.

I hope I'm wrong and that those who remain all have something worth living for that trumps what they say they have that is worth dying for, otherwise some people who really would rather not die may very well do so.
0 Replies

BillRM

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 09:09 am
@edgarblythe,
What ever the government decide to do I can only hope that they do not place any federal agents at risk over these fools.

Lot of ways to either use stand off weapons and or heavy armor vehicles full of gas to deal with these nuts.

In the first rebellion the federal government face Washington and Hamilton deal with it by using overwhelming force and that is still in my opinion the best way of dealing with the matter.
edgarblythe

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 09:17 am
I don't believe anybody wants a massacre. Otherwise, they would have attacked them after the deadline was passed. It's a chess game at this point.
ehBeth

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 09:25 am
@edgarblythe,
there are apparently still children being kept with the people at the refuge

the locals (?) on the oregonlive livefeedchat are underimpressed by that
0 Replies

BillRM

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 09:53 am
@edgarblythe,
At this point I think the federal government should begin to made some statements loud and clear such as parking a few M1 tanks outside.
engineer

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 10:01 am
@BillRM,
That starts to feel a lot like Waco and that is what the feds want to avoid.
BillRM

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 10:21 am
@engineer,
Perhaps but from the start of this nation the federal government when challenge had use overwhelming force and for the most part if had cut down on the bloodshed.

As Hamilton had stated when needing to use force the government should appear as a Hercules and to allow such arm fools to play such games only set others up to try to do the same.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 10:22 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

At this point I think the federal government should begin to made some statements loud and clear such as parking a few M1 tanks outside.

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/01/bundys_in_custody_one_militant.html

At that site there's a 2-3 minute video interview with the guy who got killed. He said the feds were beginning to act tough, drawing their weapons on them, and ****. The next day he was murdered.
BillRM

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 10:29 am
@layman,
Quote:
The next day he was murdered.

When you take up arms against the government and threaten government agents what then happen to you is not murder.
layman

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 10:33 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

When you take up arms against the government and threaten government agents what then happen to you is not murder.

Tell it to the guy on the streetcar there, eh?
layman

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 10:38 am
@layman,
Quote:
The death of Sammy Yatim occurred early in the morning of July 27, 2013, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Yatim, an 18-year-old Toronto man armed with a knife, was shot at nine times, and was hit by eight of the shots fired by 30-year-old Toronto Police Service officer James Forcillo. It was later determined that eight of the nine shots fired hit Yatim. Surveillance video indicates that Yatim was lying on the ground when the last six shots were fired. He later died from the injuries.

On August 19, 2013, James Forcillo was charged with second-degree murder. In July 2014, an $8-million lawsuit was filed against Toronto Police Service by Sammy Yatim's family.[1] The shooting and subsequent investigation and trial raised questions about police accountability in Toronto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Sammy_Yatim
0 Replies

BillRM

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 10:39 am
@layman,
Once more I am not going to cry about men who had taken up arms against my government being killed in an arm conflict with my government.
layman

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 10:41 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Once more I am not going to cry about men who had taken up arms against my government being killed in an arm conflict with my government.

I aint cryin about these pigs who have been convicted of murder, neither, ya know?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 11:18 am
Federal agents seal off occupied Oregon refuge after leaders arrested, one killed in shootout

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/01/27/leaders-of-armed-group-occupying-oregon-wildlife-refuge-arrested-one-killed-in-shootout/

Federal agents moved early Wednesday morning to seal off a remote wildlife refuge in Oregon, hours after authorities arrested several leaders of the armed activists who had seized the land in a shootout that killed one of the group’s most prominent members.

In the weeks since the group began its occupation, local and federal law enforcement officials had called for the occupation to end peacefully. On Tuesday, after these calls and attempts at negotiations went nowhere, authorities moved to arrest several group members while they were away from the compound. A total of eight people were arrested, at the shootout and other locations.

After the exchange of gunfire on a highway, Ammon Bundy, the group’s leader, and others were arrested on federal charges. Other members of the group remained at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, but before the sun rose over a remote swath of eastern Oregon previously best known for its bird-watching, authorities said they were blocking access to the federal land.

In a statement, the FBI and Oregon State Police said that they had established checkpoints along key routes to the refuge and that anyone who tries to travel inside would be arrested. Officials said people leaving the refuge would have their names confirmed and vehicles searched, but they did not say whether those people would be arrested.

[What we know about the occupied federal building in rural Oregon]

The FBI had refrained from making arrests on the refuge because it did not want to be seen as storming the compound, and officials had publicly said they sought a peaceful resolution. Up to this point, law enforcement has not impeded the travel of occupiers, a law enforcement official said Wednesday.

“But as we call for a peaceful resolution, we’re hoping that people on the refuge will now depart,” said the official, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss the ongoing situation.
DrewDad

Wed 27 Jan, 2016 11:23 am
@edgarblythe,
No more grocery shopping....