Hundreds of Armed Right-Wing Militia Members Take Over Federal Building

layman

Sat 16 Jan, 2016 02:16 pm
@parados,
Parry, you don't know how to read or understand anything in context. You have proven that time and time again.

Quote:
theft laws require the government to prove that a defendant took property "with the intent to permanently deprive a person of the property." To convict a defendant of theft, the government has to prove that a thief's plan was to forever part a victim from his or her property. For example, a culprit who drives off in another's car without permission and returns it a few hours later might be convicted only of "joyriding." However, the same culprit who drives off in another's car without permission and takes it across the country probably demonstrates a specific intent to permanently deprive the owner of the car and would be guilty of the more serious crime of car theft.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/crime-mental-state-defendant-29951.html
layman

Sat 16 Jan, 2016 03:49 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
If you're going to convict a guy of theft, then you have to prove that he intended to PERMANENTLY keep property belonging to another

No court in the country requires proof of that to convict someone of theft. (Your statement would make selling something that was stolen a proof it wasn't theft since by the act of selling it the thief is not keeping it permanently.) Being in possession of an item belonging to another is all that is required to charge someone with theft. One can certainly argue in their defense that they only "borrowed" it but there is not a prosecution requirement to prove intent to keep it permanently.

Parry, like Bill and Bobby, you seem to think that making absolute, unqualified assertions about matters of which you have no knowledge or understanding makes you more credible. The opposite is true, I'm afraid, although I don't expect you to understand that.

Ever look up the meaning of the word "sciolism?" Ya really should, because you're it. Here, I'll help you three out and do it for ya, eh?

Quote:
1.The practice, or an instance, of expressing opinions on something which one knows only superficially or has little real understanding of.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sciolism

Maybe these guys can also help explain it to you:

Quote:
"To be positive: To be mistaken at the top of one's voice. " (Ambrose Bierce)

Quote:
"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." (Mark Twain)
roger

Sat 16 Jan, 2016 05:02 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

The government's property is the people's property. You can't steal from yourself. This is Constitutional reclamation and not merely a right but a duty.

I'm going out this afternoon, for the people, to recover a nuclear submarine. Also, some very expensive bolts.

Damn Bernie, I was considering the same point.
layman

Sat 16 Jan, 2016 05:38 pm
@roger,
Quote:

Me, I would go for a shitload of ICBM's, eh, Rog?
0 Replies

BillRM

Sat 16 Jan, 2016 06:34 pm
@layman,
Love the idea than anyone can force open your car locks in your own driveway and drive your car away and then claim that as he did not in fact steal your car as someday he had the intentions of returning the car.
layman

Sat 16 Jan, 2016 06:43 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Love the idea than anyone can force open your car locks in your own driveway and drive your car away and then claim that as he did not in fact steal your car as someday he had the intentions of returning the car.

Any defendant can "claim" anything, aincha heard, Bill? That does not automatically exonerate them. Maybe you don't like the idea that there can be any legitimate defense to a theft charge. But the law's the law, whether you like it or not.

I could think up a lot of examples where "unauthorized users" could have, and if fact did have, bona fide intentions of returning something they "borrowed" without permission. I have, for example, borrowed a tool from my neighbor's garage when he wasn't home, used it, then put it back where I got it. I was sure he wouldn't mind. Did I "steal" it, ya figure?
0 Replies

layman

Sat 16 Jan, 2016 07:33 pm
This summer, I found my self a whole damn $20 bill in the gutter. I knowed it wasn't mine, but I didn't know whose it was.

I figured the right thing to do was ask and see if anyone around had lost money that day. I went up to a few houses and told kids in the street to go ask around too.

Wasn't that long before I was surrounded by about 20 people, all claimin they had lost money that day. One said he lost a five. Another said he lost a ten. Many said they had lost every kinda bill: 5's, 10's, 20's, 50's, 100's and even pocket change and it all just suddenly blew away with the wind when they dropped it.

I finally figured I still didn't know who it rightfully belonged to, so I went down to Red's Road House and blew it all on whiskey and wimminz. Did I steal it?

Maybe. It wasn't mine. I took it. It was, temporarily, in my possession. I didn't plan on givin it to nobody who just up and claimed it was theirs. Once I blew it, I didn't have any way to pay it back nohow.

I just hope Bill aint the Sheriff in my town, eh?
cicerone imposter

Sat 16 Jan, 2016 07:36 pm
@layman,
Possession is 9/10th of the law.
layman

Sat 16 Jan, 2016 07:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Possession is 9/10th of the law.

Well, OK, then! I'm outta it now. Red has it. If it was stolen, they can go arrest him, eh?
0 Replies

Glennn

Sat 16 Jan, 2016 07:49 pm
@layman,
Yeah, once I was at a McDonald's, and a guy left his table and walked out the door. I saw that he left his wallet on the table he was sitting at. I went over to that table and picked it up. It was pretty fat with bills. And as I held it, I was watching him walk to his car. And I thought to myself, if our roles were reversed, what would I want. There was no doubt about it, I'd want to be taught a lesson. So I walked up to the counter and ordered every damn thing I wanted, and then I went shopping for other stuff I wanted.
blatham

Sat 16 Jan, 2016 07:52 pm
@roger,
Quote:

I'm quite content to share the point with you.
0 Replies

layman

Sat 16 Jan, 2016 08:42 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Yeah, once I was at a McDonald's, and a guy left his table and walked out the door. I saw that he left his wallet on the table he was sitting at. I went over to that table and picked it up. It was pretty fat with bills. And as I held it, I was watching him walk to his car. And I thought to myself, if our roles were reversed, what would I want. There was no doubt about it, I'd want to be taught a lesson. So I walked up to the counter and ordered every damn thing I wanted, and then I went shopping for other stuff I wanted.

Great thinkin, Glenn. Ya done right!
0 Replies

layman

Sun 17 Jan, 2016 04:56 am
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
The trollish Ann Coulter has actually said that white Southern segregationists were liberal Democrats!

They were democrats, eh, Bill? Not what I would call "liberal," but it was the "Dixiecrats" in congress who consistently defeated proposed civil rights bills in the senate during the 40's, 50's, and 60's. The republican party, along with other democrats, would have passed many such bills if not for them and their filibusters. Strom Thurmond, Robert Byrd, Al Gore, Richard Russell, James Eastland, William Fulbright, and them kinda guys, ya know? .
farmerman

Sun 17 Jan, 2016 06:49 am
@layman,
and Lyndon Johnson who , as president said>
"Im gonna fight the Civil Rights Act- right up till the day I sign it"
bobsal u1553115

Sun 17 Jan, 2016 07:48 am
@layman,
Its alway everybody else and never, ever you. Now who does that sound like? Hmmmmmmm ... I know! Hawkeye!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sun 17 Jan, 2016 07:52 am
@cicerone imposter,

9/10s'll get you the horse. 1/10'll still get you hung.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sun 17 Jan, 2016 07:57 am
@layman,
Well if the facts fail you, go into a personal attack. Real classy! Sure you don't a brother by another mother named Hawkeye????????
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sun 17 Jan, 2016 08:06 am
@layman,
That's it! Come up with an example not germane to the topic. Just like someone else we all know and abhor. Who could it possibly be????

Theft isn't time sensitive except as an aggravating circumstance. Once something has been misappropriated the crime began. Everything else determines what the final charge is. You're wiggling around saying its car theft or not and the fact is regardless with the final charge it started with misappropriation of a vehicle that was in fact a theft. Theft of the vehicle was the start of the crime unless there was also a conspiracy.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sun 17 Jan, 2016 08:10 am
@layman,
So if the cops catch you tooling a stolen car down I-5 you can't be charged with theft, only borrowing. Or if the car broke down and you abandon it on the side of I-5, you'll only be charged with littering.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sun 17 Jan, 2016 08:22 am
@layman,
Quote:
You don't have to prove anything to charge it.

Ever hear of "probable cause". I think you need to be arrested for "mopery with intent to promote sophistry". Its a capital offense. Go steal a car. I meant borrow a car with no intention of keeping it.
0 Replies