Hundreds of Armed Right-Wing Militia Members Take Over Federal Building

BillRM

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 03:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Humans with or without guns can result in violent.
cicerone imposter

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 04:08 pm
@BillRM,
Bill, You have myopia of the brains. I'm talking about gun violence in the US. In 2013, it resulted in over 84 thousand injuries and over 11 thousand deaths.
BillRM

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 04:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
An if there was not such things as firearms as there was not for most of human history the suicides and the homicides and the woundings by guns would not had occur by others means?

Half of all gun deaths in the US is the results of suicides and the nation of Japan with a higher suicide rate then ours they turn mainly to edge weapons not guns.

In other word it is the desire to killed either yourself or others that what matter not the tools that is used.
0 Replies

BillRM

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 04:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
My bet given the large number of heavy arms protesters raising the cost of using force for the government that there will be less likelihood to have the situation end in force instead of ending in negotiation then if there was no arms.

Of course if it does break bad there is going to be a bloody mess.
engineer

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 04:59 pm
@BillRM,
In the occupy movement, there were no guns and no one ever thought there would be a chance of bloodshed. Here, there is a reasonable chance of a "bloody mess". I doubt guns reduces the likelihood of violence.
JPB

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 05:11 pm
@maxdancona,
I was just telling my 20-something daughter about this event. She asked, "Why is this news?"
0 Replies

Glennn

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 05:18 pm
I'm not a lawyer, but after these two guys had served their time for the crime of arson, isn't it something akin to double jeopardy for a judge to rule that they didn't serve enough time for their crime, and then send them back to prison?
BillRM

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 05:42 pm
@engineer,
Can not agree with that as the government is far more likely to try to reach an agreement instead of force with special note of an upcoming election.
0 Replies

BillRM

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 05:45 pm
@Glennn,
Doubt jeopardy apply to trying someone more then once for the same crime not deciding that a sentence was not legal.

It still seem highly unfair if legally allow.
Lash

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 05:48 pm
Has anyone even mentioned why these people are bent out of shape? The gov is trying to force these ranchers to sell their life's work- the homesteads they've built and want to leave as inheritance.

The BLM has been ******* with them for years, trying to harass them out. I still don't know all the details, but I think this should be considered before dismissing their side of the story.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/03/us/oregon-wildlife-refuge-protest/

Lash

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 05:52 pm
Other BLM issues.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/is-the-bureau-of-land-management-attempting-a-land-grab-on-the-red-river/
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 05:54 pm
@BillRM,
This stinks to me. The govt wants your land, and suddenly the judge thinks you need to serve additional time.

It doesn't seem legal. But considering who the plaintiff is, how can these guys get justice?
BillRM

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 05:57 pm
@Lash,
The fires was not on their lands however.
FBM

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 05:58 pm
@Lash,
I'm not a big fan of eminent domain, but I am all for the gov't setting aside nature reserves.
Lash

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 06:06 pm
@FBM,
When it's your home?
JPB

@Glennn,
But they didn't serve their time for the crime of arson. They served the time the trial judge said was adequate, but he was over ruled by the circuit court of appeals and they were to go back to fulfill the minimum sentencing guidelines. There's no double jeopardy attached because it's all just a question of the trial judge complying with the statute.
layman

These protestors merely entered an unoccupied building that was closed for the holidays. They didn't force any one out (extortion, assault, etc.). They didn't take hostages (kidnapping, false imprisonment, etc.).

At this point their earth-shaking "crime" is trespass.

But, hide and watch. This will probably turn into another Waco type fiasco before it's over.

As a prelude, I think I'll go watch the movie "The Alamo" again, as a warm-up, ya know?
Lash

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 06:07 pm
@BillRM,
Yeah. Looks like they're using a neighbor's problem to attempt to get grassroots rancher support.
0 Replies

FBM

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 06:09 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

When it's your home?

Of course. The NIMBY thing is a fallacy, after all.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 3 Jan, 2016 06:10 pm
@layman,
I'm partially remembering another rancher who I think lost a wife and / or child in a shoot out with Feds. Randy...

Edit- Randy Weaver. He broke the law, and was a separatist. A different story.