Hundreds of Armed Right-Wing Militia Members Take Over Federal Building

glitterbag

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 10:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't know what bobsail thinks, but I'm bitterly disappointed with my experience with the Courts. I've not been a defendant or a plaintiff, and on the Criminal Court cases, I've not been a defendant but I have been an assault victim. Just looking at delayed DNA results should scare the living bejesus of everyone.
ehBeth

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 10:59 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Glenn., please think anything that holds you snug in your cocoon. Would you indulge me and the rest of the readership by providing a link to court documents, and proof of payment regarding the fire on the peoples land. I might be off base, but I have a hard time believing those two tax cheats have settled their debt to the United States of America.

I think you've conflated the Bundys with the Hammonds. The Bundys are the ones who owe taxes, the Hammonds are the ones who set the fires.

The Hammonds are in jail (prison/whatever it's called in the US), the Bundys are leading the occupation of the wildlife refuge.

ehBeth

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 11:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
.That some of the ranchers have a strong antipathy for a powerful, far-reaching federal government

they should stop borrowing money from the feds then - apparently a talent of Ammon Bundy
layman

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 11:05 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I think you've conflated the Bundys with the Hammonds. The Bundys are the ones who owe taxes, the Hammonds are the ones who set the fires.

Fuckin ranchers--they all look the same to Glitter, eh? Who in the WORLD would EVER refrain from calling a rancher a tax evader, a mooch, and a low-life? The facts speak for themselves here: They are ranchers, see? Probably shiftless and lazy, on top of being inherently criminal, too, know what I'm sayin?
0 Replies

roger

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 11:27 pm
Incredible that this subject has inspired a thirty - page and counting discussion. Is there something I'm missing on the idea of a dozen people illegally occupying an empty building in the middle of nowhere?
glitterbag

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 11:31 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

Glenn., please think anything that holds you snug in your cocoon. Would you indulge me and the rest of the readership by providing a link to court documents, and proof of payment regarding the fire on the peoples land. I might be off base, but I have a hard time believing those two tax cheats have settled their debt to the United States of America.

The Hammonds are in jail (prison/whatever it's called in the US), the Bundys are leading the occupation of the wildlife refuge.

Heres the deal Beth, I actually know the difference, the senior Bundy had an armed standoff with the Feds because he didn't want to pay for feeding his livestock. He chose to use Federal land to eliminate that pesky expense.

Younger Bundy decided to take over a public wild life sanctuary, because he believes he and his heavily armed fellow lunatics should stake their claim and create a nation of (I don't know a term to describe what they are doing) of sovereign citizens, in other words, the real americans. With a small a.

The Hammonds are not supporting the Oregon park take-over, They were convicted of arson on federal land and the arson had nothing to do with Oregon. They are not protesting their upcoming jail sentence. Now the incarceration and its legality is something I've not followed and therefore can't offer any sort of informed opinion.

But truthfully, I've only been a citizen of the US for sixty eight years. I welcome corrections from citizens of other countries on my pitiful knowledge of the country I have served and live in. Thank you.

In the US, there is a difference between jail and prison. We employ both words but not for every correctional institute. I'd be happy to explain the difference if you are interested.

0 Replies

layman

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 11:33 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Incredible that this subject has inspired a thirty - page and counting discussion. Is there something I'm missing on the idea of a dozen people illegally occupying an empty building in the middle of nowhere?

It's gone beyond that now, Rog. Now the central-government-loving commie collectivists have decided it's time to gratuitously slander the greedy private-enterprising ranchers, eh?

Commies hate capitalism, unless it's the government doin it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 11:37 pm
@roger,
slow news cycle?
roger

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 11:44 pm
@ehBeth,
I think not. Saudi Arabia is considering selling off a percentage of ARAMCO. Now, that's news even though they seem reluctant to post financial results. Brooklyn still has that bridge. Again, no financial results have been posted.
layman

Thu 7 Jan, 2016 11:45 pm
@layman,
Quote:
I can't find a source which says who put out the second fire. But there seems to be a consensus that it saved the Hammonds necessary livestock feed, possibly their home, and was successful in limiting the spread of the ongoing fire they were trying to protect themselves against. Their big offense here seems to be that they didn't raise their hand and ask the teacher if it was OK to save themselves first, eh?

But I have since found this, (drawn from the appellate court findings) eh?:

Quote:
In August 2006, the lightning storm kindled several fires near where the Hammonds grew their winter feed. Steven responded by attempting back burns near the boundary of his land. Although a burn ban was in effect, Steven did not seek a waiver. His fires burned about an acre of public land.”

https://popehat.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/HammondGovBrief.pdf

From the circumstances, it would seem that this "backfire" was self-extinguishing, or if not, must have been put out by the Hammonds (since they didn't notify the feds to begin with).

Again, they put out the first fire (from 2001) themselves. $400,000 in "damages" for "putting out" (at most, if at all) fire on one acre seems kinda unreasonable, don't it? But, a lesser amount, and they would have been less likely to be forced to sell land which they were required to give the feds the first option on, eh?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 12:02 am
@roger,
The Chinese stock market is the talk around here - spent about an hour outside with a neighbour around midnight - he's a financial guy - basically stays up all night watching the Chinese market and trying to figure out how to convince his bosses he has a clue about what will happen next.

We id'd constellations and watched a couple of satellites. Weird, but good for sky-watching, weather.
layman

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 12:04 am
Some of my questions about his whole affair include the following:

1. Why did the feds wait 10 years to file charges (5 years in the case of the 2006 fire)?

2. Aint there no statute of limitations to protect from faded memories, lost witnesses and evidence, etc? The trial judge himself questioned the memory and credibility of the (then) 13 year old who was the only witness to the so-called "poaching evidence" motive.

3. Why charge and prosecute this under an act designed to punish terrorism that carried a 5 year MINIMUM sentence?

4. What was the true motive of finally prosecuting these acts so many years later? Was there an ulterior motive behind it?

5. Why did the feds make the make the Hammonds waive their appeal rights when cutting this deal and not waive their own?

6. Why did they go to the expense of appealing the sentence after defending the principle of the law? Was it THAT important that they each get 5 years? If so, why? The 73 year old man, who may well now die in prison, wasn't even implicated in the first fire. Is there a reason why he must be "off the streets" now? Would that reason possibly be to bankrupt his family while he can't tend to the ranch, and buy it cheap?
0 Replies

layman

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 12:22 am
As I recall, Joe McCarthy was asked by a legislator, after tryin to insinuate via innuendo that someone was a "communist traitor," "Sir, have you no decency?"

The same question might be asked of some around here who attempt to demonize capitalists without substantiation, know what I'm sayin?

These self-declared champions of civil rights and tolerance don't seem to have such concerns when it comes to persecuting their perceived ideological enemies, eh? What's up with that?

Why are men who are highly-regarded in their own communities as concerned, charitable, generous, and decent people now "low lifes," I wonder?

Why are the flatly claimed to be tax evaders without the slightest bit of evidence, let alone conviction?

Why are self-reliant individualists called "moochers?"

I don't get it.
0 Replies

roger

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 12:27 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

The Chinese stock market is the talk around here -

I seem to recall someone around here that invested heavily in the stock market in 2008 when everyone else had given up all hope. I bet she made out real well as I think the DOW was somewhere around 7xxx.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 02:19 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Well, Hitchens certainly was knowledgeable so by your calculation...

I don't know about that, but arrogance is not important to me. I can dish it and I can take it.

My point was that Hitchens was wrong too many times to say anything credible about Michael Moore, and that him insulting Moore in the piece quoted by layman, without being able to make ANY substantial point, was just a reflection of how helpless and tone-deaf he ended up. Too much cosying with the neocons can do that to you.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 02:32 am
@glitterbag,
So then we agree that simply because someone has been found guilty and sentenced to jail they are not necessarily deserving of the verdict and sentence. The justice system in this country "works" in the sense that far more results are just than unjust and no system will ever be perfect, but there are far too many miscarriages of justice for us to base an argument solely on the fact that a defendant was found guilty, or to dismiss out of hand reasonable concerns that a defendant was railroaded.

The lopsided power of the government as respects an individual is rarely as clearly demonstrated as in litigation or a criminal proceeding.

It is why I am against the death penalty. I don't have a moral problem with it. If someone is truly guilty of murder, I think they have forfeited the right to live. They have stolen from someone their greatest possession: everything they ever were and everything they will ever be. The harm they cause the victim's loved ones cannot be measured in dollars and cents or years of a person's life. Their own death seems, to me, to be the most just punishment for such a crime.

However, I do not want the State to ever have the power of life and death over its citizens. Too many mistakes are made, too often power is abused. Death is final and even if the mistake is discovered or the corruption is revealed, it will do little by way of rectifying the unjust punishment inflicted on the innocent defendant.

Fortunately neither I nor any of my friends or family have ever been the victims of unjust prosecution, but those I care about have had nightmarish experiences with a government that has been at least mistaken and very likely abusive. The imbalance of power and resources is staggering and David doesn't always triumph over Goliath; the righteous little guy doesn't always win in the end, as he does in the movies.

When this happens in criminal proceedings it is devastating, even if capital punishment is not a possibility. Often the defendant, after bankrupting his family with defense costs is forced (despite knowing he or she is innocent) to plead guilty to a lesser charge rather than risk the chance of spending the rest of his or her youth or life in jail. For the poor who cannot afford one of the few attorneys capable of beating back the beast, it is too often the case that they are crushed by it. It is a huge mistake to assume that if someone gets in trouble with the government that it must somehow be their fault. Most often it probably is, but it is not enough times to make any such assumption unreasonable.

Of course there are honorable and honest prosecutors just as there are well intentioned and reasonable bureaucrats, but the lack of real accountability in addition to the corrupting influence of power and the connection between "winning" (whether in a courtroom a hearing or an audit/review) and career success is so prevalent and pronounced that many are either led astray or allowed to follow base instincts.

Until one actually experiences or witnesses firsthand how ultimately powerless one is before a determined government, the dangers an invasive and largely unaccountable ruling power can be are not truly realized, only imagined.

Most Americans are raised to believe the System works, that justice will prevail and that good will ultimately triumph over evil. They want very much to believe this and most often it is precisely the case, but there is a significant difference between maintaining a reasonable view based on facts and outcomes that are repeated over decades, and blindly placing one's full trust in institutions that regardless of their creeds, are operated and controlled by imperfect humans.

It's not a dynamic that is limited to government. Any large institution where the conditions previously described exist are capable of abuse and terrible outcomes. The sexual abuse scandals in the US Catholic Church are an excellent example. I was involved on the defense side of a number of the suits that were filed against the Church in the 80's and what we discovered through our investigation and through the legal discovery process was literally sickening. Fortunately I was neither a Catholic nor Christian when I was exposed to the facts behind these cases and so I didn't face the crisis of faith that devastated several of my colleagues, but while I had had what I considered a healthy skepticism about the way the Church was run, and their sanctimonious pronouncements about everyone else's morality, I always thought that at its core the Church was a benign institution. Those cases thoroughly shook that belief and while I don't believe the Church was ever (not even then) some sort of utterly corrupt organization with depraved rather than righteous goals, it was made very clear to me that under the right circumstances even people with fundamentally good intent can not only allow evil to happen, but can facilitate it. The government isn't filled with evil people either, but the bigger it gets the greater chance there is that these things will happen and the greater their impact will be. It really is like some great powerful beast. If kept under tight control and held back with strong reins it can provide valuable utility and positive results, but left to run wild, it can and will do great harm . It can't be trusted to look out for us all and it shouldn't be.
0 Replies

Wilso

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 05:19 am
It's barely making the news out here. Americans with guns being fuckwits is expected. It's not news.
Setanta

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 05:32 am
@Wilso,
Amen
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 05:46 am
@ehBeth,
The entire Bundy family has benefited from the American taxpayer and none of them want to pay extremely small payments for the programs they've asked to be a part of.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 8 Jan, 2016 05:50 am
@layman,
Why not its certainly colored your speech?
0 Replies