A deal breaker or not?

JML

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 08:11 pm
My new boyfriend and I have been going out for a few months. He is 47. I'm 35. After making love recently he told me something that I just can't get over. His words were..."you are amazing for being 35." I immediately got upset and questioned the meaning of that phrase. I told him that I was insulted. He apologized and swore that he didn't mean anything bad by that. Am I overreacting? Please help. Any advice or opinion will be valuable. Thanks.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 08:36 pm
@JML,
He could have meant many things. Why don't you ask him?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 08:41 pm
@JML,
Why did you choose to read some kind of insult into it?

Accept the amazing part and move on.

If you can't accept the compliment, think about why you have a problem with it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 08:42 pm
@JML,
Wait.

You think a compliment is a deal-breaker?

Poor guy.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 08:43 pm
@JML,
It is a great compliment. 35 year olds don't know anything about sex. You have to be at least 40 to know anything.
0 Replies

JML

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 09:06 pm
The reason why I got upset is because I thought that my age should not have been mentioned there. So just because I'm 35 it's surprising that I can be good in bed? Like being 35 is too old?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 09:12 pm
@JML,
35 is too old? Ha ha ha.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 09:14 pm
@JML,
Did the comment make you feel that he was perhaps comparing you to someone younger? And you resent being compared?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 09:17 pm
@JML,
He might have found a smoother way to phrase it, but at 47 he's probably been with more experienced women and was happy that you could live up to the standard of a more mature woman.

Again, consider why you thought "amazing" was not a compliment - and work on accepting compliments gracefully.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 09:18 pm
@JML,
Deal breaker - for him.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 09:19 pm
@roger,
That's what I was thinking. If he was a friend of mine and told me a woman had reacted like that, I'd tell him to find someone else.
0 Replies

JML

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 09:23 pm
@Glennn,
Yes. That's exactly it. Even though I'm younger, I felt that the comment was an insult. Put me down. Don't know how to move on.
0 Replies

JML

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 09:34 pm
Made me feel like he is interested in MUCH younger women. But 35 wasn't that bad for him either. Could've just said "you are amazing" and leave it at that.
JML

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 09:36 pm
@Glennn,
Yes. That's exactly it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 09:41 pm
@JML,
I really think you have got that backwards. You are too young to know anything about sex... and he was trying to say that he was impressed.

Personally, at this point, I wouldn't want to be with anyone under 40.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 09:43 pm
We don't know what he meant. I can guess, but so what?

Talk with him if you want to know what he meant.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 09:54 pm
@ossobuco,
I agree with Osso.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 09:42 am
@JML,
Quote:
Am I overreacting?
Yes. Good heavens, if something like this makes you upset, then your relationship will never survive the arguments/disagreements that most couples have at one time or another. He might as well walk away now.

Maybe he needs to simply stop trying to complement you. Would that be ok? Maybe you are just too sensitive to your age and the age difference. I think you need to let him know that you overreacted and tell him you are a bit sensitive about your age. Then, if he is smart and loves you, he will avoid age related complements. lol
JML

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 07:22 pm
@CoastalRat,
Yes that's exactly it. I'm sensitive about my age knowing guys prefer younger women. No one on this forum seems to understand my concern. Is it really not a big deal when a man tells you "you look amazing for being 35". Or "you're amazing for 35". And all that was after love making.
JML

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 07:34 pm
No one seems to understand my concern. Is it really not a big deal when a man tells you "you look amazing for being 35". Or "you're amazing for 35". And all that was said after love making. Makes me feel insecure, as if 35 is already too old, and it surprised him that I am actually not that bad for 35. Important fact here... I know he prefers much younger women in general. So the way the comment came out felt like an insult. I felt like he put me down. I know for a fact he didn't mean to hurt me. I'm still struggling and everything changed after that night. I can't feel as confident with him now as I was prior to that comment. Any advice will help. Thank you all so much.