A deal breaker or not?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 07:38 pm
@snood,
I guess it could be, but it doesn't seem like it was. It would be tough to apologize away the comments you've suggested, but not so much for the one actually made.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 07:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Another disadvantage is that we can't see the body language.

Bingo, and we can't hear the tone. Good catch.
Glennn

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 08:00 pm
@glitterbag,
Nevertheless, there seems to be both a comparison and a judgement in his comment. I may be sensitive, but in my mind, he might as well have said, "In my book, younger women are better in bed, but you sure surprised me."
glitterbag

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 08:30 pm
@Glennn,
Yeah that's what I said. I really don't think he would be happy if she told him he was amazing for a 47 year old. If you flip the compliment, it doesn't sound so warm and fuzzy. Many folks seem to think she should have stopped listening after "you're amazing" , but I think "for a 35 year old" negates the amazing part.
Glennn

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 08:32 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
I really don't think he would be happy if she told him he was amazing for a 47 year old.

Exactly!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 08:44 pm
@glitterbag,
There's a pretty big difference there. Men's sexual peak is much much earlier than women's. Like 20 years earlier. Some men can definitely learn things that can make up for that difference later in life. I think women are very lucky with that one particular aspect of life - things get better sexually over the decades, just because ... we don't have to work at it the same way.

Which is why I said younger men/older women is the best sexual combo.

For a younger woman to be thought of as having the sexuality/sexual skills of an older woman is a compliment.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 08:44 pm
@glitterbag,
There's a pretty big difference there. Men's sexual peak is much much earlier than women's. Like 20 years earlier. Some men can definitely learn things that can make up for that difference later in life. I think women are very lucky with that one particular aspect of life - things get better sexually over the decades, just because ... we don't have to work at it the same way.

Which is why I said younger men/older women is the best sexual combo.

For a younger woman to be thought of as having the sexuality/sexual skills of an older woman is a compliment.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 08:55 pm
I think some are overthinking this. It's clearly just not 100% a compliment when it's structured like "You're very (something), for a (something)".
Call it left handed or backhanded or whatever, but it's clearly not just complimentary. Whether it is a deal breaker or how hard one wants to take the subtle ego puncture is strictly an individual choice. But after chewing on this for a moment, I don't think there should be any ambivalence that there is something intrinsic in those kinds of "compliments" that is offensive.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 09:08 pm
@snood,
I think you nailed it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 09:11 pm
@snood,
Sounds good to me!
0 Replies

-Relationup

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2015 01:03 pm
@JML,
I know it is easy to say, but it you can let the comment go (at least this time) and give the relationship some more time, it will give you a chance to see if there are other issues like this that come up. If you really enjoy being with him, it is likely worth the effort. In any relationship things are often said that can be taken out of context or seem hurtful, but as we get to know people deep down, we often are better to keep them in perspective.
0 Replies