Who do you think will be the next president of the United States?

fbaezer

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 02:34 pm
I think Sanders should keep his campaign going, and his followers "feeling the Bern" and voting in the Democratic primaries.
Then, at the Convention, he should gracefully support Clinton.
roger

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 03:21 pm
@fbaezer,
I think that's likely the least undesirable outcome. Notice my lack of enthusiasm for any plausible outcome.
fbaezer

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 03:52 pm
@roger,
I've thought before that you, Roger, are one of the most unlikely Americans to be enthusiastic about this election.
roger

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 04:29 pm
@fbaezer,
I take that as a compliment. Thank you.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 05:39 pm
@snood,
Sanders only has one vote.
snood

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 07:17 pm
@Lash,
What he does - whatever he does - will influence his adoring hordes.
Lash

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 09:51 pm
@snood,
My point was - I think it will influence a very surprisingly small percentage. I think most Bernie supporters have already made that decision-and nothing Bernie says will change that.

I could be wrong. We'll definitely see.
oralloy

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 09:56 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
That would be disastrous, as it would ensure Trump's election. I am ready to bet good money (or good wine) that Sanders will never do such a thing.

The 2013 gun control debacle ensures Mr. Trump's election regardless.

The Democrats might as well pack it in for the next 20 years.
Blickers

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 10:15 pm
@Lash,
They'll come over to Hillary once they see the guy the Republicans put up.
BillRM

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 10:39 pm
@oralloy,
Sorry but most people are not single issue voters and will not cut their and their nation throat over minor gun issues.
revelette2

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 08:21 am
@Lash,
Quote:
I think it will influence a very surprisingly small percentage. I think most Bernie supporters have already made that decision-and nothing Bernie says will change that.

So, in the end, it doesn't matter what he say or what he believes in, Bernie supporters are just using their vote as a protest vote one way or another. If they really believed in his message, they would vote for the one who has the best chance of putting most (or some) of his would be policies into effect; which would be Hillary.
maporsche

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 10:55 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

My point was - I think it will influence a very surprisingly small percentage. I think most Bernie supporters have already made that decision-and nothing Bernie says will change that.

I could be wrong. We'll definitely see.

I think only a surprisingly (to you) small percentage of people are #bernieorbust type people.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 10:57 am
@revelette2,
I find it funny that, to his supporters, Bernie is the most honest man in politics. He's the most right, the most often. He is a genius among men and his policies and positions are pure as the fallen snow......except when he says that Clinton is better than the republicans and people should support her; that's where he's simply wrong (for the first time in his political life, apparently).
ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 10:59 am
@maporsche,
Striking, isn't it.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 11:01 am
@maporsche,
Lumping all Bernie supporters into the same caricature is not useful.
maporsche

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 11:02 am
@Olivier5,
I support Bernie; it's obvious to anyone not looking to argue that I'm not referring to literally "all" Bernie supporters, but specifically the #bernieorbust types.
snood

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 11:25 am
@maporsche,
Olivier seems to like to pick and or perpetuate meaningless scraps.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 11:33 am
@maporsche,
No, it wasn't obvious. I had almost typed the same thing that Olivier did, but decided to be quiet.

Not to zero in on Ma Porsche, as many arguers on many sides of political issues routinely forget to use the word some when the talk about a wide group.

I guess some is a weakening word, but it is closer to true than not using it.

The GOP, Republicans, Bernie supporters, Hillary supporters, liberals - they all are quite often wiped with a broad brush.
maporsche

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 12:25 pm
@ossobuco,
Logically speaking it's SO fallacious to assume that anyone can speak for ALL of a certain group that I try to assume that the poster means 'some' or 'most' (like they do 99.5% of the time) and focus on the real content of their post, rather than quibble over a minor detail, inconsequential to the point being made or argued.

You said it; you know that basically every time someone uses a grouping (GOP, Trump supporters, Yankee fans) they barely ever mean "all" of them, so it's sort of silly to even have to point it out.

Human beings usually speak in generalities. It's easier, faster, and keeps our word count under 1000 words for each post. Plus the board doesn't have the best footnoting capabilities and I don't think we've agreed on an approved style guide for forum posts. Maybe APA?
oralloy

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 12:55 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Sorry but most people are not single issue voters and will not cut their and their nation throat over minor gun issues.

Electing Mr. Trump is hardly cutting our throat. And six years of a do-nothing presidency means that control over the White House will switch to the other party.