Who do you think will be the next president of the United States?

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 08:23 pm
@Lash,
Thank you, Lash. We've been enjoying great weather. My wife and I are going to Monterey tomorrow for the day to visit Steinbeck's Cannery Row, and to eat some sea food. They also have unique shops there; great for tourists. Might even come back with a sweatshirt. Hope you are doing well.
Lash

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 08:24 pm
@Blickers,
The numbers show her getting weaker and weaker...
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 08:25 pm
@Lash,
Do you know why? It's a complete mystery to me.
Lash

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 08:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Ahh, Monterey! I enjoyed the little Aquarium near the Steinbeck location. Exquisite jewelry shops along there, as well.

Wish I could remember the name of the scrumptious seafood restaurant in Monterey. It wasn't upscale for sure - quite the opposite- but they had the best crab cake sandwich of my life.

Anyway, you two have a lovely day.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 08:55 pm
@Lash,
Monterey Bay Aquarium. My brother-in-law is a docent there, so if we want to go, he can get us in for free. But, I think we're going to skip it this time to just do a leisurely walk to meander in and out of shops, and enjoy some seafood.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 09:02 pm
@Lash,
Did you bother to read that Lash?

Sanders needs 55% of Wisconsin. The latest poll shows him with only 44%. A big 10 points he has to make up next Tuesday.

Sanders needs 55% of NY. The last poll shows Hillary with 71%. There is not going to be a 30 point difference on voting day compared to the polls.
Lash

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 09:09 pm
http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2016/03/clinton-campaign-says-no-more-debates-until-bernie-starts-be-nicer

She can't debate with Bernie Sanders, but she can handle Donald Trump's tone? Iran? LOL!! Not presidential material, obviously. She's afraid of Bernie.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 09:28 pm
NBC News Poll: Bernie Sanders Closing Gap On Clinton
Source: NBC News/KING

Fresh off three victories on Western state caucuses over the weekend, an NBC News National Poll of Democratic voters shows Bernie Sanders closer than ever to Hillary Clinton.

The poll shows Clinton at 49% support nationally while Sanders has risen to 43%. The 6% gap between the two candidates is half of what the difference was just a week ago, when Clinton had a 53%-41% lead nationally, according to the poll.

The NBC News/Survey Monkey poll surveyed over 6,500 adults nationally from March 21 to 27.

While the polls are tightening, Clinton maintains a huge lead in the delegate contest. Clinton has more than 1700 delegates, including committed "super delegates" while Sanders is at just over 1,000. 2,383 delegates are needed to claim the Democratic nomination.

Read more: http://www.king5.com/news/politics/national/nbc-news-poll-bernie-sanders-closing-gap-on-clinton/108356836
Blickers

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 09:52 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote article:
Quote:
Clinton has more than 1700 delegates, including committed "super delegates" while Sanders is at just over 1,000. 2,383 delegates are needed to claim the Democratic nomination.

So Hillary needs only about 600 delegates, Sanders needs about 1200. Looks like time is running out for Sanders. And caucus states, where Bernie does well, are just about over.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 10:12 pm
I still want someone to explain to me how/why members of the democratic party are going to suddenly switch their alliance from one of the most prominent members of the democratic party (and her very popular husband), the FIRST woman nominee of the party (a huge milestone for women), the candidate with the most minority support, and someone who will have VERY likely won the highest number of votes and the majority of delegates.

Please tell me what superdelegate in their right mind would go against their party members, piss off women who are the most reliable voters in the democratic party, piss off minorities, and go against the will of the voters nationwide.

And they'd do this for a white guy in his 70's who has never been a member of the democratic party??

engineer

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 06:31 am
@maporsche,
I can see someone who is more progressive and endorsed Clinton with the belief that Sanders can't win in the general looking at the support Sanders has and reassessing their assumptions about electability. I don't think that will happen because Clinton has a strong reputation for coming across very well in one on one interactions, but I could see a couple of super delegates reconsidering.
revelette2

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 06:45 am
@parados,
After reading the link edgar posted on the Bernie thread, I worried about minorities and older people in Wisconsin getting their voters ID's so they can vote.

I know Bernie fans might look at that as a good thing, but is not good to disenfranchise voters, besides the same voters will have the same problem in the general election.

I hope someone is there helping with that situation.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 06:47 am
@engineer,
And that is happening more and more everyday.
maporsche

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 07:28 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Any examples in real life?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 10:19 am
@maporsche,
Read the news papers, there's been report of quite a few super-delegates crossing over.

maporsche

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 10:29 am
@bobsal u1553115,
So, no...no examples then.

I even googled it to see if I could find any on my own. Here's a link. Maybe you could point some out for me.
https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=any%20examples%20of%20super%20delegates%20switching%20sides&oq=any%20examples%20of%20super%20delegates%20switching%20sides&aqs=chrome..69i57.6431j0j7
ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 10:29 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Do you have any links to that? I've been searching and haven't found anything suggesting "quite a few" superdelegates crossing over. I found one person so far who said they might.

It's an interesting , unusual and perhaps irrelevant factor in the nomination process.

politifact link

Quote:
Our ruling

Wasserman Schultz says superdelegates "have never been a determining factor in who our nominee is since they've been in place since 1984."

The first election where Democrats used superdelegates was in 1984, where they helped Mondale secure the nomination on the first ballot at the convention. It’s not clear that they were the "determining" factor. Some say Mondale would have won without them.

Since that time, a Democrat has won the nomination early enough where the superdelegates haven’t mattered.

We rate this claim Mostly True.

0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2016 10:32 am
@maporsche,
Probably important to point out the super-delegate lead.

Clinton - 469
Sanders - 29

Which of those 29 were previously pledged-Clinton supporters??

And, when you only have 29 super-delegates, how many constitutes "quite a few"? I mean, he only has a few to begin with.
0 Replies

High Strangeness

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2016 07:47 am
A TV interviewer said to Trump "You're basically just an ordinary citizen with no political experience, so with respect what makes you think you could run America?"
Trump replied- "Correction- I'm an ordinary citizen with 10 billion dollars because I know how to run things"..Smile
revelette2

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2016 08:01 am
@High Strangeness,
He knows how to run businesses' into the ground and walk away with a profit leaving everyone else to pick up the pieces.
0 Replies