Who do you think will be the next president of the United States?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2016 07:34 pm
@Blickers,
One of rules of participation on a2k is selling is prohibited. I would extend that to seeking donation of any kind.
BillRM

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2016 07:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I would extend that to seeking donation of any kind.

So no one could promote donations to the red cross or the salvation army or the girls and boys scouts and so on?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2016 08:00 pm
@BillRM,
You'll have to ask the moderators.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2016 08:03 pm
@BillRM,
I hope so. I don't expect to be hit up for money on a message board. By anybody. Except maybe the message board if they need funds to operate.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 09:25 am
At this point the polls are showing the next President will mostly likely be Hillary.

She is pretty much a lock for the Dem nomination. She only needs to win 33% of the delegates remaining and is polling over 71% in NY and over 50 in Arizona.

On the GOP side, Trump is the likely nominee and Hillary is leading him by 13 points in the latest national poll.
snood

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 10:26 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

At this point the polls are showing the next President will mostly likely be Hillary.

She is pretty much a lock for the Dem nomination. She only needs to win 33% of the delegates remaining and is polling over 71% in NY and over 50 in Arizona.

On the GOP side, Trump is the likely nominee and Hillary is leading him by 13 points in the latest national poll.

I went a long time not worried that Bernie would do anything but throw his enthusiastic support behind Hillary when and if she won the nomination. But he's been making worrisome noises lately that make me think he's going to pursue winning even when it's clearly mathematically impossible; even to the detriment of the Democratic party.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 10:40 am
@snood,
Quote:
I went a long time not worried that Bernie would do anything but throw his enthusiastic support behind Hillary when and if she won the nomination. But he's been making worrisome noises lately that make me think he's going to pursue winning even when it's clearly mathematically impossible; even to the detriment of the Democratic party.

That would be disastrous, as it would ensure Trump's election. I am ready to bet good money (or good wine) that Sanders will never do such a thing.
snood

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 10:54 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:

That would be disastrous, as it would ensure Trump's election. I am ready to bet good money (or good wine) that Sanders will never do such a thing.

I sincerely hope you're right.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 11:03 am
@snood,
This guy may not be a saint alright, but he's a straight shooter.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 11:15 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
But he's been making worrisome noises lately that make me think he's going to pursue winning even when it's clearly mathematically impossible; even to the detriment of the Democratic party.

he's never been a member of the party so there's nothing for him to lose by doing that

Olivier5

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 11:17 am
@ehBeth,
Except his honor.
snood

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 11:40 am
Democrats to Sanders: Time to wind it down
Protracted combat with Hillary Clinton threatens to do real damage in a general election against Donald Trump, senators warn

They don’t say outright he should quit; doing so would be counterproductive, they say.
But nearly a dozen Democratic lawmakers suggested in interviews that Sanders should focus more on stopping Donald Trump and less on why he believes Clinton’s stands on trade, financial regulation and foreign policy would make her a flawed president.
“What’s important is not whether or not he gets out, but how he campaigns,” said Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.). “If the contrast is now about what separates us from Donald Trump, then I think it’s fine. I just hope that we can begin to focus on unifying because obviously a lot of us are perplexed that we could be facing a country led by someone who seems to be a buffoon.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/bernie-dems-winddown-220966
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 11:43 am
@Olivier5,
Mr Sanders supporters will likely not agree with you on that - and he owes them more than he owes the party.

__

The question (IMNSHO) is whether he values the country more than his new supporters.
snood

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 11:51 am
@ehBeth,
Contrary to popular opinion, I think Bernie likes praise, adulation and attention as much as the next politician. I think it's a mistake to rule those very human wants out - we should list them right beside love of his followers and love of his country as motives.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 12:14 pm
@ehBeth,
I expect Sander's supporters to support his choice, not vice versa. He is on record that he will support the dem nominee, and I trust he will. One can of course think otherwise but it's pure speculation at this stage. I mean, what's the evidence?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 12:23 pm
@Olivier5,
in nominating conventions around the world, failed nominees recommend where their supporters should move

sometimes they (supporters) follow the recommendation. sometimes they don't.

the Canadian anecdotal experience is on the don't follow the lead side. We have a walking the votes tradition here. It's entertaining to see how often the next round of votes doesn't reflect what the walk seemed to suggest it would be. i.e. the failed candidate walks over 60 supporters, but only 10 votes move to the candidate that got the walk.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 12:40 pm
@ehBeth,
That's a different argument, better than Snood's, which is that Bernie could run as an independent if he loses the nomination. (this risk seems close to zero)

But your idea (correct me if I'm wrong) is that many of his SUPPORTERS may not vote for Hillary, especially if he hardens his position towards her, going forward. I see some merit to this proposition. For him to keep on fighting until the end in a more and more bitter way could be damaging. But if he keeps it civil and if he attacks Trump, he can help her by staying in the race.

My guess is that he MUST attack Trump if he wants to stay relevant. Didn't he do so already?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 12:48 pm
@Olivier5,
Yup. that's about it.

__

Some Democrats have suggested that both Clinton and Sanders should focus on the country and Trump - not on each other. Not sure how that will work out but I agree with them in principle.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 01:09 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

The Las Vegas betting odds have always reflected this, and by a wide margin.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2016 01:22 pm
I'm still torn re voting for Sanders in the primary (I too see him as somewhat unlikely to get things actually done, but I'm not positive about that, or whether to add my primary vote to the expanding Hillary votes. It's close to a silly question in that our primary here in NM is June 7th, just like California's.

Adding to the quandary, is the matter of Bernie's behavior from now on, given that he stays in, which I hope he does. I have hope and some expectation that he will tone down the anti HC stuff in favor of anti-GOP needs.

As an aside, I've long (very long) wondered why they, whoever 'they' is, don't bounce around the choices re timing for which primaries/caucuses get to happen first. and last, and even middle. Weird privilege making as it is now, to me.
0 Replies