So how are YOU today?

msolga

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 02:28 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I am laughing a bit. I had another long phone call with the hamburgers tonight. A lot of care has been brought into the house for mrs. hamburger. As she is able, she prefers to have hamburger help her get up and out of the hospital bed in the morning - before the nurses/docs etc arrive.

Tonight she told me, between gales of laughter, that she'd been a bit disoriented this morning. When hamburger said "1 - 2 - 3" in preparation for helping her out of the bed, she thought he was trying to teach her to dance. When she realized what was really happening, she said she laughed and laughed. That's my mom Very Happy

That put a smile on my face, too, ehBeth. Smile
What an amazing woman is Mrs H!

Good to see a smile on your face, too! Very Happy
msolga

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 02:37 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
how are things in the land of sneezing and coughing?

<honk>

Let's just say, thank god it's Friday night! (Only just made it to the weekend by the skin of my teeth. "Why are you so cranky today, Miss?" Neutral )

Wouldn't it be sensible if we could all just stay in bed till we're 100% better, just let nature heal the ol' bod & all that?

And thanks so much for your kind thoughts & concern, Endy & Letty. Much appreciated.
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 02:47 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
I am laughing a bit. I had another long phone call with the hamburgers tonight. A lot of care has been brought into the house for mrs. hamburger. As she is able, she prefers to have hamburger help her get up and out of the hospital bed in the morning - before the nurses/docs etc arrive.

Tonight she told me, between gales of laughter, that she'd been a bit disoriented this morning. When hamburger said "1 - 2 - 3" in preparation for helping her out of the bed, she thought he was trying to teach her to dance. When she realized what was really happening, she said she laughed and laughed. That's my mom Very Happy

That put a smile on my face, too, ehBeth. Smile
What an amazing woman is Mrs H!

Good to see a smile on your face, too! Very Happy

What she said.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 02:48 am
@msolga,
My damn tummy is still yucky, and I am exhausted.

But...I am home...and it is FRIDAY!!!!!!

Sorry to hear the puddy tat is still all blocked ub wid a code.
msolga

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 02:55 am
@carriegirl1,
Quote:
omgoodness..i just noticed that this threap has been going on for almost 5 years, thats amazing, and insanity!

Not quite that long, carriegirl...

This thread was started on Sunday, 1st of August 2004 ... & chugged along till Saturday 1st of September 2007 ...

Then it had had a long, long sleep till last weekend (Saturday 9th may 2009)

So for almost 2 years no one here told anyone how they were going each day, at all! Wink

Anyway, how are you today? Smile

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 03:02 am
@dlowan,
It's STILL yucky, Deb? It's been about a week now, hasn't it?

Aw, poor, poor bunny! (You have been to see the Dr, haven't you?)

Yep, hooray, TGIF!
We both just made it!
msolga

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 03:05 am
@dlowan,
... & um ... you haven't go any more major furniture-moving-around-the-flat activities planned for the weekend, have you, Deb?
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 15 May, 2009 04:48 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

That's my mom Very Happy

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 08:52 pm
@ehBeth,
Good on her. Laughter is like mana from God.
dlowan

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 09:33 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

It's STILL yucky, Deb? It's been about a week now, hasn't it?

Aw, poor, poor bunny! (You have been to see the Dr, haven't you?)

Yep, hooray, TGIF!
We both just made it!

Doctor? I don't really "DO" doctors.

No moving furniture...been cleaning and such though.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 May, 2009 09:48 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Good on her. Laughter is like mana from God.

You know, I think your "mana" is a typo for "manna"....(1. In the Bible, the food miraculously provided for the Israelites in the wilderness during their flight from Egypt. 2. Spiritual nourishment of divine origin.).....but if so it's a dmaned interesting one:

(unless you're Buddhist...this is what it means for Buddhists:

Mana (Sanskrit) [from the verbal root man to think]

Opinion, conception, idea; also self-conceit, arrogance, pride (especially in the compound aham-mana). In Buddhism, one of the six evil feelings or one of the ten fetters to be discarded.)

Mana:

Among Polynesian and Melanesian peoples, a supernatural force or power that may be ascribed to persons, spirits, or inanimate objects. Mana may be either good or evil, beneficial or dangerous, but it is not impersonal; it is never spoken of except in connection with powerful beings or things. The term was first used in the 19th century in the West in connection with religion, but mana is now regarded as a symbolic way of expressing the special qualities attributed to persons of status in a hierarchical society, of providing sanction for their actions, and of explaining their failures. See also animism.

or:

A term indicating vital or magical force used widely throughout Polynesia. From his work in the South Pacific, R. H. Codrington observed: "The word is common, I believe, to the whole Pacific…. It is a power or influence, not physical, and in a way supernatural, but it shows itself in physical force, or in any kind of power or excellence which a man possesses. This Mana is not fixed in anything, and can be conveyed in almost anything; but spirits, whether disembodied souls or supernatural beings, have it and can impart it…. All Melanesian religion consists in getting this Mana for oneself, or getting it used for one's benefit."

The techniques of arousing and acquiring mana were extensively explored by Max Freedom Long (1890-1971) in his study of the kahunamagic in Hawaii and described in his books, notably The Secret Science Behind Miracles (1948). Long established the Huna Research Organization to conduct research and spread knowledge of mana and its basis in kahuna magic.

The concept of mana has been expressed in many cultures under different names. Among the Iroquois and Huron Indians, it is known as orenda. In his book Primitive Man (vol. 1 of A History of Experimental Spiritualism, 2 vols., 1931), Caesar de Vesme wrote: "We are in a fair way to recognize that we find (approximately) Mana in the Brahman and Akasha of the Hindus, the Living Fire of Zoroaster, the Generative Fire of Heraclitus, the Ruach of the Jews, the Telesma of Hermest Trismegistus, the Ignis subtilissimus of Hippocrates, the Pneuma of Gallien, the Soul of the World of Plato and Giordano Bruno, the Mens agitat molem which Vergil drew from the Pythagorean philosophy, the Astral light of the Kabbalists, the Azoth of the alchemists, the Magnale of Paracelsus, the Alcahest of Van Helmont, the pantheistic Substance of Apinoza, the Subtle Matter of Descartes, the Animal magnetism of Mesmer, the Will of Schopenhauer, the Od of Reichenbach and Du Prel, the Unconscious of Hartmann, the Entelechy of Driesch, the Plastic Mediator of Éliphas Lévi, the Psychode and Ectenic Force of Thury, the Force X and the Cryptesthesia of Richet, the Metether of F. W. H. Myers, the Spiritus of Robert Fludd, the Spiritus subtilissimus of Newton, the Spiritus Vitae of St. Thomas Aquinas, and many more Spiritus besides, if it were permissible to touch upon the different theologies."

From wikipedia:

Mana is the concept of an impersonal force or quality that resides in people, animals, and inanimate objects. The concept is common to many Oceanic languages, including Melanesian, Polynesian, and Micronesian.

In anthropological discourse, mana as a generalized concept has attained a significant amount of interest, often understood as a precursor to formal religion. It has commonly been interpreted as "the stuff of which magic is formed", as well as the substance of which souls are made.

Modern fantasy fiction and computer and role-playing games have adopted mana as a term for magic points"an expendable resource out of which magic users form their magical spells.

Mana should not be confused with the Biblical manna (also spelled mana or mannah), which, according to the Bible (Exodus, chapter 16), provided sustenance for the Israelites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mana

You said a mouthful!~!!!

And I wish Mrs H and the H's the very best of mana and lots more laughter.
the prince

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 04:35 am
Sleepy <YAWN>
Izzie

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 04:49 am
@the prince,
Sleepy! <props eyes open with matchsticks>
ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 07:15 am
@Izzie,
awake and watching Egyptian dancers on youtube
feeling relaxed
dog-snuggling time helps with that
they seem to know it's a long weekend and that there doesn't have to be any leaping about today
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 09:27 am
@dlowan,
Interesting!

Love the Mrs. H story.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 04:51 am
Monday evening, 8:50 pm. Not long out of bed, I'm afraid. Yep, still struggling with the after effects of this cold. Taking lots off anti-cold drugs to get through the working day. (A bit of a worry). Anyway, this is pretty boring, isn't it? Looking forward to the return of rude health again. Having a bit more energy would be wonderful! (Oh & I think I left my cell phone at work .. or it could be lost (bugger!) ... but I won't know which till I check out all possibilities at work tomorrow. This is what happens when you have one of those super-vague days! Rolling Eyes )
dlowan

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 06:44 am
@msolga,
Oh dear!

Would courteous health suffice???? Shocked

I do hope the mobile is at work...or at least insured!
msolga

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 05:40 am
@dlowan,
No, no! I want the RUDE variety, Deb! Much more interesting! Razz

... & I found my mobile phone! Pretty much where I guessed/hoped it would be. (But ya never know!)

How's that tummy bug? Gone at last, I hope!
dlowan

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 06:21 am
@msolga,
Yay!!! You found the mobile!!

My tummy is slowly improving, but did NOT asppreciate the moussaka I had while out for dinner tonight.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 07:32 am
Yay mobile!

Now get better, you antipodeans.