Regarding the Attacks in Paris:

layman

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 04:44 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
The whole situation is far more complicated than you can imagine.

Aint that complicated. One word:

ICBM's.

Nukleea type.

Lots of em.

In lots of places.

We got plenty just gatherin dust, I hear-tell.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 04:49 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
It seems to me that there is a relatively simple solution to this problem if neither side insists on complete victory:

First of all it is foolish to assert that we can effectively vet 10,000 Syrian refugees when numerous security officials and experts (including the director of the FBI) say it isn't so. All 10,000 of them can be interviewed for 24 hours straight, but without an existing database of detailed information on these people, an expert liar with only the most basic of ID documents will make it through the process. Such a database doesn't exist.

Secondly, over 99% of the refugees can be law abiding, decent people but if the remainder are terrorists we have a serious problem. Gun control advocates (many of who are advocating taking in more than 10,000 refugees) like to argue that if one person's life is saved by greater restrictions on guns, then they are worth it. I would think, therefore, that they would be very open to the argument that if only one person dies because of allowing these refugees into our country, then it won't be worth it.

However there is a solution that will enable us to provide significant support and assistance to the people who have suffered terribly at the hands of the twin monsters Assad and ISIS, and with a very low risk of importing terrorists who will visit suffering on our citizens.

Unfortunately the conflicts in Syria have, undoubtedly, resulted in the deaths of many male heads of families. We can be sure the number exceeds 10,000. The solution to the problem is to offer asylum only to widows and their children. Certainly there are least 10,000 Syrians who would qualify under this condition and if implemented I would even argue that we could increase the number of refugees we accept by as much as 10 fold that number.

Clearly, widows and their children are the most vulnerable of the Syrian refugees and the ones most in need of our help. Yes, young (or old) single males are at risk in Syria but they are also the most likely Syrians to be terrorists attempting to enter our country. We don't owe the refugees a process that is blind to age or gender. We don't owe them anything.

I believe we should be helping these people who have suffered so much. If the West, and most importantly the US, had intervened early on, there might not now be a refugee crisis, but our need to help these people has nothing to do with real or imagined culpability for their predicament. We need to help them because it is the right thing to do. However it is not the right thing to do if it can't be done without minimizing the risks to Americans.

Arguing that there is no risk or that is too small to even consider is nonsense and no one making it will be happy to have the blood of innocents on their hands if they are proven wrong. In fact, I can imagine the back pedaling now..."Well of course there was a risk if we weren't going to vet them properly," or "There was no risk at the time but our continued aggression in the region drove some of these people into the arms of the terrorists." It doesn't matter though. We can meet our humanitarian obligation without assuming an appreciable risk.

Insisting that young single men be part of the accepted refugee population will be seen as precisely what it is: An insistence on getting one's way, regardless of consequences.

Any arguments for why this proposed solution cannot or will not work or why it should be adopted are welcome.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 04:54 pm
@layman,
Quote:
ICBM's.

Nukleea type.

Lots of em.

We are not going to do that but clearly we have now decided that the populations being forced to live under Daesh (and they are, they are considered traitors for leaving and often killed, and the families left behind punished) are going to have their increasing misery considered to be unavoidable collateral damage. Which will breed more Daesh. As the money and supply lines are cut it will be the people who live in Daech held territory who will suffer much more than Daesh does. Any thought that charity operations will be able to soften the blow defy reality.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 05:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Secondly, over 99% of the refugees can be law abiding, decent people but if the remainder are terrorists we have a serious problem. Gun control advocates (many of who are advocating taking in more than 10,000 refugees) like to argue that if one person's life is saved by greater restrictions on guns, then they are worth it.

Your logic is fine, but once anyone starts by saying "if just one person's life. . . ." I think their argument fails, and that's the basis of your own argument.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 07:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Gotta say I agree with the biggest part of that. Victory isn't the goal. Stopping the murder is. Nice post.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 08:03 pm
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r589/duadmin/CT-A_GcWEAAZnao_zpsliux2zxm.jpg
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 08:15 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r589/duadmin/CT-A_GcWEAAZnao_zpsliux2zxm.jpg

Not apples to apples because back then we believed generally that the government would do a reasonably good job of getting the job done. And for cause we believed it, these are after all the same people who set up Japanese internment camps. We have none of that today.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 11:26 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) warns attacks like those in Paris “could happen here” and the United States needs to escalate the fight against IS. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)

Breaking with President Obama, the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee called Wednesday for creating a “safe zone” inside Syria as part of an escalated campaign to thwart potential Islamic State attacks on the United States.

“We see ISIS branching out in places around the world, and it is a growing menace,” Rep. Adam Schiff of California told Yahoo News in an interview broadcast on Sirius XM, using another name for the terrorist army.

“Until we successfully evaporate that sanctuary they have in Syria and Iraq, they will have the time and the space and the resources to plot against us,” Schiff said. “And even the best intelligence agencies — and we have the best — aren’t going to be able to stop every plot.”

“We have to put an end to that sanctuary if we’re going to dramatically reduce the risk to our country,” the congressman said.

It just keeps getting worse for Obama. Very often the incompetent PRICK finds out that he has no friends. His last year is not going to be a fun one.
layman

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 11:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
“Until we successfully evaporate that sanctuary they have in Syria and Iraq, they will have the time and the space and the resources to plot against us,” Schiff said. “And even the best intelligence agencies — and we have the best — aren’t going to be able to stop every plot.”

That's just common sense, whoever said it. Whether we do it, or someone else does, there aint gunna be no relent until it's done.

Quote:
I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace. Nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war. (Albert Einstein)
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 11:41 pm
@layman,
Common sense and Washington have rarely been on speaking terms of late.....
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 05:38 am
@layman,
layman, I don't think I can abide anymore of your affectation to portray yourself in patois. You might see your "eh", "aint gunna be"s", "sho nuff"s" as folksy, but what you are actually doing is mocking a dialect. Mark Twain could use that in his books because he was painting a picture of a reality that existed during his lifetime, call it creative license.

By all means continue with your disrespectful way of mocking people. I'm not getting younger and there is only so much disingenuous bullshit I am willing to put up with. What I am telling you is, I'm on to your game and I find it pathetic. What I don't get is the "why", and because I find your method of communication to be vile and demeaning, I'm adding you to my ignore list.

I apologize to other A2K members, but I find layman's posts to be insulting and a tad vulgar and coarse. If he ever decides to drop his bullshit persona I would appreciate hearing it. I think layman is worth listening to, but only if he drops his Uncle Tom delivery.
layman

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 05:43 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
What I am telling you is, I'm on to your game and I find it pathetic

Well, ya done got my number, there, sho nuff, Homegirl. Gunna miss ya.

But, ya know what, Sista? You're gunna need my help someday.

On the flipside, Darlin.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 05:52 am
@glitterbag,
Anyone who calls for nuclear war and the deaths of millions of people is not worth listening to. He's exactly like Oralboy, just not quite as stupid.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 07:06 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
layman, I don't think I can abide anymore of your affectation to portray yourself in patois. You might see your "eh", "aint gunna be"s", "sho nuff"s" as folksy, but what you are actually doing is mocking a dialect.

DITTO!!!!
djjd62

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 07:08 am
@bobsal u1553115,
not if it's his dialect
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 07:19 am
@djjd62,
Please.
djjd62

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 07:22 am
@bobsal u1553115,
and thank you
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 12:31 pm
well, well, well

HOW MUCH DO WE NEED TO WAKE FINALLY UP FOLKS!!!???

Quote:
French Jewish community warned on Friday morning of #ParisAttacks – Times of Israel changed story to hide inside intelligence

http://www.davidicke.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/34764jewinsider.jpghttp://www.davidicke.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/34764jewinsider.jpg

0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 02:11 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
DITTO!!!!

In my experience, the more people tell me about what my thoughts, intentions, characteristics, etc. are, the more they tell me about what they are in those regards.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 02:25 pm
@layman,
And visa versa.