Paris skyscraper plan

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 10:22 am
Here's more slightly old architecture news -

LINK -Controversial plan to construct a number of skysscrapers across Paris

Vive la revolution!
2007 issue 48
These are the first images of a controversial plan to construct a number of skyscrapers across Paris, which was unveiled by the mayor, Bertrand Delanoë, last week.

The buildings will go up in the industrial areas of Masséna-Bruneseau, la Chapelle and Bercy.

This scheme, designed by French architect Brenac et Gonzalez, is one of 11 designed by architects from France, Germany, Spain and Austria. The mayor's plans for a "Greater Paris" are opposed by most Parisians. Delanoë himself issued a law last year capping the height of tall towers at 37m.
http://www.building.co.uk/Pictures/web/w/r/x/paris_Brenac_Gonzalez__Port.jpg

That was one of eight images with the article re the different plans.

What do you think?

Me, I'm unclear if these building sites are in the "historic center" of Paris, or not, though I'm guessing those areas are.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 20,077 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 10:51 am
Re: Paris skyscraper plan
ossobuco wrote:

Me, I'm unclear if these building sites are in the "historic center" of Paris, or not, though I'm guessing those areas are.

Whant you said in your above post:

ossobuco wrote:
The buildings will go up in the industrial areas of Masséna-Bruneseau, la Chapelle and Bercy.

From Le Figaro (28.10.07, page 30):
Quote:
Brénac et Gonzalez ont donc imaginé comme une « butte de la Chapelle, artificielle, résume Xavier Gonzalez. Un complexe de bâtiments engloberait le périphérique, avec des programmes sur et sous le boulevard. Et sur la butte, viendraient quatre tours variant de 90 à 120 mètres, ainsi qu'un grand jardin formant une ligne verte entre Paris et sa banlieue » .
Brénac and Gonzalez thus imagined as a "hillock of the Vault, artificial, summarizes Xavier Gonzalez. A complex of buildings would include the peripheral, with programs on and under the boulevard. And on the hillock, four turns would come varying from 90 to 120 meters, as well as a large garden forming a green line between Paris and its suburbs".
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 11:17 am
Sorry, that is not clear to me..

no buildings are within the historic center?

I can find Bercy and La Chapelle on this map, and I'm gathering the buildings are right at the edge abutting the historic center, and perhaps under the peripheral road?

http://www.devinci.fr/ri/incoming/Liens/paris.gif

If not, then I'm not by definition opposed myself, though I might be if I understood more what those peripheral areas look like, and why Parisians are against such building. (As you know, I've never been to Paris).
From the images in the article, now that I surmise those areas are on the periphery, the buildings seem outsized re what is presently there. So, assuming they go ahead with these, it seems it will precipitate a lot of change in the Paris skyline. I can see the Parisians point.
Hmm, La Phare isn't that close, is it?

Does that height limit that is being broached cover the entire periphery?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 11:58 am
La Phare would be La Défence

La Chapelle (18ème arrondissement), Bercy-Poniatowski (12ème) et Masséna-Bruneseau (13ème) - all more or less along the périphérique.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 12:15 pm
Right, I remembered it was La Defense, but hadn't checked how far that was from the periphery edge.... seemingly further than these other buildings.

It seems to me a question of how close to the center Paris is willing to be ringed, or somewhat surrounded, with skyscrapers in the future.

I'm still not clear on

a) if any of the buildings are sited across the periphery into the h. center. I'll take it they're not.

b) if that height limit is only in the city historic center, or outside it, and how far outside it. Did La Phare in La Defense surpass such a limit?
It seems that the height limit is probably regarding areas within Paris city limits. Thus I need to find a map of where the city limit is.

Back later.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 12:20 pm
La Defense is not within the Paris city borders but in the Hauts-de-Seine département municipalities of Nanterre, Courbevoie and Puteaux.

Wikipedia's List of tallest buildings and structures in the Paris region actually is a nice ... well, list of all the various buildings and where they are situated.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 01:45 pm
Thanks, will take a look.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 01:35 am
@ossobuco,
I wonder if this massive cityscape project is still in the works or totally scrapped due to the global recession.
Francis

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 03:43 am
@tsarstepan,
Totally scrapped for other reasons than global recession..
0 Replies