Unfit for Command

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 10:39 am
No, it's your close-minded attitude towards the man which is ludicrous, Swolf.

I don't like Bush at all, I think he's done an atrocious job. But he has done some things right.

See how easy that was?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 11:00 am
dyslexia wrote:
by snapping one's fingers in series of threes while turning around counter-clockwise, one can, mysteriously it seems, not only avoid lurking lamposts but demmunists and suuthwestern elephants. I heard of this when I snuck into a "Rosicruicans for Bush" meeting behind the local Walgreen's Pharmancy last tuesday eve.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

dude, you have got to put out a book. you come up with some of the funniest ****. k.v. would be proud. speaking of k.v., i'm now pretty convinced the man was a prophet. that little drawing of bush that he put on one of the first few pages of breakfast of champions is beautiful. Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 03:33 pm
Oh fer chrissakes people.

blatham wrote:
swolfie

We'd love to know what your standard reading list for a day might be. And we'd love to know how you might have formed your concepts of reasonable evidence, burden of proof, [etc etc]

Really?

Who's "we", here?

I wouldnt.

And I'm sick of thread after thread being hijacked by Swolf - and we all, you all, cheerleading him on with your satire and arguments.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 04:03 pm
Brand X wrote:
Or George Soros at 20 million and counting...

richard mellon-scaife...
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 04:19 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Brand X wrote:
Or George Soros at 20 million and counting...

richard mellon-scaife...

From what I've read and heard, democrats are outdoing republicans in the new soft money department by more than ten to one.
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 04:20 pm
nimh wrote:

And I'm sick of thread after thread being hijacked by Swolf - and we all, you all, cheerleading him on with your satire and arguments.

http://www.nojohnkerry.org/imagemedia/crybaby.jpg
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 04:21 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
No, it's your close-minded attitude towards the man which is ludicrous, Swolf.

I don't like Bush at all, I think he's done an atrocious job. But he has done some things right.

What all do you have to do right to get impeached?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 04:23 pm
Why did you paste that piece of art twice, swolf. Just to be obnoxious?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 05:07 pm
If you click the headline and read the original webpage, you'll find many of the details linked to the originating stories. Emphasis here is mine.

Quote:
Who is Steve Gardner?
Swift Boat Vet "eyewitness" was not present for events leading to Kerry's medals or Purple Hearts

Stephen Gardner has been touted by the anti-Kerry group Swift Boat Veterans for Truth and by conservative hosts as a singularly authoritative critic with firsthand knowledge of Senator John Kerry's (D-MA) record in Vietnam because Gardner -- unlike all the other members of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth -- actually served on a swift boat that Kerry commanded. Gardner has questioned Kerry's integrity; has claimed personal knowledge of the circumstances leading to Kerry's first Purple Heart; and has spoken with authority about the events leading to Kerry's Bronze Star. Fellow anti-Kerry Swift Boat Vets member Larry Thurlow has also cited Gardner as eyewitness support for his accusations against Kerry and against Kerry's first Purple Heart. Yet while Gardner did serve as a gunner under Kerry's command on PCF (Patrol Craft Fast) 44, he has admitted that he -- just like the rest of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth claiming that Kerry is lying about his medals -- was not present for the incidents leading to Kerry's receipt of any medals or any of Kerry's three Purple Hearts.

Gardner admitted that "he was not on the boat with Kerry during the incidents for which Kerry got his medals," reported The Columbus Dispatch on August 6. And as a guest on Michael Savage's radio show, Savage Nation, on August 2, Gardner said that of Kerry's three Purple Hearts, he could only attest to the first; Gardner later admitted to Savage that he was "not on the boat with him [Kerry]" when that injury occurred.

Yet in repeated media appearances, conservative hosts have presented Gardner as an eyewitness to key Kerry events. And in at least two interviews, Gardner has falsely claimed that he was present for the incidents leading to Kerry's receipt of awards. On Savage Nation on August 2, Savage introduced Gardner as an "expert coming on this show eventually to talk about the phony John Kerry and his swift boat." On FOX News Channel's The O'Reilly Factor on August 9, host Bill O'Reilly identified Gardner as "the only one who served directly under him of the 3,500 ... an eyewitness." As a guest on the August 20 edition of MSNBC's Scarborough Country, host and former U.S. Representative Joe Scarborough (R-FL) introduced Gardner as "a vet who actually served on John Kerry's swift boat" who would provide "a firsthand account of what really happened in Vietnam." On that same edition of Scarborough Country, MSNBC political analyst Pat Buchanan touted Gardner as the "first member who actually served aboard John Kerry's boat to speak since this controversy erupted," before he asked Gardner, "[W]ho is telling the truth?"

In an apparent attempt to substantiate his status as an eyewitness to key Kerry events, Gardner claimed on Scarborough Country, "[T]hat boat never left the dock that I wasn't aboard it with John Kerry, never. I was with that boat everywhere we went." Gardner went on to make assertions regarding the events that occurred on March 13, 1969, involving Kerry's rescue of Jim Rassmann, for which Kerry received the Bronze Star. Gardner claimed to know that Kerry fled the scene on the river that day while the other three boats stayed and that Kerry then "turned around and came all the way back to pick up Mr. Rassmann that he had thrown off his boat when he took off, when he fled down the canal." But later in the show, Gardner admitted to not being present that day.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 06:39 pm
nimh wrote:
Oh fer chrissakes people.

blatham wrote:
swolfie

We'd love to know what your standard reading list for a day might be. And we'd love to know how you might have formed your concepts of reasonable evidence, burden of proof, [etc etc]

Really?

Who's "we", here?

I wouldnt.

You wouldn't? How does a mind like this happen? How do so many minds like this happen? They appear here as if we are at the end of some assembly line. The content of their posts is almost entirely predictable in its cliches and phrasings. Likewise predictable is their inability to engage in anything close to a careful and reflective Socratic dialogue.

So, nimh, how do you propose we engage them? That's not a glib or rhetorical question, it's absolutely serious. I've poured god knows how many careful arguments and god knows how many links to relevant and diverse background treatises of the issues at hand into this board with, in many if not most cases, no discernible consequence whatsoever in the minds and postings of folks like swolf. And that's true as well of your contributions and their consequences. We could conclude that nothing we'll say will make any difference and in fact, it's often the case that our opposition and our slower more careful methodology will in and of itself appear to them as evidence that they are right.

What the hell do we do with fixed ideas? What the hell do we do with folks who not only settle for the easy answers, but run toward them as if they were an oasis? And what the hell do we do when we have a set of set of dynamics - and the New Right along with the Bush crowd is perhaps the most active and consequential element in these dynamics - which need and want a populace EXACTLY like swolf?

I was away for a while and took the opportunity to do a lot of needed and wonderful reading. Looking back in here this morning, going over the political threads, was as depressing a morning as I've had in a while.

So, what do you propose? I'd accuse you of being simply a pompous ass, but that description would apply likely as easily to me as to you.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 06:55 pm
I like what nimh did on another thread -- put together a cogent, factual summary of the situation. I think a lot of that, and a lack of... less empirical stuff..., is the only thing that can be done if you are trying to accomplish something beyond venting. And, ya know, venting has its place.

What I try to keep in mind as I type is not convincing the unconvincable -- and I consider swolf unconvincable -- but a) clarifying my own thinking and b) (pie in the sky but hey I can hope) convincing actual convincables who are reading along.

'Cause it DOES happen that people who come here and have been fed a diet of Fox and Drudge see the other side and say oh. Really? I didn't know that.

That's cool.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:01 pm
soz

a) is the sure one. On the matter of b), that's where I'm in trouble. I wish I didn't consider this all so damned important, but for whatever mix of reasons subjective and objective, I do.

There's a piece in the latest NY Review of Books reviewing Robert Byrd's new book "Losing America". Unfortunately, it's not available in the online version, so one would have to pick it up off the shelf. My alarm is matched in Byrd. I'll type out just a bit...

Quote:
In Byrd's view the elements required to bring down a republic are an executive insistent on unlimited power and lawmakers too timid to resist him. Such, he believes, is the present situation in Washington. In old Rome the insistent executive was Julius Caesar, and was murdered for it by a few outraged senators. Byrd sees many presidential actions since September 11 as dangerous assaults on constitutional government and civil liberties, though he stops short of suggesting that Bush is the American Caesar.
(reviewer is Russel Baker)

And Byrd recounts, after being summoned with other lawmakers to the White House for a Bush announcement on Homeland Security (senators as props for photo of president, and of course, after Bush had fought against the Homeland Security proposals). Bush makes some comment on the new department, the lights go off, folks depart and "Byrd asks to be heard"

Quote:
I noted that the President wanted quick action on his "homleand security package" but [said] I have never been informed on what was in the "package". I had heard one leader at the table vow passage of "this thing" by Election Day. I repeated that as yet, "I don't know what 'this things' is." The president responded with a non sequitur, thanking me for my statement and assuring me that it would be considered. Then he promptly rose and headed out the door. Amazing. I might as well have been reciting a recipe for Christmas fruitcake. My opinion of meetings at the White House hit a new low. I was struck by the president's dismal performance. To say it was mediocre would be a gross exaggeration. He was disorganized, unprepared, and rambling. This fellow was at hat and no cattle, as they would say in Texas. It was obvious that he had no idea what was in his Department of Homeland Security proposal, nor did he seem to care.
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 10:52 pm
Quote:

In Byrd's view the elements required to bring down a republic are an executive insistent on unlimited power and lawmakers too timid to resist him. Such, he believes, is the present situation in Washington. In old Rome the insistent executive was Julius Caesar, and was murdered for it by a few outraged senators. Byrd sees many presidential actions since September 11 as dangerous assaults on constitutional government and civil liberties, though he stops short of suggesting that Bush is the American Caesar.

Robert Byrd? The imperial wizard?? That Robert Byrd?

http://www.artfacts.net/exhibpics/11203.jpg

You're claiming that the imperial wizard is saying that George W. Bush, who lets Michael fat-drunk-and-stupid-is-no-way-to-go-through-life Moore go around peddling outright propaganda films and George Soros try to spend him out of office while the gigolo is trying every possible legal tactic to shut down the little swiftvet ads and have their book banned by threatening bookstores is a problem, while Slick Klintler with his massive abuses of power was not??

Maybe you could explain the logic of that to us? Or is that some sort of logic which only works with members of the same kleagle ( "it's a klan thing, you wouldn't understand")??
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 01:30 am
swolf wrote:

Robert Byrd? The imperial wizard?? That Robert Byrd?

gosh. ya really got the old guy there, didn't ya?

wanna know the difference between byrd and bush?

byrd learned from his mistakes.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 01:41 am
swolf wrote:
Moore... George Soros

you right wingers have got a real thing about moore. don't seem to care much about the propaganda issue when ya tune in to "nod along with sean" on fnc though, i betcha.

did saint hammity clue ya in on soros? just a little?

ever hear him have "the moral courage" to talk about richard mellon-scaife? no? and ya can bet your sweet bippy he won't either. can't bite the hand that feeds. feeds murdoch that is.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 05:13 am
Blatham

OK, I can see the risk of another looming meta-discussion about A2K, but I'll take the risk and answer your post.

blatham wrote:
You wouldn't? How does a mind like this happen? How do so many minds like this happen? They appear here as if we are at the end of some assembly line. The content of their posts is almost entirely predictable in its cliches and phrasings.

I would say that noone here is like Swolf, just like noone here was like, whatsisname - the Posner guy. You tend to throw everyone from Sofia to Scrat and Fox to the likes of Swolf in the same category. Thats like throwing Soz and me in together with Tartarin up to Pistoff and frolic.

blatham wrote:
So, nimh, how do you propose we engage them? That's not a glib or rhetorical question, it's absolutely serious.

Collect facts. Rapid response: defuse any infactual assertion that can reasonably be checked.

You can compare general perspectives and abstract points of view on Bush, the neo-conservatives and America in this day and age until the end of days - and if you happen to be talking with georgeob1 or Finn it can actually be an enjoyable exercise, but ... thats all it'll be, a freewheeling exchange of views. Which, of course, is part of what A2K is about.

Meanwhile, this board, like many others, occasionally is swamped by outright lies, fallacies and mere factual mistakes when a 'hot' issue comes up. Those you can counter (especially the latter). You still probably wont convince the person expressing them, but at least you'll block one more tribuary of the flow of further dissemination.

Plus, its practical. Do some documentational work. You bring the facts together once, you'll be able to use them ad infinitum in the future to counter the same assertions when they come up again and again.

Finally, Soz's b) category does exist. I am guilty a little bit of the same you do in extremis - a priori assume anyone of a certain political bend and posting style to be a hopeless case and enter conversation with him in equivalent style (answer in mere satire, coming into a discussion boots first, whatever). But posters like Brand X and even Fox, too, have occasionally been moved to stop putting forward a certain assertion when its shown to lack basis or be factually incorrect (until they find some new source they think backs it up again). No, they wont explicitly admit you're right (I always marvel at how terribly difficult people find it to say, "oh yeah, OK, I was wrong" - I do it all the time myself). But they'll silently make amends, go for another example or argument next time, et cetera. And they're a lot more likely to do so, imho, if you come up with straightforward facts, qoutes or sources on the asserted fact at hand than if you counter with a long, eloquent but glib and put-down-riddled political-philosophical panorama on the State of American Politics Today.

Plus (more relevantly perhaps), there's always the new people coming in (even just to read the thread), and its useful if when they then see a neat overview of SVFT assertions, they'll see a neat overview of the records and testimonies that prove them wrong as well. Those, too, are I guess more likely to take that into account than some abstract treatise about the evil of neo-conservatism. Its all just marginal of course, but every little bit helps.

Meanwhile, if you can distinguish between, say, Foxfyre and Swolf, you'll be able to keep threads at least within the realm of the sane. Argue with Fox and she'll put up a post for every of yours, with her own fallacies but also her own facts and sources - on the topic at hand. Throw Swolf an answer - any kind of answer - and you know that you're going to get not one, but five responses, consisting of a Dadaist collection of cartoons, communist newspaper frontpages, Serbofascist ramblings and diatribes about anything except the topic at hand - well, about the Yugoslav war, anthrax and Clinton's deadly sins, specifically, anyway.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 07:36 am
Aug. 25, 2004

"We're not going to stop. We'd be doing this if John Kerry was a Republican," Van Odell (search), a Vietnam veteran and one of the leaders of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth (search), told "FOX and Friends."

Odell said he and others in the group were exercising their free speech rights. "I don't know how freedom of speech could be bad for the system," Odell said. "We paid for that through our blood and service in Vietnam."
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 09:08 am
You're amazing Nimh. And, as usual, right on.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 09:15 am
Brand X wrote:
Aug. 25, 2004

"We're not going to stop. We'd be doing this if John Kerry was a Republican," Van Odell (search), a Vietnam veteran and one of the leaders of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth (search), told "FOX and Friends."

Odell said he and others in the group were exercising their free speech rights. "I don't know how freedom of speech could be bad for the system," Odell said. "We paid for that through our blood and service in Vietnam."

So, have these folks taken on Thurlow?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 10:15 am
nimh wrote:
Blatham

OK, I can see the risk of another looming meta-discussion about A2K, but I'll take the risk and answer your post.
Actually, I think we don't have enough of them. But perhaps we each have a different sense of how futility might be avoided.

blatham wrote:
You wouldn't? How does a mind like this happen? How do so many minds like this happen? They appear here as if we are at the end of some assembly line. The content of their posts is almost entirely predictable in its cliches and phrasings.

I would say that noone here is like Swolf, just like noone here was like, whatsisname - the Posner guy. You tend to throw everyone from Sofia to Scrat and Fox to the likes of Swolf in the same category. Thats like throwing Soz and me in together with Tartarin up to Pistoff and frolic.
Well, that's exactly what Pistoff would have said. I'm not sure you have this right, though you may. I am aware that I protest unity of view more than many others, and particularly where the view expressed is taken from authority with little reflection on underlying assumptions or with little attempt to apply some rigor to evidence, etc. And I do believe these failings, though not unique to the right, are particularly egregious in the modern American right. That's not a thesis many of these folks named will have any truck with, but it's a thesis with a lot of evidence and scholarship beneath it. Further, it isn't merely the consequence of some chance-driven swing, but rather of much explicitly directed and planned and funded activity. A lot of bright (and generally centrist) people have written on this. Just take, for example, that range of names you've provided above and recall their (one for one? damn close) justifications for Abu Ghraib. For torture! [color]

[quote="blatham"]So, nimh, how do you propose we engage them? That's not a glib or rhetorical question, it's absolutely serious.

Collect facts. Rapid response: defuse any infactual assertion that can reasonably be checked.
Sure.

You can compare general perspectives and abstract points of view on Bush, the neo-conservatives and America in this day and age until the end of days - and if you happen to be talking with georgeob1 or Finn it can actually be an enjoyable exercise, but ... thats all it'll be, a freewheeling exchange of views. Which, of course, is part of what A2K is about. Yes, or Occam and some others.

Meanwhile, this board, like many others, occasionally is swamped by outright lies, fallacies and mere factual mistakes when a 'hot' issue comes up. Those you can counter (especially the latter). You still probably wont convince the person expressing them, but at least you'll block one more tribuary of the flow of further dissemination.

Plus, its practical. Do some documentational work. You bring the facts together once, you'll be able to use them ad infinitum in the future to counter the same assertions when they come up again and again.
Sure, and many of us attempt this, but that seems insufficient. Perhaps you are a more patient man than am I.

Finally, Soz's b) category does exist. I am guilty a little bit of the same you do in extremis - a priori assume anyone of a certain political bend and posting style to be a hopeless case and enter conversation with him in equivalent style (answer in mere satire, coming into a discussion boots first, whatever). But posters like Brand X and even Fox, too, have occasionally been moved to stop putting forward a certain assertion when its shown to lack basis or be factually incorrect (until they find some new source they think backs it up again). No, they wont explicitly admit you're right (I always marvel at how terribly difficult people find it to say, "oh yeah, OK, I was wrong" - I do it all the time myself). But they'll silently make amends, go for another example or argument next time, et cetera. And they're a lot more likely to do so, imho, if you come up with straightforward facts, qoutes or sources on the asserted fact at hand than if you counter with a long, eloquent but glib and put-down-riddled political-philosophical panorama on the State of American Politics Today.
That last sentence is a pointed one. I'll protest only the use of 'glib'. I observe the response you refer to, but it troubles me not much. I hold nationalism to be a great and dangerous idiocy. There may be a strategic rhetorical reason to speak in some different manner and to forward less put-offish theses, but somehow, somewhere, these issues have to be confronted openly.

Plus (more relevantly perhaps), there's always the new people coming in (even just to read the thread), and its useful if when they then see a neat overview of SVFT assertions, they'll see a neat overview of the records and testimonies that prove them wrong as well. Those, too, are I guess more likely to take that into account than some abstract treatise about the evil of neo-conservatism. Its all just marginal of course, but every little bit helps.
Save the complex and 'abstract' for elsewhere? Or are such merely 'glib', thus with little worth? Or with little worth the way I go about it?

Meanwhile, if you can distinguish between, say, Foxfyre and Swolf, you'll be able to keep threads at least within the realm of the sane. Argue with Fox and she'll put up a post for every of yours, with her own fallacies but also her own facts and sources - on the topic at hand. Throw Swolf an answer - any kind of answer - and you know that you're going to get not one, but five responses, consisting of a Dadaist collection of cartoons, communist newspaper frontpages, Serbofascist ramblings and diatribes about anything except the topic at hand - well, about the Yugoslav war, anthrax and Clinton's deadly sins, specifically, anyway.[/quote]
If I can? With 'can' in italics?
0 Replies