When will Jeb Bush give up his candidacy?

engineer

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 05:07 am
@Brandon9000,
I see the polls and listen to conservatives around here. That and occasionally listen to the right wing commentators, but often they don't reflect conservative views either.

As for my beliefs, I don't blame Bush for 9-11 nor do I think his actions (nor Obama's) made us particularly safer. I think the Iraq war was a mistake and made us less safe for no or negative gain. Yes, I think Bush sounds very petulant recently.
farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 05:33 am
@engineer,
yeh, hes been revealing his juvenile side hasnt he?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 06:27 am
when i'm quick scrolling through the titles, this always pops into my head when i see this one

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a5/George_Carlin_-_When_Will_Jesus_Bring_The_Pork_Chops_(cover).jpg

i wish george was still around to comment on this clusterfuck of an election
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 06:47 am
@djjd62,
By pork chops I assume he's referring to the GOP candidates?
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 07:03 am
@engineer,
Actually I do blame the Bush administration for a couple of reasons for 9/11. From what I read afterwards, they were so intent on not continuing Clinton's policies that they ignored information which had to with Bid Laden as being not too important. Had they paid more attention to Richard Clark, at least they might not have seem like a deer in the headlights and followed after some of the leads which actually did suggest AQ was interested in blowing up buildings with planes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 07:07 am
There was an FBI agent who reported, months before the event, about immigrants who had overstayed their visas and were taking flying lessons. She specifically mentioned Mohammed Atta. She was basically told that she had better things to do, and should start doing them. I agree that they had taken their collective eye off the ball.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 07:11 am
I just checked on this, and Mohammed Atta and three other names were on a list of people whom Israeli Mossad had provided to Central Intelligence as people who intended to make an attack. That was on August 22d, 2001. The Israeli tip mentioned 19 suspects--and this was just a few weeks after the "20th hijacker" was held by immigration while attempting to enter the U.S. So the Israeli information was not only accurate, it was up-to-date.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 07:49 am
@djjd62,
Oh, yeah... I miss George. I met him once, in a manner of speaking. He came up to our lab window when I was at the front desk. I managed not to hysterically gush, I'se was cool.

I can just imagine his comments on the present goings-on.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 08:20 pm
How does Bush stay in this after that really bad night? He was not even in the right league.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 04:02 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
I see the polls and listen to conservatives around here. That and occasionally listen to the right wing commentators, but often they don't reflect conservative views either.

As for my beliefs, I don't blame Bush for 9-11 nor do I think his actions (nor Obama's) made us particularly safer. I think the Iraq war was a mistake and made us less safe for no or negative gain. Yes, I think Bush sounds very petulant recently.

But the question wasn't what you think. It was what conservatives think.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 04:24 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

engineer wrote:

But the question wasn't what you think. It was what conservatives think.

Conservatives are going to start "thinking?"

Holy Toledo...what is this world coming to!
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 06:20 am
@hawkeye10,
Apparently according to several sources the moderators were mostly at fault. Both liberal and conservative news sites agree the debate was a train wreck.

'Extremely disappointing': RNC head slams CNBC debate moderators

The CNBC Republican Debate Was A Total Trainwreck

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 06:26 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Apparently according to several sources the moderators were mostly at fault. Both liberal and conservative news sites agree the debate was a train wreck.

'Extremely disappointing': RNC head slams CNBC debate moderators

The CNBC Republican Debate Was A Total Trainwreck

It most assuredly was a train wreck...and both the moderators and the candidates contributed.

The clear winner once again: The Democratic Party candidates.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 06:28 am
Back to the topic:

After this performance, JEB ought to fold his tent and go into the private sector and make billions.

He seems like a genuinely nice person.

But this is not the spot for him.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 06:44 am
@revelette2,
Maybe if they held something a little more debatish.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 07:27 am
Bush gets the second to least speaking time during the debate. Not a good sign if he wants to get back into this. I'm not sure Bush survives past South Carolina.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 07:31 am
@engineer,
He kinda reminds me of Gore in 2000. I don't think Jeb has any fire in his belly. If he's not excited he'll never inspire any fire in the electorate.

Gore could have taken it in a walk if he'd only went out there and campaigned.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 07:42 am
@engineer,
Fivethirtyeight.com starting to write Bush off.

Quote:
“You know, I think Jeb Bush is toast,” I told one of my editors after Wednesday night’s debate.

“I kinda do too,” he replied. “I’m just worried because that’s what everyone else seems to think too.”

Yes, we pride ourselves on being skeptical of the conventional wisdom here at FiveThirtyEight. You don’t have to look very far back for examples of it being wrong, such as how it badly overestimated the degree of danger that Hillary Clinton’s campaign was in until a week or two ago. But being skeptical is not the same thing as being a contrarian. There are plenty of times when the conventional wisdom is right. This is probably one of those times.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 10:07 am
Well, my first post in this thread was sort of a joke. As a liberal guy I would probably never vote for Jeb in November. But, seriously, aren't you all sorry to see him failing like this? Other than him, are there any moderates on the Republican side with a chance?
engineer

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 10:27 am
@Kolyo,
Yes, I am. I have always thought of him as very thoughtful even if I didn't agree with his positions. To see him go out with a whimper instead of a bang is a bit saddening. Plus, I always liked his dad.