When will Jeb Bush give up his candidacy?

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2015 03:34 pm
Bush transparency claims tested by unreleased Bacardi emails

By Tom LoBianco, CNN

Updated 12:03 PM ET, Thu October 1, 2015 | Video Source: CNN

Washington (CNN)To hear Jeb Bush tell it, he's the anti-Hillary Clinton, a veritable open-book about his time as Florida governor, especially when it comes to publicly releasing his emails -- an issue that has dogged the Democratic presidential front-runner for months.

Bush rolled out his cybersecurity plan recently in a meeting with tech leaders in Seattle, while continuing to blast Clinton: "It should not be too much to ask government officials to abide by the laws and rules in place to safeguard our national security."

And when he released his emails from his time as governor in an e-book last month, "Reply All." his campaign blasted out a website and video with a clear message: Bush is an "open book" and Clinton is "elusive and evasive."

"With the release of his ebook, Governor Bush continues to show his genuine openness and transparency. The emails weren't written with an eye toward future office. They are the earliest form of 'Jeb Unfiltered,'" the Bush campaign wrote on its site. The Bush team then posted a pre-written tweet for supporters to blast out: "While she dodges and hides, Governor Bush has consistently chosen the path of transparency. The contrast couldn't be clearer."

But a 2002 trade battle between Bacardi and Cuba over the rights to the "Havana Club" label shows Bush's transparency has its limits and shows some details are missing from the Bush email repository.

A string of emails from Bush personally weighing in on the Bacardi fight when he was governor of Florida were not among any of the releases. Their existence is only known because a Florida investigative reporter obtained them years ago.

Bush has released hundreds of thousands of emails from the private email server he used to conduct state business when he was governor from 1999-2007. And the state of Florida released an even more comprehensive batch of emails, including emails sent to his official state email address that were not on found in his public release.

But even all those gigabytes are still missing some incisive emails -- like an April 2002 directive from Bush to his then-chief of staff with a clear message about the rum lobbying fight: "this is ridiculous. let us discuss."

The New York Times pointed out that Bush may have broken state public records retention laws earlier this year, after he waited seven years to provide the state with 25,000 emails from his time as governor. And a group run by veteran Democratic operative Brad Woodhouse filed a complaint last month, saying that Bush should face the misdemeanor charge of withholding records -- punishable by up to a year in prison or $1,000.

But it's unclear if Bush broke any laws by not releasing every email from his time in office.

Kristy Campbell, a Bush campaign spokeswoman, did not say what happened to the missing emails, instead she touted Bush's "unprecedented commitment to transparency."

"Today a full permanent archive of nearly 300,000 emails reside with the Florida Department of State, above and beyond Florida retention policies. To make them even more accessible, Jeb launched jebemails.com earlier this year," Campbell said in a statement.
Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush waves as he takes the stage as he formally announces he is joining the race for president with a speech June 15, 2015, at Miami Dade College in Miami.
21 photos: Jeb Bush's life

She continued: "With regards to Bacardi in general, there are numerous emails in his archive that discuss Governor Bush's posture on this issue in addition to public press reports citing his advocacy. His longstanding support for Florida-based companies and opposition to both government confiscation of private property and the Castro regime in Cuba are well-documented."

Campbell said Monday that there "is no comparison" between Bush and Clinton, alleging Clinton did "everything possible to circumvent transparency" and "(endangered) classified information."

Bush's involvement in the rum fight began in earnest January 2002, when a top Republican donor and the president of Bacardi rum's U.S. operation went to Bush with a simple plea, laid out in an email subject line: "BACARDI NEEDS HELP." Bacardi was embroiled in a patent fight with French liquor giant Pernod and Fidel Castro over the world-renowned rum label "Havana Club." And Bacardi was losing, badly.

For years, Bacardi had unsuccessfully argued that the Pernod-Cuba claim to the label should be voided because Castro wrongly wrested control from a private owner in the Cuban Revolution.

In 2002, Bacardi turned to Bush, whose older brother had taken the White House a year earlier, to make its case. And Bush quickly set his team to work, fighting to get the "Havana Club" label for Bacardi.

Among the emails not made public by Bush, but documented by Florida investigative reporter Dan Christensen earlier this year, is the reply from Bush's then-chief of staff Kathleen Shanahan that their early efforts for Bacardi had not worked and "we may need to move up the food chain."

The Bacardi emails were not in copies of Bush's emails provided to CNN by the Florida Department of State in response to an open records request. They also were not found on Bush's email website -- which includes a smaller set of the batch released by the state.

When the Department of State's office was later asked for the emails not publicly released, an official said it would take several weeks to process. The office, the official said, is preoccupied with a larger review sparked by the accidental release of social security numbers in the Bush emails.

Questions about government work emails and private servers have become a major issue for Clinton.

Clinton's use of a private email server and the sending of classified information over an unsecured server spurred her to make a surprise apology to voters. She continued fending off questions about her email server telling The Des Moines Register's editorial board recently that "there is no evidence at all that my server was breached" and even joking, when asked about transparency: "Well, you can count on me not to have a private email server."

The FBI is in the process of recovering Clinton's emails as part of a Justice Department review. Republicans have argued her personal email server could have compromised national security, there are ongoing investigation into her email by both the U.S. government and Congressional Republicans and Clinton herself will testify under oath about her email next month on Capitol Hill.

During a campaign swing through Nevada last month, Bush likened Clinton to former Army private Chelsea Manning and former National Security Agency employee Edward Snowden -- who released troves of sensitive U.S. government information and are either in prison or facing jail time.

"I mean, we got problems with our federal government firewalls obviously, but to have a private server in your home, I mean, come on, man," Bush said last month. "That doesn't pass the smell test."

Questions about gaps in Bush's email release are hardly new, Politifact Florida found that his statement "I released all my emails" was "Mostly False" and ticked down a list of reasons, including the determination he only released 51% of the 550,000 emails he said he had from 1999-2007. Bush was required to turn over emails that had to do with state business. Under the law, according to Politifact, Bush is entitled to decide which emails pertained to state business and which ones are personal.

The Bacardi lobbying is one of the first looks at just what details are missing from the Bush email repository.
Former Delaware Attorney General Beau Biden embraces his father, Vice President Joe Biden, at the Democratic National Convention in 2008. Click through the images for other American political families.
27 photos: Photos: Political families

At the time, Jorge Rodriguez-Marquez, the president of Bacardi-USA, Inc., was embroiled in the legal battle trying to wrest control of the "Havana Club" name. The label is a top commodity and Rodriguez-Marquez had argued before the Clinton administration and then the Bush administration that Cuba had no rights to the name.

More than a dozen relevant emails about the battle were found in the state of Florida public records response, and a smaller number were found in Bush's own release last December. But some of the most relevant ones -- tying Bush to calls for direct action for Bacardi -- were missing from his much-trumpeted data dump.

Copies obtained by Christensen, a veteran Florida investigative reporter, a decade earlier, were posted to the nonprofit news site he now edits, FloridaBulldog.org, in February.

They fill in key gaps from the Bush emails publicly released at his website JebEmails.com.

A Bacardi executive told CNN that the fight for the "Havana Club" label is actually ongoing, and taking "longer than what Bacardi expected."

"To put the referenced e-mail correspondence into context, the dispute surrounding Havana Club rum has been going on for more than 20 years," Rick Wilson, Bacardi's senior vice president for external affairs, said in a statement. "Then-Gov. Bush was responding to inquiries by Mr. Rodriguez and Bacardi to determine what was taking so long in what Bacardi believed to be rather routine measures after the company purchased the legitimate global rights to the Havana Club trademark from the creators and original owners, Jose Arechabala S.A. and the Arechabala family."

A Bacardi spokeswoman said that Rodriguez-Marquez had retired from the company. But in a 2003 Washington Post article about the dispute he said, "Florida businesses and citizens expect they may turn to the Governor's office when their legitimate and legally resolved issues are in jeopardy."

Rodriguez-Marquez spurred Bush's intervention with the January 8, 2002, email, the first of many, sent with the all caps subject line.

Before asking Bush for help, Rodriguez-Marquez detailed the international legal fight and dropped key names, including that of long-time Bush friend and Miami lawyer Al Cardenas.

"We need your help," he wrote. "Perhaps we should meet with Secretary O'Neil and Secretary Evans, or whomever you think might be helpful. I have mentioned this case to Kelley McCullough from Karl Rove's office last December 8th when they visited Miami and have sent her briefings. Al Cardenas also knows of our need and has talk(sic) to some people."

The next morning, January 9, Bush replied, "Jorge, I will see what I can do." A few hours later Bush forwarded the note to his chief of staff, saying only "for our discussion."

The initial request and Bush's response were not in the state's batch of emails provided to CNN or Bush's more limited release. The only indication of its possible existence is a publicly released email from that email chain where Rodriguez-Marquez thanked Bush the next day.

Bush emails obtained from the state in the following months show his top Tallahassee and Washington staff working consistently on the issue, including a renewed push in April 2002 and again, a few months later, when Bush sent a letter to James Rogan, then-director of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Rogan, a former California congressman who helped lead the Clinton impeachment proceedings, was appointed to the position by Bush's brother, President George W. Bush.

The letter was not included in the emails released by Bush, but Christensen posted a copy he obtained.

"I am writing on behalf of Florida-based Bacardi-Martini USA, Inc. to ask that the Patent and Trademark Office take quick, decisive action on a pending application to expunge the registration of the trademark Havana Club. The out-dated registration belongs to a company owned by Fidel Castro called CubaExport and should be canceled immediately," Bush writes in the letter.

Bush and Bacardi ultimately lost that battle -- and had it dragged out in public through much of 2002 and 2003 -- but the questions for Bush's campaign remain. Clinton's email troubles turned into the defining issue of her summer, sparking opposition in most polls and leading to deep concerns among Democratic donors.

The test for Bush will come if Democrats -- and maybe even some Republicans - begin unloading on him in the coming months for his missing emails.
Follow @CNNpolitics

CNN's Chris Frates contributed to this report
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2015 03:36 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Jesus BOB, are you off your meds today? What is your explanation for sucking up so much A2K bandwidth?

And you had better have a good explanation....
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2015 04:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Jesus BOB, are you off your meds today? What is your explanation for sucking up so much A2K bandwidth?

Why is your nose so tight on my butt today? Don't you have something more important to do? Like burn down a restaurant.........

When are you getting back on topic?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2015 04:43 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Quote:

Why is your nose so tight on my butt today? Don't you have something more important to do? Like burn down a restaurant.........

When are you getting back on topic?

the topic of the moment is your lack of consideration for the rest of the membership by cutting and pasting long repetitive content from other places. That is the kind of Bullshit that the Hamsters really should step in and deal with.

Yet again we see that I am a better person than you are.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2015 04:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
When will you ever get back on topic????????????????
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2015 04:50 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

When will you ever get back on topic????????????????

My crystal ball is in the shop for repair. If yours is functioning then you tell me.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2015 07:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
Get back on topic.

Jeb'll be running out of money any day now. Another sad clown ejected from the GOP clow car.

Trump is getting his butt handed to him by the autistic candidate, Ben "shoot him not me" Carlson.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 03:53 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
It's looking pretty rough for the former Republican frontrunner. Today he announced he is cutting staff and payr0ll. He's made several missteps (supporting the Iraq war, claiming his brother made us safe, using a private email server, etc) and the trends just aren't going his way.

How would supporting the Iraq war or claiming his brother made us safe offend conservative voters? The liberals weren't going to vote for him anyway.
engineer

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 04:59 am
@Brandon9000,
But the Iraq war is not particularly popular with conservatives either and claiming that W kept us safe is sad when 3000 were killed on 9-11.

Recently he's sounded pretty petulant when responding to Trump's personal attacks, especially when he said he has better things to do than run for President. He's not looking very Presidential and he's having to shift right which will hurt him with independents should he eventually get the nod.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 06:00 am
@engineer,
Nailed it.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 08:24 am
@engineer,
At this particular time with respect to this race ... logic and sanity seems to have evaporated. Buash chances are dead. Trump is not electable.

IMHO, there's no viable Repug candidate.

It doesn't make me that sad...in the short run...as I prefer a Dem as Prez. However, the 2-party system has heard its death knell. Cooperation and some sort of effective governing with an obstructionist Congress which will attempt to handcuff Hillary should she get elected. We as Americans are suffering mightily and the country's foreign policy continually to get destructively worse.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 01:30 pm
I'm really not happy with the sorry state of affairs we call elections today. I think that even if one party disappears (and I hope it doesn't) the other party will eventually cleve in half as camps develop and opposition grows. In this country we treat football, baseball and basketball as wars we must win as if our lives depend on it. I'm particularly vexed over the arrogance of some our freshmen senators and first term congress people. They were elected to govern, but they seem to think they are in a fight to the death. Cooperation or compromise have become symbols of weakness, instead of tools of unity. Anyone who has been married or raised children knows the value of compromise.

Watching the congressmen in that abortion of a hearing last week was stomach turning. It was a hearing, but half the group were not information gathering, they acted like prosecutors in a trial. The other half spent their time apologizing
for the grand standing the other half were engaged in.

Does anybody really think that if the Republican or Democrat party dissolves that opposition will disappear??? It won't change, they will just rename themselves "the party of God loving Americans"' or "the party that represents
real Americans"
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 07:09 pm
Quote:
Bush family patriarch George H.W. Bush is alarmed, bewildered and irritated, the New York Times reported over the weekend, that his son Jeb is going so poorly in a Republican presidential primary battle dominated by Donald Trump. The 41st president summoned his son George W., the 43rd president, Jeb and Bush money men to Houston for meetings Sunday and Monday to sort out what has gone so wrong that Jeb is now cutting staff.

They didn’t have to look far for an explanation. All they had to do was listen to Jeb on Saturday in South Carolina.

“If this election is about how we’re going to fight to get nothing done, then I don’t want any part of it,” the candidate said. “. . . I’ve got a lot of really cool things that I could do other than sit around, being miserable, listening to people demonize me and me feeling compelled to demonize them. That is a joke. Elect Trump if you want that.”

I don’t want any part of it? I’ve got a lot of really cool things I could do? Elect Trump if you want? The self-described “joyful tortoise” may have just delivered the most petulant political speech since the future 37th president said “You won’t have Nixon to kick around anymore.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-jeb-bushs-campaign-has-gone-so-wrong/2015/10/26/73a9b5fe-7c20-11e5-afce-2afd1d3eb896_story.html

The elite are so lazy and entitled. So now that JEB! knows that he cant sail to the nomination with his name and money connections he is bitching and moaning and talking about taking is bat and ball and going home??!!

"GET THE **** OUT!" is the correct response to that, as many have pointed out. No point in even waiting for the next debate, I dont see how Jeb! can come back from that bit of honesty about how much he sucks.

Milbank is good as usual, do yourself a favor and take a peak.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 09:20 pm
Y'all leave Jeb alone. I'm voting for him because, if nothing else, he has good taste in women.

(Google "Jeb Bush supergirl" for a chuckle.)
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 02:46 am
@Kolyo,
Quote:
Speaking to CBS This Morning on Monday, Benoist was asked what she thought of Bush saying he found the Supergirl star attractive.

“I heard about it,” she said, before breaking out in laughter. “You know, I don’t know what to think about it.” Benoist added that she was “glad he’s excited to watch the show.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/26/supergirl-melissa-benoist-jeb-bush-pretty-hot

I believe that " thank you" is the polite response to a compliment.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 05:37 am
@hawkeye10,
'Cuz whats so creepy about a 65yr old man gushing over a twenty year girl, right?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 05:51 am
@bobsal u1553115,
No matter the age of the man the proper response is thank you. The only exceptions would be some cases where the female is younger than the AOC.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 07:51 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

'Cuz whats so creepy about a 65yr old man gushing over a twenty year girl, right?

Eight years ago, when I was as old as Melissa Benoist is now, I used to love it when my 85 year-old neighbor gushed about my looks. I didn't find it creepy at all. (She didn't use the word "hot" though. She said I had good coloring, whatever the hell that means.)
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2015 08:26 pm
@Kolyo,
Everybody has all of these rules about everything now. We are up tight easily offended humourless people for the most part now.

We used to be better.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 03:22 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
But the Iraq war is not particularly popular with conservatives either and claiming that W kept us safe is sad when 3000 were killed on 9-11.

Recently he's sounded pretty petulant when responding to Trump's personal attacks, especially when he said he has better things to do than run for President. He's not looking very Presidential and he's having to shift right which will hurt him with independents should he eventually get the nod.

As a conservative, this certainly doesn't reflect my point of view. I think that you're simply telling me yours.