Turn on the Republican convention right now! Bush Sr.'s on!

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 09:34 pm
You haven't missed anything yet Sozo. The only memorable thing about the rest of them was the idiot from Florida ticked me off. The rest was in one ear out the other boring blathering. Nothing like "John Kerry said Send me..."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 09:37 pm
What'd you think of Edwards?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 09:45 pm
To be honest after reading courtroom quotes and whatnot I kind of expected a Clinton like performance and was happily disappointed. Probably not fair because that's setting the bar pretty high... but his courtroom stuff seem brilliant. I wonder if they didn't take some shine off him, too, so Kerry could look better? It would be in keeping with what seems to be the strategy. Sorry I'm slow responding. (Poker window open)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 07:04 am
Edwards puts me in the mind of Tom Cruise with that hollywood smile of his. Not sure if I trust it but...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 07:26 am
Amazing. The majority of the American culture is built around the ideal of being movie star gorgeous, people spend tons of money to be thin, cut, have luxurious hair, atkins diets etc etc and put the beautiful people on pedestals then when a candidate comes along who fits the ideal that America is so preoccupied with, they don't trust him for fitting it.

WTF?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 07:30 am
Just speaking for myself, bear. Not America.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 07:38 am
eoe wrote:
Just speaking for myself, bear. Not America.

just messing hon
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 12:26 pm
okay.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 06:42 pm
Click and scroll down to find "brief excerpts that were released in advance of [Kerry's] acceptance speech" - some good-sounding stuff! Sounds like quite a daring speech for Kerry! See if he can deliver it right ...

(ahem) EDITED to add the bleedin' LINK ... Embarrassed
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 06:50 pm
Smile you forgot the link the first time? heehee
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 07:01 pm
Thanks anyway NIMH, but I prefer to go in fresh. So far, be boring so Kerry looks Great seems to still be the strategy. I've seldom been encouraged to turn my head to the TV so far tonight.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 07:04 pm
i forget such stuff all the time ... always going back and editing my posts to make 'em OK! Embarrassed
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 07:05 pm
I do too, which is why I was amused Wink
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 09:40 pm
I was impressed!

I get the stuff about his diction now. That is off-putting. And he got a li'l sweaty -- I was worried about something Nixonian about halfway through, but it seemed to hold at a certain point. (Evaporation? Looked hot up there. I saw Edwards' little daughter say so last night.)

LOVED "reporting for duty." Got me all misty. (Yes, I'm just a total sap.) Really liked the part about looking parents in the eye:

Quote:
As President, I will wage this war with the lessons I learned in war. Before you go to battle, you have to be able to look a parent in the eye and truthfully say: "I tried everything possible to avoid sending your son or daughter into harm's way. But we had no choice. We had to protect the American people, fundamental American values from a threat that was real and imminent." So lesson one, this is the only justification for going to war.

And on my first day in office, I will send a message to every man and woman in our armed forces: You will never be asked to fight a war without a plan to win the peace.

Was it daring, nimh? Your link now is to a current report, what he did actually say, so not sure which parts you were referring to.

This was good:

Quote:
I want an America that relies on its own ingenuity and innovation - not the Saudi royal family.

What'd you think, O'Bill? Really curious about what you and Phoenix, in particular, thought about it -- if he addressed your concerns re: security. With stuff like this:

Quote:
I defended this country as a young man and I will defend it as President. Let there be no mistake: I will never hesitate to use force when it is required. Any attack will be met with a swift and certain response. I will never give any nation or international institution a veto over our national security. And I will build a stronger American military.

(Went looking for the looking parents in the eye quote, found this in nimh's link, will stop quoting from it and just give the transcript link):

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5552784/

Overall, I'd say job well done. I'm hopeful.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 10:11 pm
Honestly? I thought Max tore it up and the large group of Veterans behind him demanded recognition. Slick's "John Kerry said 'send me'" was still reverberating (believe it or not), and I intentionally tried to give Kerry my entire attention and I tried to like him (worked on eating vegetables). It didn't work.

I thought he bombed. When panning through the audience there in the middle they seemed to be just going through the motions. Maybe they were exhausted by now... but I'm not buying that. (If Bill would stepped out again they'd have lost their minds again.) Further, I thought he had lying eyes (makes 2 for 2, Bush does too) I saw equal conviction for every promise and that isn't natural. Part of what makes Clinton the bomb by the way... he even alters that. Shocked Overall I just don't believe him.

As to your specific questions, Soz, I don't think he'd be ready to attack until France was anyway, so I don't think Vetoes would be an issue. As you know, I think we need to take the fight to the Mass Murderers of the World and Kerry made it quite clear he wouldn't do that. Bush is a dope, but a dope I'm going to have to vote for. Sorry.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 10:21 pm
If you've stuck with the convention coverage you will be watching the Boston Pops fireworks celebration.

I may have imagined it but I swear that John Williams opened the performance leading the Pops in a piece that had as it's theme La Marseillaise!

Someone involved has a great sense of humor, or Williams is hard core Republican.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 10:49 pm
Oh ya, and I wonder how much flack he'll take for his daughter reliving his gallant CPR on a hamster. Shocked
They are replaying on C-SPAN if anyone who missed wishes they hadn't (the whole thing, not just the hamster part Laughing )
(Seemed a bit over the top, that)
0 Replies

smog

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 11:31 pm
I talked to my mother earlier tonight about Kerry's daughters and their speeches. She wisely said: "Oh wow, the Republicans are worried now, since this means that Bush's daughters are going to have to speak."
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 03:08 am
sozobe wrote:
Was it daring, nimh? Your link now is to a current report, what he did actually say, so not sure which parts you were referring to.

Hm - just quickly browsing through the full transcript - sounds distinctly less bold than the excerpts had done. I didnt save or quote 'em, so I cant compare, but I remember a lot of short, tough phrases on war and terrorism that sounded very hawkish - and hawkish like he believed in it, not just going through the motions. I thought that was pretty daring, risking both the anti-war Democrats' disapproval and the Republicans' ridicule (who would I think have been put off balance by that bold an attempt to put himself practically to the right of Bush on the war on terror) - but I cant really find it back.

Its probably still all in there (the transcript is the pre-prepared one after all), its all in context and placement I guess. For example, this sentence, as it was quoted beforehand in isolation, sounds almost Bushesque:

Quote:
My fellow Americans, this is the most important election of our lifetime. The stakes are high. We are a nation at war - a global war on terror against an enemy unlike any we have ever known before.

But in actuality, in the transcript he straight away bunches it into one paragraph with a follow-up sentence that quickly distracts attention back to home affairs and appears to be equating the various things as all equally important: "And here at home, wages are falling, health care costs are rising, and our great middle class is shrinking. People are working weekends; they're working two jobs, three jobs, and they're still not getting ahead."

Now you may agree with this take, but it does change how the first sentence comes across, totally. Same here - if you would only get this:

Quote:
with confidence and determination, we will be able to tell the terrorists: You will lose and we will win. The future doesn't belong to fear; it belongs to freedom.

It sounds pretty powerful. Squeezed in between paragraphs about "a global effort against nuclear proliferation" and how we "need a strong military and we need to lead strong alliances", however, it doesnt quite evoke the same sense of a determined winner - more that of a sensible wonk. In practice I much prefer the latter in charge, but I dont think it impresses the electorate as much. With sentences like,

Quote:
As President, I will fight a smarter, more effective war on terror. We will deploy every tool in our arsenal: our economic as well as our military might; our principles as well as our firepower

he makes a good argument, but at the same time he makes the "war on terror" sound like a question of, you know, efficiency rather than ... war. Reminds me a little bit of people who, when the crisis and impoverishment of health care is discussed, say its all just a question of allocating resources more effectively. I dunno. I mean, he is absolutely right, but I doubt an approach that makes it sound like the fight against terrorists will be won if we're just a little "smarter" about it - rather than one that emphasises the starkness of facing an enemy that considers attacking you a holy duty ready to die for, will persuade many of the Phoenixes of your country.

Not to say that he hasnt got some great lines there. I like this one a lot:

Quote:
We need to make America once again a beacon in the world. We need to be looked up to and not just feared.

And this one, though I doubt for all the above reasons that it will resonate with anyone who wasnt a multilateralist already, does make his (our) point as concisely as it can be made:

Quote:
And we need to rebuild our alliances, so we can get the terrorists before they get us.

Its just I have this feeling that the O'Bills and Phoenixes of America would have wanted him to reassure you that he would do whatever it takes and go out to "get the terrorists", whether or not you in the end succeed in patching up all the alliances in time.

I do think he could have been more agressive still. For example, this paragraph is pretty damn good, despite the distinctly false note of "misunderstood brilliance" self-pity it starts out off:

Quote:
Now I know there are those who criticize me for seeing complexities - and I do - because some issues just aren't all that simple. Saying there are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq doesn't make it so. Saying we can fight a war on the cheap doesn't make it so. And proclaiming mission accomplished certainly doesn't make it so.

Now I would finish it off with, I dunno (what do I know) - something like, "Mr President: you did not accomplish your mission. I pledge here that I will accomplish the mission America now faces - I will not be distracted." Or something, whatever. But instead he got distracted into wonkish policy focus, "reform the intelligence system", and wordplay: "so policy is guided by facts, and facts are never distorted by politics". Hm. He does finish it off well in the end tho - this is pretty good:

Quote:
as President, I will bring back this nation's time-honored tradition: the United States of America never goes to war because we want to, we only go to war because we have to.

And this is definitely a bold and brutal enough summary of things:

Quote:
I will be a commander in chief who will never mislead us into war. I will have a Vice President who will not conduct secret meetings with polluters to rewrite our environmental laws. I will have a Secretary of Defense who will listen to the best advice of our military leaders. And I will appoint an Attorney General who actually upholds the Constitution of the United States.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 06:18 am
4 months in Vietnam, 17 years in the senate. Why does his Vietnam service keep getting so much attention?
0 Replies