Turn on the Republican convention right now! Bush Sr.'s on!

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 10:43 pm
When Bill thanked the people in Arkansas for making it possible for him to become President… did he mean by not re-electing him there? Laughing
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 10:44 pm
Clinton tore that **** up.

He is just such a good speaker and great to watch. If I had my way, he would be on every night of the convention, because I wouldn't get sick of him

Sorry for the simplistic response, but I really don't think that there is much more to add. He's damn good.

And Piffka, it would be amazing if Clinton were given a Cabinet position.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 11:05 pm
I wasn't able to catch the live speeches of Carter and Gore, but if the excerpts are representative, Carter was surprisingly harsh. I don't doubt that he sincerely believes all that he said, but that hardly makes it so.

Gore remains frozen in the year 2000, and the quality of his speech tonight was reminiscent of prior feeble efforts that helped snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Hillary's speech was, at best, forgettable. One would think that after spending so much time with Bill, some of his rhetorical brilliance would have rubbed off on her. Why hasn't one of her aids explained that strained braying is not suggestive of gravitas? For all her lobbying to get on the podium, she would have been better off getting face time through interviews on the floor. She's much better in an interview than at the podium.

Say what you will about Bill Clinton, he is an exceptionally good speaker. One of the best. Its a shame that all of that talent was enervated by low character. I thought his use of the pronoun "they" was interesting. Who did he mean by "they?" Not Bush and his administration. Republicans? Conservatives? Unifying rhetoric, no?
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 12:07 am
also Bill and Hillary Clintons speech summary

Quote:
oters face a stark choice between a Democratic vision of opportunity at home and cooperation abroad versus a Republican vision that is narrow and "far to the right of most Americans," former President Bill Clinton said Monday at the Democratic National Convention.

"We've got to choose for president between two strong men who both love their countries: Our nominee, John Kerry, who favors shared responsibility, shared opportunity and more global cooperation, and their president and their party in Congress, who favor concentrated wealth and power -- leaving people to fend for themselves -- and more unilateral action."

Clinton was the headliner on opening night of the convention at Boston's FleetCenter, where Democratic delegates are gathering this week to nominate Kerry and his vice presidential running mate, Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina.

The former president was introduced by his wife, New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, who gave Kerry a ringing endorsement as "the man we need to be our president and commander-in-chief."

"John Kerry is a serious man for a serious job in a serious time in our country's history," she said. "I am very optimistic about this election because I think I know a great leader when I see one."

In his remarks, the former president brought delegates to their feet for nine standing ovations, contrasting the policies he followed during eight years in the White House with those of his successor, Bush, on the economy, tax cuts, crime, the budget deficit, international cooperation and security.

With polls showing that Americans give Bush higher marks than Kerry on handling terrorism and national security, both Clintons pointedly sought to bolster the credentials of the Democratic ticket in those areas.

"Their opponents will tell you we should be afraid of John Kerry and John Edwards because they won't stand up to terrorists. Don't you believe it," Bill Clinton said. "Strength and wisdom are not opposing values."

Although direct attacks on President Bush were the exception rather than the rule, strong criticism was occasionally on display.

"What a difference these few months of extremism have made," former President Jimmy Carter said during a speech in which he never uttered the president's name.

"The United States has alienated its allies, dismayed its friends and inadvertently gratified its enemies by proclaiming a confused and disturbing strategy of pre-emptive war.

"In the world at large, we cannot lead if our leaders mislead," Carter said, to thunderous applause.

"Truth is the foundation of our global leadership, but our credibility has been shattered, and we are left increasingly isolated and vulnerable in a hostile world."

Carter talked of serving as a Navy officer under two wartime presidents, Harry Truman and Dwight Eisenhower, who knew the "horrors of war" and "exercised restraint and judgment and had a clear sense of mission."

He said Kerry, also a Navy veteran, would be a president like them.

"I am confident that next January he will restore the judgment and responsibility that is sorely lacking today," Carter said. "I am willing to follow him to victory in November."
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 02:07 am
Quote:

kuvasz wrote:
does anyone really think that had carter bombed tehran to ruble in late 1979 or early 1980 he would not have beaten reagan in 1980? carter could have ensured his re-election simply by having the american air force bomb the ever living crap out of iran and kill tens of thousands, and probably too the 55 hostages. the american people wanted him to. but he but chose to use less destructive methods. even then, had the helicopters gotten the hostages out instead of hitting that sand storm in the northern deserts of iran, carter would have declared a genius and beaten reagan.

3 things here.
1) You are suggesting as our elected representative he did a good job in part because he chose not to follow the will of the people he was representing.

Surely others, usually those teaching junior high school civics classes, have pointed it out to you; we live in a representative democracy, not a pure form of one. Those for whom we vote make the decisions of government. However, if we follow your logic, perhaps since the majority of Americans think we were wrong to invade Iraq, Bush should follow popular opinion and remove US troops. What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, don't you think?

Is that a clear enough analogy? Would you like others?

Quote:

kuvasz wrote:
and before we talk about the economy under carter, just remember who he picked for the fed head and what volker did and at what it contributed to carter's re-election defeat. volker's necessary tight money belt monetary policies in 79-80 created the wave reagan's economic boon rode upon

Volker's tight monetary policies ratcheted down inflation at the same time it made business growth difficult. Once rampant inflation was squeezed out of the economy by late 1981- early 1982, the US economy was ready for growth again. This as much as anything led to the alleged Reagan growth spurt of the mid 1980's. Of course, a massive investment of government funding into weapons programs helped employment too.

Wars or arming for them have a way of promoting full employment.

It helps to know that Reagan's initial tax cut proposals of 1981 were promoted as economic stimulus packages that would affect the economy within a year. Yet, that was just a lie (we have David Stockman's word on that, and he was the head of OMB under Reagan), However, when one looks at the tax revenues in subsequent years, the tax cuts did little to stimulate the economy immediately and tax revenues, adjusted for inflation did not return to 1982 levels for 4 years. So much for the theoretical basis for the Reagan tax cuts. So much for Reagan's economic legacy. It was as phony as his hair dye.

However, Reagan's supply-side economics did cripple the government's capacity to function to the extent that taxes had to be raised in Reagan's second term. You did know that Reagan actually raised taxes more than Clinton did? In fact, so did Bush the greater. Bet you Faux News rarely mentions that little tidbit.

Quote:
Interesting thought... Whose policies do you credit the boom of the 90s to then?
Quote:

kuvasz wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
How does the very man who negotiated the "agreed framework" have the courage to bring up North Korea's nuclear weapons? This guy is blaming Bush for a problem he himself created. Whose idea was it to have the former President with the worst foreign policy in history stand up to endorse Kerry anyway? Will this help? By the way, I'm well aware the man is a Saint of a human being and always means well, but come on.

but, really?

the guy who brought 90 million egyptian muslims and 15 million israelis peacably together, after them having fought 3 bitter wars within 25 years has no seat at the table or is denied as a legitimate commentary voice when international diplomacy is the most important feature in the american tool-belt to secure the safety of americans.

I was referring to Carter, not Clinton. However, while you are on the subject, of rewriting history for ideological satisfaction; immediately after assuming office Bush the lesser communicated to the NKs that he was reneging on the food/aid for no-nukes agreement with NK. After this, the NKs embarked upon restarting their breeder reactor to get Bush the lesser back to the negotiating table. According to some estimates by the CIA, the NKs might have had one or two hidden nukes prior to 2001, now, in the 3 years since Bush the lesser walked away from negotiations with NK, the NK breeder reactors have produced enough fuel to produce scores of nukes.

That is what you refer to as advancing US goals under the Bush the lesser administration; that after over 3 years of the Bush the lesser's administration screwing around we are in a worse situation vis a vis the NK nukes than we were in 2001 when Bush the lesser took office. But that is lost on you because Carter/Clinton were negotiating with "a known mass-murderer"

Hello, Mcfly!?! What would you prefer your crazed enemy to have in his hands, two, or twenty nukes?

Quote:
What precisely does that have to do with the disaster of the "agreed framework"? He, without authority, negotiated a deal with a suspected terrorist, a known mass-murderer where we provide a windfall of economic aide in exchange for Kim not building the bomb, which he quite predictably did anyway.

Blah, blah, blah. Having a senior moment are we? The US negotiates with mass murders all the time when it is in their interests. Two words to remind you of this, Saddam Hussein....and Grandpa George Prescott Bush negotiated deals with the Third Reich even after Hitler declared war on America, so this sort of thing is an obvious genetic trait in a Bush, greater, or lesser

BTW: Nixon negotiated economic agreements with greater mass murderers in Chou En-lai and Mao of China, and he did it secretly. However, since Nixon is a Republican he gets a pass or worse, and is not used as any type of baseline for presidential action in negotiations with adversaries.

Quote:

This lovely, benevolent, peaceful solution allowed Kim to strengthen his position while MILLIONS of North Koreans paid the ultimate price. MILLIONS. Are dead people from other countries less important than dead American Soldiers?
Quote:

Sorry, I don't think this is spinable. Carter's diplomacy with the monster Kim was a very, very predictable disaster.
kuvasz wrote:
as to carter's title of worst president for foreign policy, i would submit that many of the 900 dead american soldiers and 9,000 injured americans who were lucky enough to be in the armed forces under bush the lesser might disagree.

And upon such a silly submission, I think I'm going to back off and give you an opportunity do the same... see if you're really interested in pursuing this debate. I noticed this is the second thread I've peeked your interest on today... but I still want to make sure.

No, you referred to Carter as the president "with the worst foreign policy in history" and used the NK negotiations as prima fascia evidence of it. Did anyone die from these negotiations? Were the efforts of the NKs for nukes slowed by such negotiations or not? What alternative actions were you proposing back in 1979 about how to deal with North Korea? Nuclear warfare? Invasion of the North Korea? That would be interesting since North Korea then bordered on the Soviet Union and China, and both would have naturally acceded to US wishes to stay out of any fight between the US and NK. Ya' think? Was that your great alternative plan you had back then?

Quote:
I noticed this is the second thread I've peeked your interest on today... but I still want to make sure.

Oh Bill, I can only imagine the heartbreak, but please, don't flatter yourself. You haven't peaked my interest other than to remind me of what John Stuart Mill once said….."All conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative."
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 02:16 am
Spot on assessment Finn… Especially the way you pegged Gore. Laughing I don't know your up and down schedule, but they'll be replaying the speeches on c-span until it opens again.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 05:04 am
Wow! And then Patti LaBelle follws by singing Change Gonna Come.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 05:22 am
Smile
The republican commentators are the comedic highlight, IMO.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 08:15 am
God I could just French-kiss you, kuvasz...
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 08:33 am
I listen to Clinton's speech on the car radio (NPR) and after there was commentary by the editor of the Weekly Standard (I forget his name). He called it a "barn burner", he was quite impressed. When Clinton gets that kind of complement from that quarter, you know he's delivered an effective speech. I think it was the best he's ever made.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 09:05 am
I just got TV again after almost a year.

I watched two episodes of "Trading Spaces" (yippee!) and then as much of the convention as I could fit in. (That's it so far.) Richardson (I like that guy -- "The democrats embraced Gore and he, in turn, embraced Tipper), saw Gore (did a good job), saw Tipper's nipples Shocked, saw Stephanie Tubbs since she was in Tammy's time slot (not bad, too self-conscious), saw Tammy (love Tammy, met her, helped elect her, annoyed that she was coralled to health care and could only touch on gay/ lesbian issues by meaningfully saying "domestic partners" [cut to cheering gay delegates]) saw Hillary (not bad at all) and saw... sigh... Bill.

God-DAMN but he's good.

Television is a powerful medium and I've watched nothing adult for a year, so I'm going to blame that in part, but I was sitting there with tears rolling down my cheeks. Literally cheered ("yeah!!", arms raised) at the "not opposing values" thing. Shook my head in admiration at "Send me!", and the reprise at the end.

I'm SO looking forward to seeing Kerry and Edwards -- aside from a couple of online ad clips, I haven't seen them in action 'tall.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 09:16 am
bookmark (no TV)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 09:34 am
Oh and I thought the thing about "my tax cut" was absolutely masterful. It's the kind of thing he can do when he's not trying to get elected, himself. But he really nicely took antagonism towards him, towards Washington insiders (which, again, is a large part of how Bush was elected IMO) and in a sort of judo-esque move used it against Bush.

Quote:

I also loved loved loved the united/ divided part:

Quote:
But Americans long to be united. After 9/11, we all wanted to be one nation, strong in the fight against terror. The president had a great opportunity to bring us together under his slogan of compassionate conservatism and to unite the world in common cause against terror.

Instead, he and his congressional allies made a very different choice: to use the moment of unity to push America too far to the right and to walk away from our allies, not only in attacking Iraq before the weapons inspectors finished their jobs, but in withdrawing American support for the Climate Change Treaty, the International Court for war criminals, the ABM treaty, and even the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty.

Geez, a lot is in the delivery, isn't it? I read the transcript and say, yep, I agree, but SEEING him say it was much different.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 09:50 am
Soz I remarked to squinney that old Tipper was on high beam last night....I guess power really is the best aphrodisiac.....
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:01 am
Curious as to why the Bush loyalist are so interested in the Democrats Convention. With all the vigor in which they seem eager to comment you would think they had never seen or heard of a Convention.

Then you have to wonder why all they drooling, are they claiming they will only pay attention to the Democrats but won't watch a moment of the Republicans convention? Are they just so pee in your pants wound up over Clinton speaking because they know everytime he does he shames Bush?

What is it that drives the Bush Loyalist wackos into such a frenzy that they would try and turn something as benign as watching a political convention ( we are in a political message board that suggests that people are informed in politics thus would watch something like a convention) into a meager, and pathetic attempt to start some kind of insult war?

You really have nothing better to do? besides I read that Bush fell off his bike yet again. Aren't their pity parties and liberals did parties to plan and give?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:18 am
Kuvasz, that was pretty impressive and I'll respond when I'm done catching up with my reading, as time allows. One quick comment though; Damn! Shocked

Sozobe, I don't think it was the lack of TV time that did it for you. I watch Bill a second time after I went to bed and it was just as impressive the second time.

Redheat, who are you referring to? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 11:24 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Kuvasz, that was pretty impressive and I'll respond when I'm done catching up with my reading, as time allows. One quick comment though; Damn! Shocked

Sozobe, I don't think it was the lack of TV time that did it for you. I watch Bill a second time after I went to bed and it was just as impressive the second time.

Redheat, who are you referring to? Rolling Eyes

Geez I don't know Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 11:30 am
Obviously not O'Bill though, right? (He's NOT a "Bush loyalist".)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 12:14 pm
Redheat wrote:
Curious as to why the Bush loyalist are so interested in the Democrats Convention.

Probably just because we're all political junkies of sorts here, Bush loyalists and ABB's alike ...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 12:36 pm
soz, Clinton not only has the visual but some of the best oratory skills in modern politics. He has the Martin Luther King cyclic hypnotism going on.

IMO, the most powerful arsenal in his toolshed, his rythymic speech.
0 Replies