Turn on the Republican convention right now! Bush Sr.'s on!

McGentrix

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 12:40 pm
Oh, yeah. Even I liked Clinton's speech last night.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 12:43 pm
Whoa! Wha'd you like about it, McG?

Thanks for the reprint, Soz!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:01 pm
Cool, I wasn't sure he'd ever find the fish heads...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:07 pm
I actually know about the oratory thing, if I have captions I can hear it -- watch him, see the captions, put it together.

He does it with his body and his punctuation, too -- he starts out with smaller movements, they circle around and build a rhythm, bigger ones, circle around, then big point and wham!

He has this amazing ability to declaim as if he just thought of the words that minute -- I know he often goes off script, so that's not always untrue, but even when he is sticking exactly to script, all of his micro-expressions and cues are, "This is what I am thinking, right now." That's extremely rare in politicians, extremely rare for ANYONE (including actors) who need to memorize their lines.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:14 pm
Sozobe wrote:
Oh and I thought the thing about "my tax cut" was absolutely masterful. It's the kind of thing he can do when he's not trying to get elected, himself.

Yep -- and the same applies to this part of his speech: "During the Vietnam war, many young men, including the current president, the current vice president, and me (emphasis Clinton's -- that's what made it so brilliant in the first place), could have gone to Vietnam and didn't. John Kerry came from a privileged background, he could have avoided going too. But instead he said: 'Send me!'" (Continues with a riff about how the theme "Send me!" pervades Kerry's biography, culminating in the pledge to "send him!", John Kerry, to the White House.)

Finally, after every Republican commentator predicted Clinton would only promote himself, and even the Democratic organizers expected him to talk too much, he finished his speech precisely in time. I don't think the delegates noticed it much but it showed the rank-and-file Democrats how serious he is about promoting John Kerry.

I so wish Bill Clinton could have a third term.

PS to nimh: Have you tried watching it on www.c-span.org? That's what I did, and it works great for me.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:20 pm
sozobe wrote:
I actually know about the oratory thing, if I have captions I can hear it -- watch him, see the captions, put it together.

He does it with his body and his punctuation, too -- he starts out with smaller movements, they circle around and build a rhythm, bigger ones, circle around, then big point and wham!

But what I'm talking about is specifically oscillating tone (as in pitch etc). Not the emphasis per se but a pervading (throughout all speech, not just used for punctuation) undulating tone that doesn't really serve to emphasise so much as lend a melodic and hypnotic quality.

I'm not sure if that got through with captions (my experience with captioning is limited).

BTW, I've been meaning to tell you that the operator thing worked, I just got it late because of stuff on my end.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:20 pm
I watched it on HDNet. Nothing but pure boredom with a really, really good picture.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:21 pm
CDK, that singsong delivery is like nails on a chalkboard to some of us.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:45 pm
Yep, he's the whole package when it comes to sales. He brilliantly uses his intellect, body movements, facial expressions, altering pitches and volumes, perfect silences, flows between aggression and benevolence, humor and sadness, touches on every emotion really and leaves you awed by his performance...

The guy could sell you a Yugo for $20,000 and you'd be thrilled until the spell wore off.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 01:59 pm
cjhsa wrote:

Michael Jordan's jumpshot was like nails on chalk to some Knicks fans. <shrug>

Wasn't really the skill per se but the wrong team part.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 02:01 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

perfectly stated. bullseye!!!!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 02:02 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

perfectly stated. bullseye!!!!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 02:12 pm
Kuvasz, I remain interested in debating North Korea, etc with you, and answering your questions, but don't wish to hijack this thread... Do you mind if I quote us both in a new one? I think this one should stay on topic for as long as possible.

Did I just hear an audible sigh of relief? Shocked
0 Replies

Redheat

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 02:26 pm
nimh wrote:
Redheat wrote:
Curious as to why the Bush loyalist are so interested in the Democrats Convention.

Probably just because we're all political junkies of sorts here, Bush loyalists and ABB's alike ...

Sorry but no I don't believe that's the case. Do you honestly think that most of the real right wingers are watching the Democratic Convention? A real political junkie isn't opening a thread by "Clinton's on now are you watching ,huh huh"
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 02:28 pm
Yes, they are. "Know your enemy" and all that. Besides, it's good entertainment.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 02:32 pm
Redheat wrote:
A real political junkie isn't opening a thread by "Clinton's on now are you watching ,huh huh"

No, but he might open one called "Turn on the Democratic convention right now! Clinton's on!" ...

You really think that many of the regular liberal visitors to the A2K political boards wont be tuning in to see some of the Republican convention next month? Course they will. Might even start a thread about it ...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 02:36 pm
nimh,

Het is interessanter om met haar akkoord te gaan. Tevreden stellen in samenzwering is meer pret dan wijzend op paranoia.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 02:39 pm
U zou niet in foriegntalen moeten schrijven. Het is niet eerlijk.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 02:42 pm
Maar het is tevredenstellend en zeer samenzweerderig.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 02:44 pm
Stop that! English only.
0 Replies