Turn on the Republican convention right now! Bush Sr.'s on!

McGentrix

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 02:47 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Maar het is tevredenstellend en zeer samenzweerderig.

Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 02:49 pm
LOL you guys!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 03:23 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Maar het is tevredenstellend en zeer samenzweerderig.
Laughing
Maar de vertaling veroorzaakt pijn in billen voor ons onwetende dwazen
die het geen Nederlands spreken.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 03:43 pm
Iedereen zet in het Nederlands om. De apocalyps is hier. Hey, dat zin duurt is volkomen begrijpelijk voor een Amerikaan.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 04:23 pm
De apocalyps is hier. Shocked
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 06:22 pm
Kennedy it on!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 08:34 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
sozobe wrote:
I actually know about the oratory thing, if I have captions I can hear it -- watch him, see the captions, put it together.

He does it with his body and his punctuation, too -- he starts out with smaller movements, they circle around and build a rhythm, bigger ones, circle around, then big point and wham!

But what I'm talking about is specifically oscillating tone (as in pitch etc). Not the emphasis per se but a pervading (throughout all speech, not just used for punctuation) undulating tone that doesn't really serve to emphasise so much as lend a melodic and hypnotic quality.

I'm not sure if that got through with captions (my experience with captioning is limited).

Captions alone don't do it, no, but I'm able to put the visual info together in such a way that I actually hear it -- it's all in my head, literally, but it's accurate. (I've described tone/pitch kinds of things to hearing people who say I got it exactly right.) I still don't know what I hear and what I think I hear -- a recent victim was the garbage disposal in the sink. I really thought I could hear it -- turned it on, "vrroooom", but then I accidentally left it on and had no idea until I tried to turn it on... and it was already on. Shocked My brain was creating the sound from whole cloth. (Turn the switch, there's a sound...)

Anyway, while they certainly interact, I was talking about the body language et al separately from the tone/ pitch aspect.

Quote:
BTW, I've been meaning to tell you that the operator thing worked, I just got it late because of stuff on my end.

Cool!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 08:34 pm
That kid tore it up.

So did Obama, who the hell is that? He'll be back.

Dean was pretty classy but I was so hoping he'd scream... he looked like he was going to and thought better of it. I disagree. He should wear that energy like a badge of honor and let people laugh at him.

Ron Reagan was very classy. Anyone who complains about his actions wasn't listening.

Kennedy still belongs in jail, nuff said.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 08:36 pm
I only saw Obama tonight. He did great!

Positivity, man.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 08:41 pm
I loved the United States of America thing Obama did, especially the part about and yes, some people in the red states have gay friends. :-)

Tell me about the kid... (Ilana Wexler?)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 08:55 pm
Yep. Sounded much better than Heinz does right now. I was playing poker at the time so I wasn't paying to close of attention, but I detected serious speaking talent and so did the crowd. Sorry I can't be more specific. c-span will show re-runs all night long btw.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 10:34 pm
Obama's speech makes me want to claim citizenship in Illinois to vote for him, but my vote is probably more needed for the presidential election in my home state (where I still have citizenship), which will be a heated contest.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 06:11 am
Obama was on the Daily Show a good 6-8 months ago. He is a very charismatic gentleman. He also seems to have his head screwed on straight and will make a good politician.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 06:16 am
I've seen his campaign in Illinois, and I must say, he knows what he is doing. He makes me excited for the future.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 08:14 am
McGentrix wrote:
Obama was on the Daily Show a good 6-8 months ago. He is a very charismatic gentleman. He also seems to have his head screwed on straight and will make a good politician.
I was listening while I played poker as opposed to watching. I thought I heard Tony Robbins speaking and when I turned and looked it was Obama. My instincts tell me that is no coincidence. Did I imagine that completely, or is there similarity between the two?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 08:08 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Bill Clinton is simply a brilliant speaker.

He may be a closer, but I think they put him the first night because Kerry will almost certainly be upstaged by his performance.
I'm now certain you nailed that dead on. It appears so far the strategy tonight is to line up a bunch boring folks in hopes that Edwards and Kerry will shine above them.

Don't freak out Redheat. That's not a slam. It means Obama, Kennedy and even that little kid last night sounded better than dopes like Bob Graham have tonight. Living in Florida, I will slam that idiot for announcing where, specifically our weaknesses are to terrorists on live television. I do hope the terrorists weren't listening.

Clinton is still reverberating in my head. That may have been his finest performance.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 08:14 pm
Or it might have been too keep Bill away from Edwards' daughter. Laughing (Monica thing going on)
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 08:18 pm
Edward's daughter looked like she stepped out of the 50's or maybe the Jetson's....
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 08:52 pm
Yeah, funny hairdo. But wow, can she speak! She didn't seem the least bit nervous.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 09:21 pm
Watching TV for 5 hours a night for 4 nights straight has been a hard sell to my less junkified husband, so I've had to pick and choose. Only saw Edwards tonight. He did great!

First time I've seen him in action. Like the accent! ("Hope is ahwwn the way!") He's good at the soundbite thing. I REALLY like how the dems are apparently making positivity their thing. Obama and Edwards, especially. (I think that was also part of what was going on with Clinton, let him say some of the negative things in his own inimitable way. A twofer -- people are watching, he says it really well ["Strength and wisdom..."], gets it out there, but allows the up and comers to claim the positivity mantle.)

Does he (Edwards) always have that mole/ wart thing over his lip or was that a mongo zit? It was really distracting for me.

But anyway...

He does the glittering, hope-filled eyes thing really really well, too. Good positioning of his parents, up and over the camera.

Aw-shucks smile is killer.

Liked the specifics offered in the speech, the imagery (woman paying bills, waiting for her husband in Iraq to come home.) LOVED "Hope is on the way", seems like he's done it before (they had signs and everything) but was new to me.

I'm pretty impressed overall.

Oh, and the race thing!! Almost forgot. That was really good. (Something about discussion of before which audiences, when and where it is appropriate to talk about racial issues; "Everywhere, everywhere, everywhere.")
0 Replies