Linda Ronstadt Booed off Stage at Vegas

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 07:48 pm
She has a large audience; the ones that love her will take the seats vacated by the Republicans.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 07:50 pm
Hi, nimh!! <smiles>

I was just sooooo proud of Linda Ronstadt.... when I saw it on the news, I was "YES!!!"

And, I have several of her CD's.... she's an awesome singer.....

PaL
:-)
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 04:47 am
revel wrote:
Harper,

I had to look up that word, "Bolero" and I still don't know what you mean. (If I didn't have my handy dandy pocket dictionary I would be lost around here Smile ) But anyway, revel is short for revelette which is maiden name. I always liked it so I use it on almost all message boards in one form or another.

I think he/she is both disturbing and disturbed.

Ravel's Bolero, it's a popular classical music compostitins.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 04:48 am
Linda Wins!!!!

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000582932

"After a day of negotiations, the prospective new owner of the venue, Robert Earl, Chairman and CEO of Planet Hollywood International, Inc., issued the following statement:

"We hope to be approved by the Nevada Gaming Commission to become the new owners of the Aladdin Resort in Las Vegas as early as September 1, 2004. Upon the assumption of ownership, and with a new management team in place, we would like to offer the use of the Theatre of Performing Arts to Linda Ronstadt for a second concert and further to take Michael Moore up on his offer to join her on stage to introduce her and sing a song."

"We respect artists' creativity and support their rights to express themselves," said Earl. "We were very sorry to hear about the unfortunate circumstances of this past Saturday night and want to make it clear that Planet Hollywood has never, in our 13 year history, restricted any artists' right to free speech and we will continue with that policy once we take ownership."
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 06:37 am
That is very good news, sort of restores my faith in the future of this country.

harper, I have never had very developed taste in music, but I may just do a google and try and find the one you mentioned.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 06:25 pm
revel wrote:
That is very good news, sort of restores my faith in the future of this country.

harper, I have never had very developed taste in music, but I may just do a google and try and find the one you mentioned.

Did you see the movie "10" Ravel's Bolero played during the love scene. If I recall the needle got stucked.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 11:50 pm
Deja vu all over again: Ronstadt's encore kerfluffle gets an encore
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 11:57 pm
So we're realistically down to "nearly a hundred." It's a joke, timber -- banging on this drum will relinquish only dissonance. Next "problem."
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 12:29 am
swolf wrote:
The article notes that half the audience walked out.

The article said no such thing. Putting the attendance of the theatre around 5000, the article said:
Quote:
Hundreds of angry fans streamed from the theater as Ronstadt sang.

That's "hundreds" out of 5000. If it was anywhere near half, the article would have read "thousands". You are really off the mark here.

swolf wrote:
The rest of the article indicates that Ronstadt's singing career is pretty much over unless she manages to get her head back together.

Actually, no. The article says she gave a flat performance, according to the reviewer. That doesn't mean her career is over.

Swolf, you seem to have an ability to read what you wish to read, regardless of what is actually on the screen before you.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 12:42 am
swolf wrote:

Sounds like she'll be performing in front of a lot of empty seats...

Her career is hardly in trouble over this, much as you would love to have it otherwise. The new owners' invitation to return makes that clear.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 06:44 am
Ahhh. WTH, LW ... I figure folks are makin' a lot "Moore" Rolling Eyes than is really there. I suspect both Linda "Silk Puse" Ronstadt and Michael "Sows Ear" Moore (sorry - dunno what's come over me - I find it difficult to take this very seriously :wink: ) are enjoyin' hell outta the publicity.

One thing's for sure, Ronstadt hasn't been the focus of this sort of column-inches or air mention in a generation or so. I really haven't checked, but I'd be unsurprised to learn her album sales have ticked up a bit. I expect if her management was worried, she'd have put a lid on it, which obviously hasn't happened.

Crafty critters, them showbiz folk.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 06:50 am
My favourite Linda Ronstadt tune is the Spanish version of the Plow King theme she wrote for Barney on The Simpsons.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 06:53 am
Linda is just doing the leftist whore version of Dennis Miller and Ted Nugent.....that's showbiz and it's not the exclusive domain of the left........at least Linda has been consistently anti war and not transformed to a hawk after becoming too old to be called up......

she's invited back to the Alladin, 100 people cancelling out of 5000 is no big deal.....if you will recall, the Dixie Chicks, after having their careers "ruined" sold out their next tour to the point you couldn't even get a ticket from a scalper.

When Tipper Gore singled out Aerosmith as purveyers of smut their sales went through the roof

every time you decent God fearing patriots get your panties in a twist it coins money for the people you're crowing about "destroying".......

keep up the good work......
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 07:03 am
swolf what a interesting pic seems like the earth goddess is everywhere these days.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 08:31 am
timberlandko wrote:
Ahhh. WTH, LW ... I figure folks are makin' a lot "Moore" Rolling Eyes than is really there. I suspect both Linda "Silk Puse" Ronstadt and Michael "Sows Ear" Moore (sorry - dunno what's come over me - I find it difficult to take this very seriously :wink: ) are enjoyin' hell outta the publicity......

....Crafty critters, them showbiz folk.

LOL, nice attempt at a recovery for your side. A great attempt, actually. But no dice. This is a loss for the Iraq side.

The whole purpose of Swolf's starting of this thread is to characterize those who oppose the war as a fringe, and those who support it as the "real Americans". His intention is establish the people who hollered, screamed, and destroyed property as normal people making a normal reaction to a simply outrageous provocation-the dedication of a song to Michael Moore, with a few extra kind words about him thrown in. {I wonder how long the whole dedication bit lasted-maybe 45 seconds?).

Since the people who did this were acting as normal people would, so the scam goes, the responsiblity for the ruckus lies with the entertainer for committing such an an outrageous act as a song dedication to Michael Moore. Therefore, from a purely "business" sense, it behooves concert venues in the future to avoid dealing with such "fringe" elements when the audience is full of "normal" Americans.

In other words:
anti-Iraq = Fringe
pro-Iraq = Normal

Indeed, if the Aladdin's shabby treatment of Linda Ronstadt had been accepted by the public in general, this would have been a blow for that kind of thinking.

Unfortunately, it backfired. The new management comes in in September, Ronstadt and Moore both get to put on a well-publiized show after that, and it becomes a triumph for the anti-Iraq side in the public perception.

May I hazard a guess that this Ronstadt/Moore appearance will occur sometime before the election? Laughing

I wonder how happy Swolf is that he started this thread now? Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 08:55 am
kelticwizard wrote:
LOL, nice attempt at a recovery for your side. A great attempt, actually. But no dice.

If you could point to a defense on my part of the audience behavior, or a condemnation of Ronstadt's, you'd have a point. As it is, to continue with the dice metaphore, you've just rolled snake eyes. But then that's the whole point; The Opposition is great at missing the point. That's what, over the past ten years, has brought about the current state of Democratic Party representation in The Oval Office, both Houses of Congress, Governor's Mansions, State Legislatures, and County and Municipal Governments. Keep up the good work. Its much appreciated. Take care, now, and see you in November Mr. Green
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 09:19 am
I'm having an epiphany -- timber is being so magnanimous this morning that all my plants in the room just wilted.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 09:23 am
timberlandko wrote:
If you could point to a defense on my part of the audience behavior, or a condemnation of Ronstadt's, you'd have a point.

You mean that wasn't you insinuating she was fat, on the first page of this very thread (complete with a photograph)?

I won't quote it, which will give you an opportunity to edit it if you choose, but I actually rather look forward to a War Prezdint-Peace Prezdint flip-flopping explanation of how that post isn't a condemnation.

BTW, I have seen pictures of you here in this very forum, and I don't think you have any room to criticize... :wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 10:03 am
Well, you can call that a condemnation if it suits ya, PDiddie ... I was just pointin' out the two of 'em had more than mere attitude in common Mr. Green

BTW ... sorta missed ya ... glad to see you're feelin' better :wink:
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 10:19 am
Thanks.

Forum seems to have been a bit sterile in my absence...
0 Replies