Linda Ronstadt Booed off Stage at Vegas

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 03:39 pm
Without rancor or meanness I think Condoleeza Rice is one of the most unattractive women in the history of female public figures......not that it effects her performance or she should be judged on her looks...she's useless regardless of her appearance IMO.....
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 03:40 pm
swolf wrote:
Harper wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Sadly, the malcontent trash who created a scene ruined the night for those Ronstadt fans who did attend.

I mentioned this once before and you've gone on repeating this mantra at least twice as if you never saw the explanation. There WAS a concert at Wolf Trap at which Ronstadt/Moore fans and normal people were about evenly divided and Ronstadt's comments DID create a division between the two groups at that performance. There was no mention of any noticable number of people taking Ronstadt's side at the event in Vegas.

Wrong, try reading the article I posted not the one that Fox distorted. The crowd was equally divided at the Aladdin too. A political comment is no excuse for boorish behaviour. Perahps it is in your world though. Do me a favor, if you ever see Harper on the marquee, please stay out!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 03:44 pm
swolf wrote:
All indications are that Ronstadt created a scene and ruined the evening for the people in attendance at that event (Vegas).

So they didn't want to see her? And why did they come?
Quote:
[...]
The vehement reaction to Ronstadt's comments comes as something as a surprise, as the singer had been dedicating the song to Moore each night of the tour. The singer has been outspoken about her liberal views throughout her career and had a very public relationship with then-California Governor Jerry Brown in the Seventies.

In an interview that ran in the Las Vegas Review-Journal the day before the show, Ronstadt said that the reaction to her nightly Moore dedications had been mixed. "They say the country is evenly divided, and boy is that true," she said. "One half of the audience cheers and the other half boos."
[...]
source: RollingStone.com
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 03:44 pm
swolf wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
There WAS a concert at Wolf Trap at which Ronstadt/Moore fans and normal people were about evenly divided

Wowie, zowie!!! Why am I bothering responding to someone who possesses such a thought process!
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 03:46 pm
Walter, people who go to hotel shows go to see "a show." They don't go there specifically to see any given performer. (Generally) But some people are too dim to understand the distinction.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 03:57 pm
I understand that Milosevic just made a plea bargain to get out of prison. In return for a full confession of his war crimes, he has agreed to perform in Vegas, dressed in full drag, with Linda Ronstadt. For those who feel her weight gain is obscene, perhaps they also feel that staying on cocaine would have been better for her figure.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 04:02 pm
Harper wrote:
swolf wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
There WAS a concert at Wolf Trap at which Ronstadt/Moore fans and normal people were about evenly divided

Wowie, zowie!!! Why am I bothering responding to someone who possesses such a thought process!

He's from the Adirondacks dear. Bigfoot lives there.
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 04:25 pm
Harper wrote:
swolf wrote:
Harper wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Sadly, the malcontent trash who created a scene ruined the night for those Ronstadt fans who did attend.

I mentioned this once before and you've gone on repeating this mantra at least twice as if you never saw the explanation. There WAS a concert at Wolf Trap at which Ronstadt/Moore fans and normal people were about evenly divided and Ronstadt's comments DID create a division between the two groups at that performance. There was no mention of any noticable number of people taking Ronstadt's side at the event in Vegas.

Wrong, try reading the article I posted not the one that Fox distorted. The crowd was equally divided at the Aladdin too. A political comment is no excuse for boorish behaviour. Perahps it is in your world though. Do me a favor, if you ever see Harper on the marquee, please stay out!

The article I posted may be from Fox, but it's basically an AP newsfeed item, and it has no mention of anybody in the audience at Alladin's supporting Ronstadt. I do not see any sort of a second version of the story which you have posted on this thread nor any other version of the story on this thread.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 05:18 pm
Hold on just a minute. I did not say any of the things that I am being attributed to saying. Please fix your quotes people!

Harper and Swolf, if you are going to quote people, at least quote the correct people!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 05:40 pm
Quote:
Meanwhile, Ronstadt doesn't seem too phased by the incident. The next night, she performed an equally political concert in San Diego and, according to a newspaper report there, again heard a mix of boos when she dedicated "Desperado" to Moore. She also reportedly dedicated a version of Nat King Cole's "Straighten Up And Fly Right," to "the good folks at Enron, who brought you the California energy crisis."

http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2004/07/2010.cfm

The girl's having fun with this. Gotta appreciate that.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 05:50 pm
At least Ronstadt did her rant on American soil which, in my way of thinking, is somewhat more acceptable than doing it on foreign soil. Still, I would have been major pissed to have set down $30 or $40 bucks for a concert ticket and then got slapped in the face by a bunch of political rhetoric.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 06:00 pm
I think it is annoying when performers do this kind of stuff too, but I think the people in the crowd, if the Fox story is accurate, totally overreacted. Mountain/molehill.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 06:10 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Still, I would have been major pissed to have set down $30 or $40 bucks for a concert ticket and then got slapped in the face by a bunch of political rhetoric.

If $30 or $40 means that much to someone, you'd hope they'd know something about who they're going to see. Which, in this case, means knowing they're going to see someone who has been supporting centrist and left-of-centre causes for several decades. I know that I wouldn't throw my money away on a Toby Keith concert, because I know he'd piss me off.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 06:11 pm
Harper wrote:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002E5USG.01-A22XP0Z2W4YOLT.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

See, I told you she was once a babe.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 06:12 pm
<wolf whistle>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 06:14 pm
you should see her on the front page of michaelmoore.com. hot pants, roller skates - i'll always understand why my beau of the late 70's just craaaaaaaaved her.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 06:28 pm
Big deal. Whats in this story that anyone should get upset about? Linda's an artist, she's a singer - she's not a wage-slave like many of us, when she's on stage she can do pretty much anything she chooses to. If people dont like it, they can go to another concert next time. The hotel owner? Its his place - if he dont like the artist he hired or the way (s)he behaves, he can boot her and hire someone else for the next night. Is his right. And the audience, too - if they dont like it, they can boo (I mean, its not like they went to a classical concert or something) - and if they like it, they can applaud. I really have trouble seeing what anyone's problem with any of this should be.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 06:47 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
At least Ronstadt did her rant on American soil which, in my way of thinking, is somewhat more acceptable than doing it on foreign soil.

Oh yeah - imagine an American singer telling a French audience that Moore is a "great American patriot" and "someone who is spreading the truth" and that everyone should see his "documentary about President Bush" - what a vile defiling of American honour such "ranting" would be! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 06:52 pm
Advocacy for Moore okay. That just makes her an idiot, not necesarily one who trashes her country to others.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 07:21 pm
Is there a difference between "trashing your country" and "trashing your government", to your mind?

(I know, I know, we had a long discussion about this general topic - but I dont think I've actually asked this straightforward question yet)
0 Replies