tony5732

Fri 5 Aug, 2016 12:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I honestly bel
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Fri 5 Aug, 2016 12:31 pm
@izzythepush,
I just read that. I'm in no way for blocking roads by protesters of any type. I get the urge to do it, but if for no other reason, I think it isn't useful or very useful for hoped for change. I'll add that it can impede safety, besides being rather useless or worse, turning people who agree off. I'm not generally against the Black Lives Matter groups, being on their side, but tactics can vary re wisdom.
tony5732

Fri 5 Aug, 2016 12:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Because at the BLM rally against white privilege the guy with the sniper rifle was not targeting the black officers. That's why. I don't agree with the prejudiced mentality some people take against blacks either, but if you look through other people's eyes that's what they see.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 5 Aug, 2016 01:00 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I think that was to draw attention to the movement and it's succeeded. There's been a lot of discussion on the BBC with various black politicians, mostly about what direction they think the movement should take.. I don't think blocking roads will be a regular feature.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Fri 5 Aug, 2016 01:11 pm
@ossobucotemp,
To edit myself, I don't mind crowds gathering in city squares, etc. I want ambulances to be able to get through, or even ordinary cars for people trying to get home.
0 Replies

revelette2

Fri 5 Aug, 2016 01:15 pm
I haven't read the back and forth on this, but, maybe over across the seas the BLM is getting favorable attention, here it is have the opposite effect if anything at all. There needs to be more, way more, protest, loud in your face protest and people willing to go to jail kind of protest in order to keep the subject in front of those who are in the position to change and reform the police forces and the justice system.

Maybe when Obama gets out of office, he can organize and lead the effort, he would make a difference and he can do more out of office than in it for the BLM.
bobsal u1553115

Fri 5 Aug, 2016 02:28 pm
DE UU Church does something pretty awesome with their 'Black Lives Matters' sign being vandalized
I see this sign all the time when I drive up and down and down the Concord Pike (rt 202) here in Wilmington. Lately the sign has been vandalized and the Church has done something incredibly awesome to let the vandals know they aren't going to back down.
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/de87d21d1331192edf6ac23ff3d292fabc1d4a0d/c=258-0-1790-1152&r=x408&c=540x405/local/-/media/2016/08/04/Wilmington/Wilmington/636059048715228932-13913637-1163695630358880-4915634450209657762-o.jpg
Church responds to Black Lives Matter vandals with dollars

A "Black Lives Matter" banner outside a Talleyville church along Concord Pike has been vandalized again – but now, the church is responding with dollars.

In new signs posted alongside the banner Wednesday, church officials with the First Unitarian Church of Wilmington warn vandals that for every time the bright yellow and black banner is cut or destroyed, members will make a donation to Black Lives Matter UU.

"We want to make this even more costly to you (the vandals)," said the Rev. Roberta Finkelstein. "Every time you do this, you're actually making a donation to the cause."
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Fri 5 Aug, 2016 02:38 pm
@revelette2,
I think letters to congress people (not so much now as congress has congealed), letters to people in state offices, well enough written articles sent to news outlets, are better than completely blocking transportation.

Have you ever marched?

bobsal u1553115

Fri 5 Aug, 2016 03:07 pm
KING: Second Amendment protections don’t apply equally to African-Americans

SHAUN KING

If I've learned anything over the past two years of the Black Lives Matter movement, it's that the right to bear arms, a constitutional right protected by America's Second Amendment, does not apply equally to whites and African-Americans. Quite the contrary. Being seen with a gun — fake or real, licensed or not, or even being suspected of having a gun or something that may not even be a gun — while black, in the presence of anybody who isn't black, particularly if they are police officers, is damn near a death wish.

This is not hyperbole.

I encourage you to perform the following test:

Ask your white friends or co-workers, on a scale of 1-10, how nervous would they be, with 1 being not at all and 10 being on the verge of a panic attack, if they possessed a legally owned firearm in the presence of police during a routine traffic stop.

Now, ask your black friends or co-workers the very same question.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-amendment-doesn-protect-african-americans-equally-article-1.2738379
Baldimo

Fri 5 Aug, 2016 03:11 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Race baiting at it's best.
bobsal u1553115

Fri 5 Aug, 2016 03:14 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
@bobsal u1553115,
Race baiting at it's best.

Willful blindness and doubling of standards at it most nauseous.
0 Replies

vikorr

Fri 5 Aug, 2016 03:18 pm
@Baldimo,
I would have thought that was a particularly relevant question / test.
cicerone imposter

Fri 5 Aug, 2016 03:23 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Anyone who has lived in this country and have watched tv or read newspapers should know for themselves how African Americans are not treated equally by the police or justice system.
I would suspect most of the ignorant to be the older white, and uneducated group. Most probably live in the south, but unequal justice happens in most states.

Baldimo

Fri 5 Aug, 2016 03:23 pm
@vikorr,
It would be if all blacks shared the same opinion but they don't so it's a race baiting question.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 5 Aug, 2016 03:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I gotta agree with you.
0 Replies

revelette2

Fri 5 Aug, 2016 03:27 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I rarely get out my own little town, not big on driving, so no I haven't marched. I imagine the civil rights marches upset traffic, but I am glad we had people willing to do it for a good cause. The cause is just important now, urgent in fact. People can write, I haven't ever seen it do as good as marches and protest.
cicerone imposter

Fri 5 Aug, 2016 03:31 pm
@revelette2,
Here's the civil rights time line that shows the improvements based on people's efforts to improve equality for all.
http://www.infoplease.com/spot/civilrightstimeline1.html

I know it works, because it worked for us Japanese Americans in this country. Our country put us into concentration camps during WWII even though the majority of us were US born citizens. The US government apologized and gave us $20,000 for all we have lost when we were put into concentration camps with only what we could carry. Our family had very little, but many lost farms, homes, businesses, cars, and household goods.
0 Replies

giujohn

Fri 5 Aug, 2016 03:32 pm
@TheCobbler,
http://www.rawstory.com/2016/08/black-woman-calls-911-during-traffic-stop-because-she-fears-houston-cop-who-then-attacks-her/

This is what America is coming to... If you're black and the police officer is white you now get to negotiate on scene. Police officers are not judges and they're not juries if you want to go negotiate the charge you go to court you don't do it on scene. And you don't resist arrest... That's a crime. The officer exhibited incredible patience... We don't pay our police officers to act as judge and jury the officer is not required to negotiate the charge. The only mistake the officer made was waiting too long to put the cuffs on her. He should have given her one warning and an alternative. The warning is if she doesn't comply she has two choices get a ticket or go to jail.
cicerone imposter

Fri 5 Aug, 2016 03:38 pm
@giujohn,
Some still act as judge, jury and executioner - right on the spot.

http://mappingpoliceviolence.org/unarmed/
Baldimo

Fri 5 Aug, 2016 03:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Some people play street lawyer and think they know the law. What's your point?