giujohn

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 08:45 am
@revelette2,
According to historical records the slaves that that worked on the White House were paid the equivalent of today's wages at $31 a day... So I guess technically it's paid slave labor.
giujohn

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 08:48 am
This just in all charges against the police officers in the Freddie gray case have been dropped... A blind man with a cane could have saw that coming. Let the lawsuits for malicious prosecution begin.
0 Replies

revelette2

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 08:50 am
@giujohn,
I doubt that seriously, it was probably the freed blacks were paid, not the slaves. In fact, I will save you the trouble and look it up.

giujohn

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 08:58 am
@revelette2,
Don't bother I already did...
http://toprightnews.com/
0 Replies

revelette2

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 09:17 am
I don't trust you enough to click your link. Mine is from Smithsonian, apparently is not as uncomplicated you made out. They did not get paid the $31 a day you said. However, there are records of some slaves getting paid for particular jobs, most were rented from their slave owners.

Quote:
When First Lady Michelle Obama took the stage during the first night of the Democratic National Convention, she talked about how it felt to be a black woman waking up in the White House every morning—a building constructed with slave labor. It was a powerful moment in her speech, hearkening back to the generations of African-Americans forced into bondage in this country. Up until a few decades ago, little attention was paid to looking into who actually laid the foundations and put up the walls of the White House. But what documentation exists today shows that many of Washington, D.C.’s most iconic government buildings, including the White House, were built by slaves.

In 2005, Congress put together a task force to shed light on the subject. After months of research, the commission announced that while it would never be able to tell the full story of the slaves who built these buildings, there was no doubt that they were intricately involved in the work, Alexander Lane reported for PolitiFact.

“Indifference by by earlier historians, poor record keeping, and the silence of the voiceless classes have impeded our ability in the twenty-first century to understand fully the contributions and privations of those who toiled over the seven decades from the first cornerstone laying to the day of emancipation in the District of Columbia,” Senate Historian Richard Baker and Chief of the House of Representatives Office of History and Preservation Kenneth Kato wrote in a foreward to the report.

From a geographical standpoint alone, it should come as no surprise that slave laborers were used to build the nation’s capital. Washington, D.C., was built on landed ceded to the federal government by Virginia and Maryland, and at the time the Potomac region was home to almost half of the country’s 750,000 slaves, Lane reports.

While the White House Historical Association reports that the D.C. commissioners originally tried to bring cheap workers over from Europe to build the new capital, their recruitment efforts fell short. As a result, they forced local slaves to provide the labor, often renting workers from their masters for year-long periods of time.

“Slaves were likely involved in all aspects of construction, including carpentry, masonry, carting, rafting, plastering, glazing and painting, the task force reported,” Lane writes. “And slaves appear to have shouldered alone the grueling work of sawing logs and stones.”

http://thumbs.media.smithsonianmag.com//filer/34/bd/34bd3b1b-c277-4f41-9a79-75e17bd66bb3/african-americans-1790s.jpg__800x450_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

In addition to constructing the buildings, slaves also worked the quarries where the stones for the government buildings came from. Ironically, the Statue of Freedom that sits atop the Capitol dome was made with the help of Philip Reid, a man enslaved by sculptor Thomas Crawford, who was commissioned to build the statue. According to the Architect of the Capitol, Reid was paid $1.25 a day by the federal government for his contributions.

source
izzythepush

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 09:23 am
Top Right News?

Seems legit, just like this bloke.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/eb/30/08/eb300893d072e2fd499da878fe1976ed.jpg
0 Replies

giujohn

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 09:29 am
@revelette2,
One slave — Philip Reid — was paid directly, a sum of $1.25 per day ($31 per day in 2016 dollars)
revelette2

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 10:19 am
@giujohn,
I'll take your word for that in regards to what it equals in today's money. However, it doesn't matter that one slave who helped his slave owner build the bell received $31 dollars a day, he was still owned and still labored for free for his slaves owner in other ways. It was a special commission. The majority of the hard labor was provided by slaves rented from slaves owners. They rented out human lives as property to build the house Obama's now live in which was her original point.

Quote:

And slaves appear to have shouldered alone the grueling work of sawing logs and stones.”

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 12:31 pm
@revelette2,
toprightnews,com, right? He's an idiot.
0 Replies

vikorr

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 12:38 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
Wow Vikorr... so it's you that's responsible for all the bad police officers in all of Australia? What are we going to do with you.
Actually, prison officers in a Youth Detention Centre in the Northern Terrority - about 5oookm from where I am (at a guess). But Lock me up...I'm obviously a supporter of this, ...at least according to Izzy.

Our PM has ordered a Royal Commission into this fiasco.

As I mentioned earlier. Izzy has a very personal hatred of me. And with how quickly my posts get voted down, he seems to stalk me, whatever thread I post on (too often shows up for a comment soon after, though not always). Rolling Eyes
vikorr

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 01:07 pm
@vikorr,
That said, if anyone would like to see more information on the event Izzy was posting about:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/dylan-voller-fears-for-safety-after-being-named-in-damning-four-corners-report-on-nt-youth-detention-centre/news-story/02ba5b64fdeac1bb3c9f896fa78dab65It has a couple of videos also attached to it.
giujohn

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 01:12 pm
@vikorr,
We should always be wary of people who are as obsessed as Bob and Izzy are... very dangerous.
Real Music

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 02:15 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
According to historical records the slaves that that worked on the White House were paid the equivalent of today's wages at $31 a day... So I guess technically it's paid slave labor.
Even Fox News Bill OReilly in his own racist way agrees that slaves helped build the White House.

Here's some more evidence that slaves help build the White House.
https://www.whitehousehistory.org/questions/did-slaves-build-the-white-house
Quote:
Construction on the President's House began in 1792 in Washington, D.C., a new capital situated in sparsely settled region far from a major population center. The decision to place the capital on land ceded by two slave states-Virginia and Maryland-ultimately influenced the acquisition of laborers to construct its public buildings. The D.C. commissioners, charged by Congress with building the new city under the direction of the president, initially planned to import workers from Europe to meet their labor needs. However, response to recruitment was dismal and soon they turned to African American—enslaved and free—to provide the bulk of labor that built the White House, the United States Capitol, and other early government buildings.

Stonemason Collen Williamson trained enslaved people on the spot at the government's quarry at Aquia, Virginia. Enslaved people quarried and cut the rough stone that was later dressed and laid by Scottish masons to erect the walls of the President's House. The slaves joined a work force that included local white laborers and artisans from Maryland and Virginia, as well as immigrants from Ireland, Scotland, and other European nations.

I found so much evidence as well as documents, historical records, and various other forms of evidence. Too much evidence to be posted. It would take way too long to post the mountain of evidence that supports and proves that slaves in fact did help build the White House.

cicerone imposter

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 02:37 pm
@Real Music,
Also, a little trivia about George Washington's chef. He was Black. I now wonder if he was properly compensated.
Baldimo

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 02:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
To quote HRC,
Quote:
What difference does it make now?
0 Replies

hingehead

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 04:33 pm
@giujohn,
http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/fff/848/af7/resized/condescending-fox-meme-generator-excuse-me-pot-have-you-met-kettle-9f61f0.jpg
0 Replies

giujohn

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 06:51 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Quote:
Even Fox News Bill OReilly in his own racist way agrees that slaves helped build the White House.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj9pDExOpSs[/youtube]

Here's some more evidence that slaves help build the White House.

https://www.whitehousehistory.org/questions/did-slaves-build-the-white-house
Quote:
Construction on the President's House began in 1792 in Washington, D.C., a new capital situated in sparsely settled region far from a major population center. The decision to place the capital on land ceded by two slave states-Virginia and Maryland-ultimately influenced the acquisition of laborers to construct its public buildings. The D.C. commissioners, charged by Congress with building the new city under the direction of the president, initially planned to import workers from Europe to meet their labor needs. However, response to recruitment was dismal and soon they turned to African American—enslaved and free—to provide the bulk of labor that built the White House, the United States Capitol, and other early government buildings.

Stonemason Collen Williamson trained enslaved people on the spot at the government's quarry at Aquia, Virginia. Enslaved people quarried and cut the rough stone that was later dressed and laid by Scottish masons to erect the walls of the President's House. The slaves joined a work force that included local white laborers and artisans from Maryland and Virginia, as well as immigrants from Ireland, Scotland, and other European nations.

I found so much evidence as well as documents, historical records, and various other forms of evidence. Too much evidence to be posted. It would take way too long to post the mountain of evidence that supports and proves that slaves in fact did help build the White House.

But wasn't the White House destroyed in 1814 and then rebuilt so technically the house that Michelle Obama wakes up and was not built by slaves?
0 Replies

vikorr

Thu 28 Jul, 2016 02:13 am
@giujohn,
Quote:
We should always be wary of people who are as obsessed as Bob and Izzy are... very dangerous.

As mentioned earlier - I currently think that Bob is more passionate and one eyed than anything else.
--------------------------------------------------

Izzy...well, he can present logically in most things. I've even seen any number of things he's said that I agree with. Unfortunately, when his hatred is triggered, then his ability to recognise / acknowledge logic seems to go out of the window.

He is particuarly one eyed about the religion of Islam. He won't listen to any criticism of Islam: Not of it's it's ideology (even if you quote Quranic texts); he won't acknowledge any Terrorist event in the name of Islam, won't acknowledge the frequency or severity or width (within the world) of such terrorist events; He won't acknowledge Muslim persecution of Christians (Boko Haram, Abu Shayyaf, Egyptian Copts, the Armenian genocide etc) nor of other minority groups; And he definitely won't discuss whether or not Islam's ideology contributes such intolerance / events (eg. the Quran calls Jews/Christians/unbelievers: dogs, cattle, monkeys, pigs, worst of beasts, liars, corrupt, haters, worshippers of satan, losers etc. Often, over and over again. You only need to start reading it for yourself to find this out, or if you wish a shortcut, google 'list of intolerance in the Quran' and reference it against Quran.com)

It is that topic that created his very personal hatred of me. Having read several chapters of the Quran, some of the Hadiths, looked into Mohammeds life, what it means to be Muslim (the example of Mohammed is integral to being a Muslim), and the history of violent expansion following Mohammeds death...I came to the conclusion that it's ideology, and the example of Mohammed (and his nearest followers) is not peaceful. I also came to the conclusion that people in the West are woefully ignorant of what is in Islam's holy texts, and of Mohammeds life. Sprinkled throughout my posts - I've said that people need to look into this for themselves, and make up their own mind - from knowledge rather than ignorance or propoganda.

http://quran.com/

He hates those views with a passion.
--------------------------------------------------------------
That hatred spills over into other threads where I challenge peoples logic, fairness in applying principles, or otherwise - like here.

I have all the time in the world for activists (again, people who speak up about perceived problems are needed in this world)...I just ask that they ensure their views are well grounded, fair and even handed. Being such will compliment their passion, result in a greater sense of humanity (which then comes through in their speech), and result in incredibly strong arguments Very Happy

I think Martin Luther Kings 'I had a dream, that all men were created equal' was one of those types of speeches. It doesn't just say that black americans would be equal to white americans...but that everyone would be seen as human by their fellow humans.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Thu 28 Jul, 2016 05:22 am
‘Stand your ground’: Charges against officer who killed black man carrying air rifle dropped
Source: Washington Post

A judge dismissed charges against a Florida sheriff’s deputy who shot a 33-year-old black man carrying an unloaded air rifle in Broward County in 2013, saying the law enforcement officer was protected under Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” self-defense law.

Peter Peraza, 37, testified during a hearing that Jermaine McBean initially refused commands from him and other deputies to drop the authentic-looking weapon and then turned and pointed it toward the deputies, the Associated Press reported. Peraza fired three shots, killing McBean. The deputy was the first Florida law enforcement officer criminally charged for an on-duty killing in more than three decades.

Peraza had faced a potential 30-year prison sentence.

Prosecutors told the AP that they intend to appeal Circuit Judge Michael Usan’s dismissal.

-snip-

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/07/27/stand-your-ground-law-cited-as-charges-dropped-against-deputy-who-killed-black-man-carrying-air-rifle/?utm_term=.65ee130
giujohn

Thu 28 Jul, 2016 05:26 am
@bobsal u1553115,
And let me guess Bob, you're upset about this?
0 Replies