bobsal u1553115

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 09:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
You don't know what you are talking about.
Quote:

We are witnessing America's transformation to a police state.

I agree with her.
hingehead

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 09:58 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I think it's a pivotal moment and you guys have choices to make.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 10:11 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I live in Silicon Valley in Northern California. I experience the same freedoms I enjoyed after WWII.
If you know any Japanese American history before, during and after WWII, you would understand the discrimination we experienced.
However, our lives have improved dramatically since the war. My younger brother even served two terms in the state legislature, and was mayor of his town a few times. He's now a city councilman.
I know blacks do not get equal treatment in our country, because about one-third of Americans are racial bigots. Trump helped to expose them.
hingehead

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 10:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Inductive reasoning can be fraught.

http://www.fooledbyrandomness.com/notebook_files/image018.png
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 12 Jul, 2016 05:03 am
@cicerone imposter,
I understand what happened to Nisei American citizens. And while the tide of history has lifted their boat, it hasn't lifted the African American boat so much.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 12 Jul, 2016 05:06 am
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 12 Jul, 2016 05:07 am
The Black American Experience in one quick chart

https://67.media.tumblr.com/9bc27f1f5864bae272fc2d5c8a29d2ba/tumblr_oa41q989yM1tu3dqio1_540.jpg
bobsal u1553115

Tue 12 Jul, 2016 05:43 am
Rudy Giuliani’s Racial Myths

By THE EDITORIAL BOARDJULY 11, 2016

For a nation heartsick over the killings of black men by police officers in Louisiana and Minnesota, and the ambush murders of officers by a gunman in Dallas, here comes Rudolph Giuliani, bringing his trademark brew of poisonous disinformation to the discussion.

In his view, the problem is black gangs, murderous black children, the refusal of black protesters to look in the mirror at their “racist” selves, and black parents’ failure to teach their children to respect the police.

“What we’ve got to hear from the black community,” said Mr. Giuliani, in a Sunday morning talk-show appearance that seemed to double as a lecture to black America, “is how and what they are doing among themselves about the crime problem in the black community.” He added, “We wonder, do black lives matter, or only the very few black lives that are killed by white policemen?”

Here’s a better question: How, we wonder, will the country ever get beyond its stunted discourse about racialized violence when people like Mr. Giuliani continue to try to change the subject? Those who remember Mr. Giuliani as the hectoring mayor of New York know what he has to offer any conversation on race and violence — not a lot. In case you’re unconvinced, here is what Mr. Giuliani on Sunday said he would tell a young son, if he were black: “Be very careful of those kids in the neighborhood and don’t get involved with them because, son, there’s a 99 percent chance they’re going to kill you, not the police.”

Mr. Giuliani’s garbled, fictional statistic echoes a common right-wing talking point about the prevalence of “black on black” violence in America. Homicide data do show that black victims are most often killed by black assailants. (They also reveal that whites tend to be killed by whites.) This observation does not speak to the matter of racist policing and police brutality. Killings of the police have, mercifully, been on the decline during the Obama presidency. But unwarranted shootings by police officers remain a persistent problem, ignored for generations, exploding only now into the wider public consciousness because of bystander videos that reveal the blood-red truth.

Every weekday, get thought-provoking commentary from Op-Ed columnists, The Times editorial board and contributing writers from around the world.

Unnerved by black anger, Americans like Mr. Giuliani cling to false equivalencies. They have, for example, defamed the Black Lives Matter movement as a “war on cops.” (Tell that to the protesters in Dallas who smiled for photos with officers who were protecting their march.)

The debate is full of such untruths and misdirections. There is the colossal Texas lie, the one that says a “good guy with a gun” can always stop a bad guy with a gun (in Dallas, where some marchers and bystanders were armed, it took a bomb). There is Mr. Giuliani’s ludicrous suggestion that black people don’t know they need to be careful around cops, or somehow are complicit in their brutalizing. Alton Sterling, in Baton Rouge, and Philando Castile, in a St. Paul suburb, were posing no threat when they were shot. (Far from being ignorant of the ways of the police, fearful black parents long ago learned to impart the advice that Mr. Castile’s mother, Valerie Castile, said she gave her son: “If you get stopped by the police, comply. Comply, comply, comply.”) Eric Garner, on Staten Island, was unarmed and outnumbered by the officers who swarmed and smothered him.

In 1999, when Mr. Giuliani was New York’s tough-on-crime mayor, Amadou Diallo reached for his wallet and was cut down in a hail of police bullets. Patrick Dorismond was minding his own business on a Manhattan street in 2000 when Mr. Giuliani’s undercover officers confronted him and shot him dead. In one of the disgraceful acts of his or any mayoralty, Mr. Giuliani smeared the victim’s reputation and released part of his juvenile police record, as if to suggest that he deserved to be murdered.

We can only hope that in the heat and anger of this wretched summer, Americans’ impulse to pull together is stronger than the divisiveness of race-baiting moralists. We hope, too, that the violence calls further attention to the tragedy of hypersegregated Chicago, whose South and West Sides are beset by gangs and drugs and generations of isolation and joblessness, and where the police have long had the power to harass and humiliate. But the victims of Chicago’s agonies have certainly done their part to try to end them. For years, black Chicagoans have denounced the violence, marched in the streets, pleaded with the authorities for help. Their struggle, like the one that raised the national alarm about unjust policing, deserves to be heard and truthfully confronted.

Follow The New York Times Opinion section on Facebook and Twitter (@NYTOpinion), and sign up for the Opinion Today newsletter.

A version of this editorial appears in print on July 12, 2016, on page A22 of the New York edition with the headline: Rudy Giuliani’s Racial Myths. Today's Paper|Subscribe

revelette2

Tue 12 Jul, 2016 06:57 am
Black reporters have been arrested and one man was surrounded by an angry white mob when he was mistakenly thought to be the sniper and has received so many death threats he had to move away from Texas.

After Yawning Racial Divide exposed in US, Peaceful Protests Continue
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 12 Jul, 2016 07:09 am
@bobsal u1553115,
THIS!!!

This tells the story.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Tue 12 Jul, 2016 02:46 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Thank you for posting the whole thing (thanks re paywall concerns)
0 Replies

Baldimo

Tue 12 Jul, 2016 03:42 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Surprising New Evidence Shows Bias in Police Use of Force but Not in Shootings

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html?_r=0
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 12 Jul, 2016 06:58 pm
"My ancestors owned your motherfucking ass. My ancestors owned your ass, bitch."

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/07/my-ancestors-owned-your-ass-angry-texas-couple-yells-black-teen-does-not-belong-in-america/

According to Media Takeout, the girl was dining with her family after church at Chester’s Chicken restaurant in San Antonio and began streaming the encounter live on Facebook after the couple made racial statements.

“Take your n*gger ass back to Africa!” the white woman says.

The woman adds, “Black people don’t belong in America.”

“We’re monkeys, guys,” the teen explains to her Facebook followers as the white couple leaves. “That’s what they call us. They call us monkeys and n*ggers and nobody is paying attention. You know, I had to record it to let you all see. Because it’s real in San Antonio too. For everyone who thinks it’s not real, it’s real in San Antonio.”

“That’s the problem though,” she notes. “You can’t fight these people because that’s how you end up in jail.”
bobsal u1553115

Tue 12 Jul, 2016 06:59 pm
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r589/duadmin/black_zpsrb9lhs3y.jpg
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Tue 12 Jul, 2016 07:08 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Let's be honest and admit that we have White and black people among us who behave this way. I do appreciate you sharing this with me though.
bobsal u1553115

Tue 12 Jul, 2016 07:19 pm
@reasoning logic,
Would you rather be white or black:
Around a cop?
At a job interview?
In front of a judge?
reasoning logic

Tue 12 Jul, 2016 07:30 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Would you rather be white or black:
Around a cop?
At a job interview?
In front of a judge?

I would rather be invisible.

If I had to pick from your list would you at least let me know the color of the person judging me?
cicerone imposter

Tue 12 Jul, 2016 08:02 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
If I had to pick from your list would you at least let me know the color of the person judging me?

Spot on! Especially a jury. LOL
bobsal u1553115

Wed 13 Jul, 2016 06:03 am
@cicerone imposter,
Reread that. He's asking me my racial identity.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 13 Jul, 2016 06:31 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cm5IJELUMAA9PCp.jpg
0 Replies