bobsal u1553115

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 05:54 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cm4BFoGUsAEm1RV.jpg
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 06:24 am
http://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/scalefit_630_noupscale/5782c4731a00002700dd084a.jpeg

Here’s the story of Ieshia Evans, the 28-year-old mother from that iconic photo
Zach Cartwright | July 11, 2016

One photo perfectly captured the strength of Black Lives Matter protesters in the face of police oppression. That photo is of 28-year-old Ieshia Evans, a mother and protester calmly facing down heavily armored riot police in the middle of a Baton Rouge street. Evans is seen unflinchingly standing tall, with her feet firmly planted, looking officers directly in the eye as they seem to stumble backward upon approaching her.

“I went into the street with my arms crossed and just stared at them,” Evans told her friend. “I guess they didn’t like it because they detained me.”

The photo of Evans has gone viral, with some social media users referring to the image as the “Tiananmen Square moment” of the Black Lives Matter movement (Evans’ first name was unfortunately misspelled as “Leshia” in the initial hashtag on Twitter):

Evans, who works as a licensed practical nurse, was so moved by the graphic video of Alton Sterling’s final moments that she traveled from New York City to Baton Rouge to join last weekend’s protests, according to the Daily Mail. According to Natasha Haynes, a longtime friend of Evans, the young mother was “overcome with emotion” and became worried about the future of her 5-year-old son growing up in America, so she left her son with the safety of his father and vowed to join the protests.

At the moment the photo was captured, Evans had ran forward to the front lines of the protests. She then stood in the street facing the officers with her arms folded. Officers arrested Evans and 131 others throughout Friday and Saturday, including Black Lives Matter activist DeRay McKesson, who ran for mayor of Baltimore earlier this year.

Evans was released on Sunday after being held overnight for roughly 24 hours. This was her first protest.

Upon her release, Evans remained gracious and humble. “I just need you people to know. I appreciate the well wishes and love, but this is the work of God,” she wrote on her Facebook page. “I am a vessel! Glory to the most high! I’m glad I’m alive and safe. And that there were no casualties that I have witnessed first hand.”

While Baton Rouge police told The Advocate that one officer had his teeth knocked out as the result of objects thrown from the protests, and that officers confiscated several guns from protesters, McKesson maintains that protesters remained peaceful.

“The only people who were violent last night were the Baton Rouge Police department,” McKesson said after being released from jail. “The protesters remained peaceful, both here and across the country.”

A bail fund has been launched on crowdfunding site Crowdrise to support legal costs for the jailed protesters. As of this writing, the fund is over $174,000 of the way to its $300,000 goal.

Zach Cartwright is an activist and author from Richmond, Virginia. He enjoys writing about politics, government, and the media. Send him an email: [email protected]
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 06:31 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnCGQulWgAAge4s.jpg
revelette2

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 07:28 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I impressed and gladdened to see a more diverse crowd in these protest, people of every color need to join the BLM, peacefully but emphatically.

What an amazing woman, I am glad the photo was taken, it will be good for the movement.
Lash

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 07:46 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Powerful statement. Thanks for sharing the picture.
bobsal u1553115

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 08:58 am
@revelette2,
That photo lifted my heart this morning.
bobsal u1553115

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 09:01 am
@Lash,
Its good that every once in a while they report a photo that probably represents the much larger portion of protester.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 09:02 am
http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoons/RallT/2016/RallT20160711_low.jpg
0 Replies

revelette2

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 09:22 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I hear you, I think it will live on for years. Great.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 10:14 am
We are witnessing America's transformation to a police state. Voting suppression on a massive scale, graft and corruption IN YOUR FACE, an attempt to disarm the citizenry, murder by drone, media suppression of a massive populist movement.

If we don't do something, our asses are grasses.

Vote in a third party or Sanders or wish you did for the rest of your life.
edgarblythe

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 10:21 am
It's not the first time police have killed with a bomb
http://www.phillymag.com/news/2012/05/15/phillys-bomb-dropping-guns-blazing-child-murdering-day/
reasoning logic

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 04:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
It's not the first time police have killed with a bomb

It will not be the last and it will get worse before it gets better.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 04:54 pm
@Lash,
You don't know what you are talking about.
Quote:
We are witnessing America's transformation to a police state.

reasoning logic

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 05:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
You don't know what you are talking about.

Quote:

Quote:
We are witnessing America's transformation to a police state.

Do you think we are already there?
cicerone imposter

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 05:34 pm
@reasoning logic,
Totalitarianism is a political system where the state recognizes no limits to its authority and strives to regulate every aspect of public and private life wherever feasible.
cicerone imposter

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 05:38 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
FULL ANSWER
Totalitarianism is a form of autocracy in which the state has total control over its citizens. Totalitarianism shares characteristics with other forms of autocracy, such as dictatorships and authoritarian governments.
While North Korea technically calls itself a democratic republic, its ruler has complete control over all aspects of life among its citizens, making it more of a dictatorship that is totalitarian in practice.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 06:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That sounds like other forms of government as well.
cicerone imposter

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 06:59 pm
@reasoning logic,
You can redefine it any way you wish, but you'll be the only one believing it.
reasoning logic

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 07:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
you'll be the only one believing it.

What makes you so sure that there are not others like lash?
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 11 Jul, 2016 07:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
I remember that day. The troubling thing to me is not just the one murder by robot without due process, but the pattern and direction of each of those items I mentioned in that post plus a few more.

Don't like the trend.
0 Replies