Sanders Being Harassed by blacklivesmatter#

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 05:27 am
@Lash,
Quote:
"I would never give up my microphone. I thought that was disgusting. That showed such weakness, the way he was taken away by two young women -- the microphone; they just took the whole place over," Trump told reporters during an evening news conference before speaking to a Republican group in Michigan.

"That will never happen with me," he said. "I don't know if I'll do the fighting myself or if other people will, but that was a disgrace. I felt badly for him. But it showed that he's weak."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/11/politics/donald-trump-2016/index.html

Gotta give it to trump, he understands where a lot of people are. The charge that we cant trust Sanders to fight for what is important is going to stick.

I promise you that Trump remembers this

0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 05:48 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

How about looking at things as they are? Why did they have access to Bernie - and why did they not have access to Hillary? There are reasons.

They "got there too late"? And you buy that? Horseshit.

So, BLM changes their tactics for one candidate? Shut down Bernie's 5000-person speech after ppl stood in the heat for 2 hours, but let Hillary have her little $3000, a head meeting as she pleases and sit down with her, have tea and discuss their day? Sell that **** elsewhere. They're on the same payroll.

Btw, Bernie IS good and Hillary IS bad. BLM isn't looking too credible these days either.

Yeah, I apologize for characterizing your post as 'whining', but I'm sure you have good reasons for characterizing any opposition or questioning as bullshit, horseshit, and lazy people who need to stop selling their ****, get off their ass and support a true liberal hero.

It isn't even that hard to believe (for someone looking at this objectively) that it's harder to get at Clinton because of secret service protection.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 07:55 am
@snood,
I agree with most of what you are saying Snood. I certainly agree with you on the need to push this issue. Where I disagree is the tactics.

The time for the BlackLivesMatter movement is now. They have a space in the public mind. The have the media's attention. They have candidates talking about it. They have an understandable and clear grievance.

If (and this is a big if) they use this moment, when all the stars have aligned for them, they have the opportunity to make real progress. They will not just make waves, but they have the ability to push our society in a better directly... and to put the issue of racial injustice at the hands of law enforcement into the public discussion for a long time.

If this movement turns into just an angry protest... where the goal is to make people pay rather than make real progress, then they will lose the moment and society will be the worse for it.

How these protests unfold is important. The people who care about the Black Lives Matter movement should be very aware of this.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 10:41 am
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/08/12/bernie-sanders-big-challenge-explained-in-1-chart/?tid=pm_pop_b

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/files/2015/08/FaveByCandidate.png&w=1484

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/files/2015/08/AAFave.png&w=1484

interesting stuff

now to find out if I can find out how much of an impact black voters have

I do know that pundits are very interested in the Millenial and Hispanic/Latino vote as these two are big blocks that go out to vote. Haven't seen as much discussion of black voter records/patterns/impact. It could have to do with the size of the voting group or something else.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 10:52 am
@ehBeth,
https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/immigration/report/2015/01/06/101605/the-changing-face-of-americas-electorate/

interesting analysis at the link - fascinating if you're a numbers nerd

https://cdn.americanprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/webtable1.png

https://cdn.americanprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/2016Voter-fig1.png

n.b. trying to reconcile (for myself) why the focus on has been on the Hispanic/Latino voters rather than Black voters when the H/L is lower - it's got to do with the raw numbers - the H/L group is bigger and growing faster
ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 10:54 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
He needs them because he ain't goin anywhere without the black vote

turns out that's not quite the case
ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 10:55 am
@ehBeth,
the analysis at the americanprogress link gives a pretty good clue as to why the big turnouts at California rallies are important - and why that state's H/L voters have potential to make a huge difference in the overall results
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
maxdancona

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 11:39 am
@hawkeye10,
Sorry Hawkeye, but you have lost me.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 12:01 pm
@maxdancona,
Ask yourself why the movement is not doing better to get anything productive done. THey might be the wrong agents of change, tarnished as they are by violence, always attacking the cops we the people feel we need to protect us.

Take a look at a fairly well written piece here:
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/08/a-tough-weekend-for-the-black-lives-matter-movement/400862/,
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 12:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
PRESS RELEASE: Black Lives Matter Seattle#‎BowDownBernie‬ Action
MEDIA CONTACTS: Marissa Johnson (360) 840-6234 [email protected]
Black Lives Matter Seattle organizers and supporters take over Bernie Sanders’ rally at Westlake on Saturday, August 8, 2015.
Today BLM Seattle, with the support of other Black organizers and non-Black allies and accomplices, held Bernie Sanders publicly accountable for his lack of support for the Black Lives Matter movement and his blatantly silencing response to the ‪#‎SayHerName‬ ‪#‎IfIDieInPoliceCustody‬ action that took place at Netroots this year.
Bernie’s arrival in Seattle is largely significant in the context of the state of emergency Black lives are in locally as well as across America. The Seattle Police Department has been under federal consent decree for the last three years and has been continually plagued by use-of-force violations and racist scandals amongst their rank and file. Seattle Mayor Ed Murray has refused to push any reform measures for police accountability, not even the numerous recommendations of his self-appointed Community Police Commission. The Seattle School District suspends Black students at a rate six times higher than their white counterparts, feeding Black children into the school-to-prison pipeline. King County has fought hard to push through a plan to build a $210 million new youth jail to imprison these children, amid intense community criticism and dissent. The Central District, a historically Black neighborhood in Seattle, has undergone rapid gentrification over the past few decades, with Black people being displaced from the only neighborhood that we could legally live in until just years ago. While white men profit off of the legalization of marijuana, our prisons are still filled with Black people who are over-incarcerated for drug offenses.
This city is filled with white progressives, which is why Bernie Sanders’ camp was obviously expecting a friendly and consenting audience for today’s campaign visit. The problem with Sanders’, and with white Seattle progressives in general, is that they are utterly and totally useless (when not outright harmful) in terms of the fight for Black lives. While we are drowning in their liberal rhetoric, we have yet to see them support Black grassroots movements or take on any measure of risk and responsibility for ending the tyranny of white supremacy in our country and in our city. This willful passivity while claiming solidarity with the ‪#‎BlackLivesMatter‬ movement in an effort to be relevant is over. White progressive Seattle and Bernie Sanders cannot call themselves liberals while they participate in the racist system that claims Black lives. Bernie Sanders will not continue to call himself a man of the people, while ignoring the plight of Black people. Presidential candidates will not win Black votes without putting out an explicit criminal justice reform package. As was said at the Netroots action, presidential candidates should expect to be shut down and confronted every step along the way of this presidential campaign. Black people are in a state of emergency. Lines have been drawn in the sand. You are either fighting continuously and measurably to protect Black life in America, or you are a part of the white supremacist system that we will tear down in the liberation of our people.
On this, nearly the one year anniversary of the ruthless murder of Mike Brown, we honor Black lives lost by doing the unthinkable, the unapologetic, and the unrespectable. Out of radical love for our Black brothers and sisters, we put our lives and our bodies on the line to testify to their persecution and resilience. We join together in Black love to #SayHerName and declare that #BlackLivesMatter, understanding that our love will disrupt the complicity and corruption of our anti-Black society; GOP, Democrat, and otherwise.
There is no business as usual while Black lives are lost. We will ensure this by any means necessary.
With the strength of our ancestors and for the future of our children,
Black Lives Matter Seattle Co-Founders
Marissa Johnson and Mara Willaford
#BowDownBernie
#SayHerName
#IfIDieInPoliceCustody
‪#‎NotOneMoreDeportation‬
‪#‎FreePalestine‬
‪#‎MikeBrown‬
#BlackLivesMatter

https://www.facebook.com/BLMSeattle/posts/716844418437393

THis is a movement that is going to put together a coalition to do something about our broken justice system?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 12:52 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

snood wrote:
He needs them because he ain't goin anywhere without the black vote

turns out that's not quite the case

So Bernie Sanders doesn't need blacks to win?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 01:43 pm
@snood,
Quote:
“This whole narrative of protesters versus police has been harmful in so many ways, and in many ways very unfair to most of the police officers that I’ve had the honor to work with, because most of them want to be of the community, not in an adversarial position against the community,” McCaskill said. “But the system has created this and now we have got to figure out a way to unwind it.”

McCaskill’s comments — in which she expressed frustration that “a few bad actors… have grabbed the headlines” — came on the one-year anniversary of the protests that engulfed the Missouri town of Ferguson and kicked off a national “Black Lives Matter” movement protesting Brown’s death and the disproportionate number of young black men killed in encounters with police.

“I say all this and it sounds like I am trying to minimize what’s going on there — I don’t mean to do that — but I’ve watched in frustration when the narrative has gotten out ahead of itself in terms of what’s really going on on the ground,” McCaskill said.

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/claire-mccaskill-pitting-protesters-against-126450569701.html

D Senator McCaskill, who is frustrated but still cant quite bring herself to say that BML is making a hash of a good cause.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 01:49 pm
@snood,
that's how the numbers look if he pulls millenials and the L/H vote
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 02:00 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

On the other hand if observers are right that both the young and the black will largely sit this one out then the D's are probably toast no matter what. The fact that Hillary is doing more poorly than expect with white women does not help matters for her. If sanders can get the blacks and the young interested, and if he can convince even more women that they dont have to vote for hillary as a symbol of sister solidarity, he could make an actual run against Hillary.

But I dont think he has any interest in being president, this is all about presenting his ideas. And as I have pointed out Sanders has few political skills, which matters less in a cycle where a lot of the people have given up on politics enough to give Trump a serious look but it still matters.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 02:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

On the other hand if observers are right that both the young and the black will largely sit this one out then the D's are probably toast no matter what.

since that's not what the "observers" are seeing or saying, the Democrats are in decent shape any way it goes
revelette2

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 02:18 pm
@ehBeth,
So far he is not pulling the Latinos vote, I don't see it changing, but I agree it could. So given that, the black vote could matter to Sanders. Personally I think both should like Sanders but for some reason, they don't.

4 Charts That Explain How Latino Voters Feel About 2016 Presidential Candidates
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 02:30 pm
@ehBeth,
You are not paying attention

July 2015

Quote:
Democratic presidential candidates need to give their voters a reason to turn out and vote. A new report found lack of enthusiasm and interest among Democratic voters, including millennials and unmarried women.
Polling data by the sponsored by Democracy Corps and Women's Voices, Woman Vote Action Fund (WVWVAF) recognized conservatives have shown more interest in the 2016 elections than Democrats. Democrats, with 52 percent, rated their 2016 election interest as "10," which is double-digits lower from the 67 percent from Republican voters.

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/63408/20150701/2016-election-polls-democratic-voter-turnout-trouble-millennials-show-lack.htm

And with the way the blacks have been fucked over the last ten years dont be expecting them to turn out either. Especially since I am hearing nothing from BLM about participating in the election process, they seem more interesting in "disrupting".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 02:32 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
It's difficult to underscore the importance of the Latino vote in this upcoming election.

"In this nation, every 30 seconds, a Hispanic turns 18 and becomes an eligible voter," said Javier Palomarez, president and CEO of the United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, in an interview earlier this year with MSNBC's José Díaz-Balart. "So if you want to run for the White House, if you want to assume that role as the highest leader in this nation, you'd do well to begin to engage America's burgeoning Hispanic community."

yup yup yup
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 02:45 pm
@ehBeth,
You have been reading too many D Party press releases

Quote:
Maybe the Latino vote will prove pivotal in 2020, maybe in 2024, but this time around, it is very unlikely to decide who wins the White House. The reason immigration will not be a big issue in 2016 is fairly simple. The states that have a big Hispanic population and have big Electoral College vote numbers—California, Texas, New York, New Jersey and Illinois—will not be in play in the 2016 presidential election

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/07/trump-mexican-comments-120480.html#ixzz3idTRVqYB

The R's thought that the hispanics mattered for a minute, but once they crunched the numbers last year they realized that they dont matter in 2016. The fact is that hispanics often cant vote, and those who can often dont. With the D's once again focused on the black victim vote (watch and learn as Hillary plays that story up) and with the R's making almost no effort to get the hispanic vote they can be expected to stay home as usual. The hispanics feel neglected by both parties, and largely dont see the value of voting for one. The parties would care if there were more congressional districts in play, but that is not the system that has been designed.
0 Replies