Sanders Being Harassed by blacklivesmatter#

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 12:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
Says the guy who wants me to stop cutting and pasting!!!!

Activists ‘Feel the Bern?’

AUG. 17, 2015

Advertisement
Continue reading the main story
[Charles M. Blow]

Charles M. Blow
Share This Page

Email
Tweet
Save
more

Bernie Sanders is an unlikely phenomenon.

He is attracting massive crowds. His message of economic populism has infused his insurgent candidacy with an Obama-like level of electoral enthusiasm, only his base isn’t as broad (As CNN put it last month: “A June CNN/ORC poll showed just 2 percent of black Democrats supporting Sanders, a figure that has remained unchanged since February. Among nonwhite voters overall, Sanders polls at 9 percent, compared to Hillary Clinton’s 61 percent.”)

Still, Sanders’ candidacy has become something of a movement. But two times in recent weeks, Sanders’ appearances at events have been disrupted by supporters of another movement: Black Lives Matter.
Charles M. Blow
Politics, public opinion and social justice.

Activists Confront Hillary Clinton
AUG 19
Police Abuse Is a Form of Terror
AUG 12
‘Black Lives Matter’ and the G.O.P.
AUG 9
Darren Wilson’s Quest for Distance
AUG 6
The DuBose Family: Grieving, but Determined
JUL 30

See More »

The most recent disruption came at an event in Seattle last weekend, where two female Black Lives Matter supporters prevented Sanders from speaking. Sanders has responded well to the most recent disruption, issuing a thorough and utterly impressive “Racial Justice” agenda that liberally quotes from the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and even includes the line: “We need a societal transformation to make it clear that black lives matter, and racism cannot be accepted in a civilized country.” Further reiterating his commitment, he said at a rally in Los Angeles, “There is no president that will fight harder to end institutional racism.”
Photo

But, not all of Sanders’ supporters could muster his magnanimity. Some were outraged. The protesters were seen as disrespectful and indecorous. Sanders was not only seen as a bad target, he was one of the worst targets because he has a long history of civil rights activism, including participating in the 1963 March on Washington and hearing the King himself.

Some irritation was understandable. But some went too far, repaying what they saw as rudeness with what I saw as crudeness. The conspiracy theories began to swirl and the invectives — including some racist and sexist ones — began to flow. It exposed something that isn’t discussed nearly enough: a racial friction on the left.

There were sweeping condemnations of the Black Lives Matter movement itself, a sense that benevolence had been rebuffed, that allies had been alienated. Some people sympathetic to the protesters responded by making a King reference of their own, pointing to this passage from his 1963 “Letter from a Birmingham Jail”:

“I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to ‘order’ than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: ‘I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action’; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a ‘more convenient season.’ Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.”

Advertisement

Advertisement

It all quickly became an arms race of overheated accusations.

But, I must say that I, too, found some of the responses to the protesters troubling.

First, some people said that the disruption had caused the movement to lose their support. This seemed strange and extreme to me. How fragile must your support for black lives have been if a rally’s disruption caused it to crumble?
Recent Comments
Tom G August 17, 2015

I saw one of the women who interrupted Sanders interviewed on CNN. She was in no way eloquent.All lives matter don't they Mr Blow?
Martha Shelley August 17, 2015

Not one of the NY Times columnists is supporting the only candidate who actually cares about racism in this country--Sanders. Not even...
mivogo August 17, 2015

What is troubling is that Charles Blow is defending the fascistic actions of these two self-righteous women. They are using the exact,...

See All Comments

Secondly, centering one’s disapproval of the protesters on white allegiance, rather than black agency, seems to me a kind of cultural narcissism.

The movement, to my mind, isn’t a plea for pity, or appeal to comity, but an exercise in personal and collective advocacy by an oppressed people.

It says to America: You will not dictate the parameters of my expression; you will not assign the grammar of my pain; you will not tell me how I should feel. For these young activists, it’s not ideological but existential; it’s not about a political field but a battlefield, one from which they cannot escape, one on which their very bodies are marked and threatened with destruction.

This is not an esoteric, intellectual debate about best practices, but quite literally a flesh and blood struggle for equal access to liberty and longevity.

In this movement exists a kind of urgency that only proximity to terror can produce, and yes, that urgency can be extreme and discomforting, because it must be. The sedative of all normalcies and niceties are the enemies so long as lives are in danger. The movement is revolutionary out of necessity. Some people operating under those auspices will inevitably employ tactics and select targets with which you disagree. That too is understandable.

But, those who object must be careful not to become “more devoted to ‘order’ than to justice.”

A version of this op-ed appears in print on August 17, 2015, on page A19 of the New York edition with the headline: Activists ‘Feel the Bern?’. Today's Paper|Subscribe
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 12:18 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
But, not all of Sanders’ supporters could muster his magnanimity. Some were outraged. The protesters were seen as disrespectful and indecorous. Sanders was not only seen as a bad target, he was one of the worst targets because he has a long history of civil rights activism, including participating in the 1963 March on Washington and hearing the King himself.

Some irritation was understandable. But some went too far, repaying what they saw as rudeness with what I saw as crudeness

The crowd, and Sanders, was far too nice to them. A loud and continuous "BOOO" was called for, and then if they still would not give up their trespass then they should have been hauled away by the cops in cuffs.
snood

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 12:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I think many of us dont pay NYT, so copy and pasting would have been helpful.

I don't pay NYT. It's on the free website. Did you even try the link?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 12:25 pm
@snood,
Interesting....maybe editorials dont count against our monthly free limit. No I did not try, assumed I would get blocked because I am at my limit of free articles for the month.

Quote:
The movement is revolutionary out of necessity. Some people operating under those auspices will inevitably employ tactics and select targets with which you disagree. That too is understandable.

Abusers always think that their abuse is justified, and I dont give a **** about "I understand why you feel abused"....STOP. ABUSING. ME!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 12:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hell, I'm a charter member of America's Senator becoming an American President from way back and even I disagree with you.

Did you see how condescending and patronizing Hillary Clinton was in her video'd meeting with members of BLM???

Your currant mancrush, the Donald tRump has claimed that BML had better not interrupt him or he'll "throw them off the stage" himself. I can't wait. He's screwed either way, now. I am glad that braying ass cannot keep his racist mouth shut. He claims he's got the black vote locked. Along with the women vote.

Fat. *******. Chance.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 12:31 pm
@snood,
<snicker>
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 01:03 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Did you see how condescending and patronizing Hillary Clinton was in her video'd meeting with members of BLM???

No, but you will recall that I dont think she supports BLM because she is pro state power, she only wants the right optics to get out the black vote.

I have also said that Hillary is very bad a politics, so I would not be shocked if she could not do a shake-down meeting with the hoodlums well.

Quote:
Hell, I'm a charter member of America's Senator becoming an American President from way back and even I disagree with you.

I have no idea what any of this means, but I do know that you are usually wrong.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 01:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
Find an eight year old and have him translate it for you. I can't make it any simpler for you. Have you tried Sylvan or taken an adult reading comprehension class over at the continuing education section of your community collage?

Oh jeez - what if you can't read that? Ok. Try real hard to read this: Hawkeye go get help! Ask for m-e-d-i-c-a-t-i-o-n. Lots of medication.

I wish you luck. Everyone is tiring of your roadblocking the conversation.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 02:59 pm
http://images.dailykos.com/images/159821/large/bo150818.png?1439938457
snood

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 03:10 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Word. Funny shite.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 03:11 pm
@snood,
Just trying to keep it real.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 03:33 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
What is the big deal? Activists have been interrupting political speeches since forever. Hell, they even interrupt Obama. Oh, I forgot, these interrupters were black.
snood

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 03:52 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

What is the big deal? Activists have been interrupting political speeches since forever. Hell, they even interrupt Obama. Oh, I forgot, these interrupters were black.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/DOHHH.jpg
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 03:55 pm
@RABEL222,
BINGO!

Compared to the Teabilly actions at the town halls in 2008, BLM is a bunch of church ladies.
korkamann

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 03:56 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
He claims he's got the black vote locked.

Wow, now that's truly hilarious! Remember during Obama's first term when Trump the JACKASS' polls were rising because he kept repeating over and over Obama was a stealth candidate, a Muslim and born in Kenya? If Trump were not so egotistical he would have felt the rage emanating from the average African American for what he was doing to Obama.

The ordinary Latino is not too happy either; in fact, they loathed the bigmouth windbag and Trump remains Enemy #1.

As a female, I cannot stand the creep. If he were not so wealthy, he would not have been able to attract his trophy wife.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 04:08 pm
@korkamann,
That says he courts women with self esteem issues. I could post really outrageous Trump quotes about women, but they are foul and OBSCENE, really, really rank.

Here's a few that don't quite sink that low - relatively:

"You know, it doesn't really matter what [the media] write as long as you've got a young and beautiful piece of ass." -- from an interview with Esquire, 1991

http://img.huffingtonpost.com//asset/scalefit_630_noupscale/55d4bc341d00006e00145436.png

While @BetteMidler is an extremely unattractive woman, I refuse to say that because I always insist on being politically correct.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/262583859709882369

"All of the women on 'The Apprentice' flirted with me -- consciously or unconsciously. That's to be expected." -- How To Get Rich, 2004
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 04:38 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

BINGO!

Compared to the Teabilly actions at the town halls in 2008, BLM is a bunch of church ladies.

Would you please list the teaparty riots, and instances when they stormed and stole stages? Thanks.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 04:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
Are you really that freaking stupid?????

"I WANT MY COUNTRY BACK!!!! WAH!"

How many more do want?

snood

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 05:04 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Are you really that freaking stupid?????

Yes. AND ignorant. And just as proud as a peacock about it.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 05:35 pm
@snood,
Town hall events are supposed to have audience participation, so long as the people talk when it is their turn then they have behaved. Burning down cities in riots, putting up roadblocks, and stealing stages are not at all staying within the rights of the pissed off. Tea party people sometimes shout at the stage when they are supposed to be listening, not great behaviour, but several orders of magnitude better than what these black hoodlums too.
0 Replies