Sanders Being Harassed by blacklivesmatter#

roger

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2015 03:32 pm
@joefromchicago,
Saw that and thought it was a nice turn of phrase.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2015 09:48 pm
Bernie Sanders’s ambassador to black voters hits the ground running

Source: Washington Post

By Sunday evening, Portland, Ore., fans of Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) had watched their candidate be shamed off a stage by activists who claimed to represent the #BlackLivesMatter movement. There were more rumors, about more protests by people who believed Sanders did not "center black lives" in his presidential campaign. But the 28,000 progressives who'd filled the Moda Center had their nerves calmed by a 25-year-old black woman.

"My name is Symone Sanders," she said, to applause. "I am joining the campaign this week as the national press secretary." More applause. "I have some good information that says there might be a little disruption tonight. So: I wanna be very clear. This campaign is about bringing people together. If there happens to be a disruption tonight, I want everyone in this stadium to respond with a chant."

Symone Sanders led the crowd in a dry run: "We! Stand! Together!" As more Bernie Sanders (no relation) supporters talked about uniting the left, and about "a climate justice movement that works for racial and global economic justice," Symone Sanders stayed onstage. This was not her first time in a room full of people screaming for a president.

The rise of Symone Sanders is a blessing for an insurgent campaign that keeps getting interrupted by activists crying out for racial justice. Just weeks ago, after protesters disrupted Bernie Sanders's Q&A at the progressive Netroots Nation conference, some mocked the candidate by joking about his civil rights cred with the tag #BerniesSoBlack. Nobody's going to try that with Symone Sanders, who left the Campaign for Juvenile Justice for this role. People who've worked with her describe a smart, ambitious progressive who's been engaged in politics since she was a teenager growing up in Omaha. In 2006, a 16-year-old Sanders learned that Bill Clinton would be addressing a year-end fundraiser for Girls Inc., a nonprofit that trains young women to be confident and skilled. Sanders, a Girls Inc. member, told executive director Roberta Wilhelm that she needed to be the one introducing Clinton onstage.

<more>

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/08/10/bernie-sanderss-ambassador-to-black-voters-hits-the-ground-running/
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 04:11 pm
Black Lives Matter protesters try to disrupt Hillary Clinton event
Read more: http://www.politico.com
Source: Politico

KEENE, N.H. — Five demonstrators with the Black Lives Matter movement who had planned to disrupt Hillary Clinton’s campaign event here were barred from entering after they arrived too late to make it past the Secret Service screening. The group made it into the overflow room and watched the event on live stream, eventually meeting with Clinton after the event behind closed doors.

“We have a huge crowd, and there’s an overflow — people the school are trying to figure out how to accommodate,” Clinton said in a possible reference to the group at the beginning of her forum on substance abuse at Keene Middle School. “I hope we’re able to do that.”

Activists told The New Republic that they had planned to interrupt Clinton’s event and ask her about her drug platform, and campaign staffers inside the room were aware of those intentions due to the magazine’s publication.

Because the former secretary of state and first lady has Secret Service protection, her events are typically sealed once she enters the building — and the group of activists apparently did not make it to the event by that time. They were standing under a tent outside the school doors as the event began, but eventually made it into the building to watch in a side room.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/black-lives-matter-protesters-attempt-disrupt-hillary-clinton-2016-event-121269.html
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 04:39 pm
Just for the record, BLM movement members did not start disrupting political events with Bernie Sanders' campaign.

Here is a story about them disrupting an Al Sharpton NAN (National Action Network) event back in April - they were demanding that BLM voices got heard, and not just the the 'old guard' civil rights voices:

http://gothamist.com/2015/04/07/black_lives_matter_movement.php

Here is an instance back in December 2014 where they tried to interrupt the Millions March NYC event:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/eric-garner-ferguson-missouri-protesters-converge-on-washington/

The people saying BLM shouldn't bother Sanders because he's the only one who would try to help them might be presuming a bit too much.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 04:41 pm
@snood,
Quote:
The people saying BLM shouldn't bother Sanders because he's the only one who would try to help them might be presuming a bit too much.

A better argument is that if they want to be on stage on front of people then the thing to do is to organize an event. Taking someone else event by force is not acceptable.
snood

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 04:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

A better argument is that if they want to be on stage on front of people then the thing to do is to organize an event. Taking someone else event by force is not acceptable.

Not acceptable? To who? The object of their disrupting protests is not to be socially pleasing. You didn't feel this strongly when white guys with assault rifles showed up at Obama events, I bet. That was totally acceptable to you, I bet.
snood

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 04:50 pm
Here's a story about Hillary meeting with BLM members in private, after they showed up to interrupt her event too late to get past security.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/black-lives-matter-protesters-attempt-disrupt-hillary-clinton-2016-event-121269.html
snood

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 04:56 pm
This thread is a good example of how my views can change as a story develops. I started out feeling sort of aggravated at the BLM people for doing something boneheaded. I now feel more strongly that the plight of black people experiencing violence and death at the hands of the police has to get and keep the attention of the public, by whatever means are available and non-violent.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 05:05 pm
I think of Chicago.

snood

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 05:12 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I think of Chicago.

Chicago - you mean '68?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 05:29 pm
@snood,
Yes.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 05:31 pm
@snood,
I knew Hillary was wary of keeping them at a distance. Now locked behind closed doors. If you want government to be transparent and forthright - this is not your candidate.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 05:38 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

This thread is a good example of how my views can change as a story develops. I started out feeling sort of aggravated at the BLM people for doing something boneheaded. I now feel more strongly that the plight of black people experiencing violence and death at the hands of the police has to get and keep the attention of the public, by whatever means are available and non-violent.

However I dont give you to right to forfeit my rights to thugs. If I show up to a Bernie Sanders event then I have the right to hear him. The thugs can as they did in 68 have the right to demonstrate outside of the event, but not to take over the event on the inside. Bernie Sanders indicates to me that he is not the right guy for the job when he lets thugs destroy his events, he is refusing to make a stand for democracy. And a good cause does not excuse thuggery.

You are the guy who excuses thieves for robbing you (AND ME !) if you decide that they " need it more than we do". I dont, I draw the line at asking and/or arguing, there is no taking by force in my world of righteousness.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 05:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
A point to remember about 68 is that the riots in chicago did mess up the D party, they handed the election to Nixon. We are already a very fearful people, if we get the idea that law and order is breaking down we will vote for anyone who we think can and will restore it. So far it does not seem like the left understands this, they think that a quality victim story from the thugs is a prophylactic. It most certainly is not.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 05:49 pm
@snood,
Not acceptable to me. I don't like mob action, and this comes way too close
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 06:05 pm
@snood,
I have to say I'm out of patience with it too. Once - I was ok with, but at least Bernie's campaign has invited BLM to be a part of what he's doing - talk with him about the prison and police reform he'd already been working on...

I know the BLM movement is a big rolling thing with different heads and feet, but I see NO reason for them to continue to try put on antics and be rude to people who've been knocking themselves out for BLM before it was a hashtag.

I realize some black people take offense to that - and even though I've been an ally, I'm taking offense to some of their tactics.

There was a woman last night on Twitter who said Bernie better call off his minions because blacks were getting tired of the retribution from the Portland protest. As if! They think they can voice their opinions and I can't.

Haha. Please don't try to sell that **** on the streets.

I hope they don't lose all their support because of this ridiculous attitude.
snood

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 06:13 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I have to say I'm out of patience with it too. Once - I was ok with, but at least Bernie's campaign has invited BLM to be a part of what he's doing - talk with him about the prison and police reform he'd already been working on...

I know the BLM movement is a big rolling thing with different heads and feet, but I see NO reason for them to continue to try put on antics and be rude to people who've been knocking themselves out for BLM before it was a hashtag.

I realize some black people take offense to that - and even though I've been an ally, I'm taking offense to some of their tactics.

There was a woman last night on Twitter who said Bernie better call off his minions because blacks were getting tired of the retribution from the Portland protest. As if! They think they can voice their opinions and I can't.

Haha. Please don't try to sell that **** on the streets.

I hope they don't lose all their support because of this ridiculous attitude.

A couple of things. What was Sanders doing for BLM before they were a hashtag? Your irritation or lack of patience with the national movement that was started in the aftermath of another black man being killed without accountability by police is noted.
snood

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 06:15 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I knew Hillary was wary of keeping them at a distance. Now locked behind closed doors. If you want government to be transparent and forthright - this is not your candidate.

Well, since you originally thought they were Hillary operatives or something, I doubt any reaction she has to BLM is going to meet with your approval.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 06:18 pm
@Lash,
I agree.

The idea that 10,000 gathered to hear a candidate can be hijacked by 3 people with any cause is ridiculous. This isn't protest... this is extortion.

There is a big difference between a legitimate civil rights movement, such as that of Dr. King, and the BLM movement. Dr. King integrated lunch counters and marched to Selma with purposeful protests. In case his action was directed at accomplishing justice.

The BLM protests aren't directed at justice. They are blocking traffic, they are interrupting political rallies (not to mention the accompanying protests that are destroying stores). Blocking traffic is not a goal... it is designed only to annoy people.

The march to Selma was designed to register people to vote.

Do you see the difference?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 06:22 pm
@maxdancona,
BLM: " Anything that gets us what we demand is OK".

MLK:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/1c/65/82/1c658260d4697e8f5fca3415062276c6.jpg