The Case For Biden

RABEL222

Mon 24 Jun, 2019 01:44 pm
@oralloy,
Try it sometime Ollie. Maybe you can stop peeing on the toilet seat and the floor.
oralloy

Mon 24 Jun, 2019 03:33 pm
@RABEL222,
If any feminist fruitcake tries to tell me to pee sitting down, I'm going to stand in their living room and pee on their couch like it's a urinal.
hightor

Tue 25 Jun, 2019 02:31 am
Joe Biden Doesn’t Look So Electable in Person

He may be a likable white man, but his performance on the trail doesn’t inspire confidence.

Quote:
On Saturday, Joe Biden was one of 20 presidential candidates to speak at a Planned Parenthood forum in Columbia, S.C., held right next door to the state’s Democratic convention. It was just a couple of weeks after he’d reversed his longtime support for the Hyde Amendment, which bans federal funding for abortion. One of the moderators asked him what he’d say to pro-choice voters who have concerns about his mixed record on the issue.

This was part of his answer: “The fact of the matter is that we’re in a situation where mortality rate for poor women and black women, here in this state, 26.5 percent of the, 24, 25.6 people, who of 100,000 who need, who end up dying as a consequence of birth, it’s absolutely absurd.” (He was referring to South Carolina’s maternal mortality rate, which is 26.5 maternal deaths per 100,000 births.)

Seeing Biden on the stump often feels like watching an actor who can’t quite remember his lines. Even if you don’t support him, it’s hard not to feel anxious on his behalf.

I had the chance to watch Biden campaign three times over the weekend, when almost the entire Democratic field descended on Columbia. On Friday he appeared at the famous fish fry held by Congressman Jim Clyburn. The next day he was at the Planned Parenthood event and at the state convention.

His performance was unnerving. I don’t want Biden to be the nominee for ideological reasons, but polls show him far ahead, and if he’s going to be the Democratic Party’s standard-bearer against Donald Trump, I want him to be a strong one. He didn’t seem strong in South Carolina.

Donald Trump, of course, also speaks in gibberish, but with a bombastic unearned confidence; rather than flailing around for the right figure he makes one up. Biden, by contrast, was just shaky. And while there’s great affection for him on the ground, there’s little excitement. You can see why his campaign has been limiting his public events and why he’s been avoiding the press.

It’s true that ordinary voters don’t seem to care about the gaffes that obsess cable TV commentators. No one I spoke to in Columbia was bothered by Biden waxing nostalgic about his civil relations with segregationist senators; most people hadn’t even heard about it. And his ability to forge personal connections remains impressive. At the fish fry, his remarks were surprisingly short, but he stayed until almost midnight talking to attendees one-on-one on the rope line.

At the Planned Parenthood event, each of the candidates was asked a question by a preselected audience member. A 32-year-old Army veteran named Peshka Calloway, from Parkersburg, W.Va., stood up and, voice cracking, told Biden about being sexually assaulted by her abusive husband not long after having a baby.

She became pregnant and needed an abortion, and later needed two more. Each was paid for by West Virginia’s Medicaid program, which stopped funding abortion last year. She wanted to know what Biden intended to do to protect and expand abortion access for people like her.

“First of all, a lot of you women, maybe a lot of men out here, don’t realize what incredible courage it took to stand up and say that,” he said. He spoke about his work on domestic violence, and then asked if they could talk privately afterward.

For some of the activists there, the moment was another Biden screw-up — they saw him mansplaining rape trauma to a room full of feminists. But Calloway, whom I spoke to after she met with Biden, was pleased with their discussion. “He’s centered himself on fighting for victims of assault and domestic violence victims,” she said, adding, “I felt relatively empowered in that space with him.”

That’s Biden at his best — undisciplined, but with a big heart. But personal warmth won’t be enough without the ability to inspire masses of people.

At the convention, several groups of chanting supporters marched their candidates into the auditorium. On Saturday morning, Kamala Harris came down an escalator accompanied by a cheering throng and a high school drum line. Later, boisterous backers of Cory Booker streamed in behind him from one end of the convention center, only to meet dozens of raucous Beto O’Rourke fans coming from the other. They came together in the middle, attempting to drown each other out with chants like rival gangs in a good-natured musical.

Shortly after that, a group of Biden supporters gathered to march into the main hall. Biden wasn’t with them, but they planned to enter as he appeared onstage. There were 20 or 30 people, a smaller group than those accompanying Harris, Booker or O’Rourke, and despite a few earnest woo-hoos, they weren’t nearly as loud as the others.

An ability to draw crowds isn’t everything — a tepid vote counts the same as a passionate one. Biden’s supporters are older than those of other Democrats, which gives his campaign less visible energy but a more reliable voting base. Still, as recent elections have shown, enthusiasm matters. Anyone convinced that Biden is the safe choice should go see him for themselves.

nyt/goldberg
georgeob1

Tue 25 Jun, 2019 08:32 am
@hightor,
Interesting observations. Thanks.

I don't think the advantages of a Biden Candidacy in the eyes of Democrat leaders involves his skin color: rather it is (In my opinion) the fact that, unlike the large collection of other announced candidates, he wasn't presumed to be advocating crazy policies, likely to inflame opposition, and, equally important, would be seen by voters to have more gravitas than any of the others.

Unfortunately for both Biden and the party, the prominence gained by Sanders and his imitators has moved the discourse among Democrats so far to the left that Biden has ended up looking a little silly in his efforts to speak the new political language. Moreover in this same process the weaknesses that limited his own political aspirations (until being chosen as VP by Obama) have again been brought to center stage.

So far it looks to me that the forthcoming debates and competition among this group of candidates is more likely to drive the emerging party platform farther to the extreme left than to the more moderate outcome the party leaders may have hoped for.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 25 Jun, 2019 03:26 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

If any feminist fruitcake tries to tell me to pee sitting down, I'm going to stand in their living room and pee on their couch like it's a urinal.

Honestly folks, is there anything more disturbing than the notion that there actually people out there that care how some individual in Detroit cares to toilet himself??? What a frigging ego.
RABEL222

Tue 25 Jun, 2019 03:40 pm
@oralloy,
If you know where I live try it.
Lash

Sun 30 Jun, 2019 01:17 pm
More wonderful statements from Biden. (Somebody should be counting his firestorm gaffes)

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/not-in-seattle-wealthy-donors-shout-down-biden-after-gay-waiter-comment

'Not in Seattle!': Wealthy donors shout down Biden after 'gay waiter' comment
Sturgis

Sun 30 Jun, 2019 02:25 pm
@Lash,
Seeing as how the Washington Examiner is rather rightward in its leaning, I had to double check about Biden. Yup. He really did! Meanwhile Seattle has a long record of gay rights activism.

The man is living in a delusional past and his doing this during World Pride Month, just cuts even deeper.
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 30 Jun, 2019 03:07 pm
I think what bothers me most is his refusal to acknowledge and apologize.
snood

Sun 30 Jun, 2019 04:04 pm
I just saw a comment I found funny as hell.

“Biden needs to smile more; show he’s likable and electable, or he’ll never snag the VP spot on the Kamala Harris ticket.”
- Jennifer Rubin
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sun 30 Jun, 2019 08:59 pm
@Lash,
Perhaps like the Red Guards of the Cultural Revolution, they should send him to a "Reeducation Camp"
Sturgis

Sat 20 Jul, 2019 01:43 pm
In other Bidenish news, while Biden continues sitting pretty (though less so than he once did), it seems many Obama financial supporters are shoving him aside in favor of newcomer Pete Buttigieg.

Joe Biden dominates...Pete Buttigieg makes inroads with Obama's elite bundlers
www.cnn.com/2019/07/20/politics/obama-bundlers-like-joe-biden-pete-buttigieg/index.html
Lash

Sun 21 Jul, 2019 05:42 am
@georgeob1,
George, you strike me as a man who doesn’t lie often, but who would cop to it when properly busted.

Me, too. I just don’t possess whatever gaslighting cog enables people to lie, looking you in the eye—when you both know it’s a lie.

I do, however, rhyme like a MF.

Biden is bold-face lying about stuff with reams of photographic evidence and text evidence by a couple of his sniffing victims. I just want to slap his botoxed face until it explodes.
RABEL222

Sun 21 Jul, 2019 08:20 pm
@Lash,
And you think Bernie can deliver on all the crap he has promise? Their both politicians who lie as a matter of fact. One has to choose who has lied the least. And it ant St Bernie.
0 Replies

Brand X

Thu 8 Aug, 2019 01:48 pm
Michael Tracey

Verified account

@mtracey
46m46 minutes ago
More
I've been re-listening to Dem debates from 2007-2008 and Biden is several standard deviations less coherent now. He always flubbed his words and stumbled a bit, but it's gotten appreciably worse. At a certain point, I don't see how the other candidates can pretend not to notice
hightor

Thu 8 Aug, 2019 02:16 pm
@Brand X,
This was mentioned in the New York Times column above. And yes, it's disturbing. Trump scares me for the same reasons. But, hey, Reagan managed to hang in there for eight years. Biden just needs a vigorous V.P. — like Sanders or Warren!
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 8 Aug, 2019 04:03 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
Honestly folks, is there anything more disturbing than the notion that there actually people out there that care how some individual in Detroit cares to toilet himself???

Feminists are really creepy like that.

What's this nonsense about Detroit? Or is the idea of "more than one place in a state" too complicated for you to get a handle on?

glitterbag wrote:
What a frigging ego.

Some of us just don't put up with creepy feminists telling us how to pee.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 8 Aug, 2019 04:07 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
If you know where I live try it.

Why I would voluntarily visit someone like you?
RABEL222

Thu 8 Aug, 2019 04:39 pm
@oralloy,
Your the one talking about peeing on peoples couch. Not me.
oralloy

Thu 8 Aug, 2019 04:49 pm
@RABEL222,
True, but that doesn't really answer my question.
0 Replies