The Case For Biden

Olivier5

Mon 3 Jun, 2019 05:52 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I want a candidate who plays better with Republicans.

That's what Obama has tried for 8 long years. The result was Trump.

Don't play nice. Vote them repukes out of office, period.
oralloy

Mon 3 Jun, 2019 05:55 am
@Olivier5,
Obama didn't try very hard to work with Republicans.

The main reason why we have Trump is because Obama wasted all of his second-term political capital in the 2013 gun control debacle.
Olivier5

Mon 3 Jun, 2019 06:00 am
@oralloy,
It's the repukes who didn't want to work with Obama, rather. And guess what, they will not want to work with Joe Biden either. Mentally speaking, Max still lives in the 1970's...

There are many reasons for Trump. One is the general stupidity of the electorate. Another is Russian meddling. Yet another was Clinton's lack of talent. But I do think Obama has his share of responsibility, in that he peddled obsolete ideas of bipartisanism, as if the Republican party still had any intellectual honesty, and did not cultivate the next generation of leaders within the Democratic party. Now the Dems rely on a 70-something candidate, Biden, who in essence is selling them the "good old days" but nothing innovative; nothing modern, nothing creative.
farmerman

Mon 3 Jun, 2019 06:01 am
@oralloy,
he spent most of his time trying to fix the crappola of the previous dildo president.
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 3 Jun, 2019 06:15 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Vote them repukes out of office, period.

Agreed. But making the vote a clear rejection of Trumpism could be enhanced by a smattering of moderate Republicans joining in the fun.
oralloy

Mon 3 Jun, 2019 06:20 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
It's the repukes who didn't want to work with Obama, rather.

That is incorrect. The Republicans repeatedly tried to work with Obama. But Obama was such an extremist that he always undermined the negotiations.

Olivier5 wrote:
There are many reasons for Trump. One is the general stupidity of the electorate. Another is Russian meddling. Yet another was Clinton's lack of talent.

Trump was elected because Obama wasted all of his political capital throwing a tantrum at the NRA, and as a consequence was unable to achieve anything meaningful in his second term.

Olivier5 wrote:
But I do think Obama has his share of responsibility, in that he peddled obsolete ideas of bipartisanism, as if the Republican party still had any intellectual honesty, and did not cultivate the next generation of leaders within the Democratic party.

Obama did no such thing. The Republicans were eager to compromise if only Obama had been willing.

Olivier5 wrote:
Now the Dems rely on a 70-something candidate, Biden, who in essence is selling them the "good old days" but nothing innovative; nothing modern, nothing creative.

It doesn't matter. The Democrats are going to be out of power for 18 more years no matter who they nominate.
Olivier5

Mon 3 Jun, 2019 06:27 am
@oralloy,
You're still playing video games.
Olivier5

Mon 3 Jun, 2019 06:29 am
@hightor,
Trump is but a symptom; he's not the disease. You should aim higher than just getting rid of a symptom.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 3 Jun, 2019 06:34 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
You're still playing video games.

Not at the moment. At the moment I'm posting facts that you find inconvenient.

Maybe a bit later today.
Olivier5

Mon 3 Jun, 2019 07:45 am
@oralloy,
No, you're playing video games. It's just that you're not aware of it.
engineer

Mon 3 Jun, 2019 08:06 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Perhaps the Democrat leadership sees the agenda put forward by the author, and shared by the large collection of progressive candidates, none of whom can get past Sanders in the Polls, as a losing strategy for both the election and the governance of the country in the very unlikely event that any of them wins.

I think you make a good point (perhaps inadvertently) that Sanders is hurting the progressive wing by pulling support from progressives who don't have all that Sanders baggage. If Sanders stepped out, a different progressive could present a clearer contrast with Biden.

I saw a poll of Democrat primary voters by age and what is happening was very clear. Younger voters are all about Sanders, older voters are overwhelmingly in favor of Biden. Sanders has almost no traction there.
Older voters almost always pick the candidate.
georgeob1

Mon 3 Jun, 2019 08:31 am
@engineer,
I find it hard to be confident just where Sander's support would go were he to disappear. That the 25% or so of polled Democrats who appear to have continued their support for him, in the face of the emergence of 20 plus new candidates, most of whom are advocating very similar agendas, remains a stunning fact. I readily agree that the Democrat Party leadership would choose Biden over Sanders in a choice between the two, and that Biden would likely be a stronger candidate than Sanders in the contest for the Presidency.

The remaining alternative remains the emergence of one or two of the crowd of progressives below Sanders. However, so far there are no indications of that happening . Instead each new candidate appears to get his/her week or two in the political spotlight and then fades into the background (remember Beto?). The months ahead, and the initial state primaries, certainly offer opportunities for a change in this situation, but it is more than odd that nothing like it has occurred yet.

This is a serious dilemma for the Democrats, and I suspect the scenario you described leading to Biden candidacy may well be the result.

That said, in a Trump vs Biden contest I would bet on a Trump victory.
livinglava

Mon 3 Jun, 2019 08:48 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

That said, in a Trump vs Biden contest I would bet on a Trump victory.

The Democrats can't win now because solutions like the Green New Deal contain a lot of good policy ideas that would be unpopular with the majority of people. Until the people are ripe for good policies, there's no point in electing a government that wants to implement them. Better to let the free market do its work until people reach a point of actually wanting new policies that will save them from themselves.
revelette1

Mon 3 Jun, 2019 08:51 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
John Foster, a party activist from the city, voted for Sanders in 2016 but said he’s searching for a different voice and a different candidate — with the priority being someone who can unseat President Donald Trump.

“I’m not a ‘Bernie Bro,’” he said, adding, “Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden feel a little tired to me.”

Foster said Warren piqued his interest because she appears substantive and ready to offer more details about her plans for change. “I really appreciate her economic justice package and a lot of what I’ve read on her taxation and education proposals,’’ he said.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/02/bernie-sanders-moveon-california-1349552
farmerman

Mon 3 Jun, 2019 08:57 am
@revelette1,
A thought.
The vice presidential running mate will be srutinized more closely than anyone since FDRs third Term
0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 3 Jun, 2019 08:58 am
@livinglava,
I have more confidence in the wisdom of people and voters than evidently do you.
livinglava

Mon 3 Jun, 2019 09:05 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I evidently have more confidence in the wisdom of people and voters than evidently do you.

At best, every voter's mind and decision-process is independent. At worst, their independence is subtly undermined by interests whose influences they fail to control in order to make an unbiased decision.

That is the reality of all decision-making involving all people.

You don't need to have confidence in the wisdom of people because, even when people fail, you can rest assured that there is always a higher power whose wisdom with ultimately prevail in the end, regardless of any strife that may occur prior to that happening.
georgeob1

Mon 3 Jun, 2019 09:12 am
@livinglava,
Just what is this "higher power" ?
livinglava

Mon 3 Jun, 2019 09:16 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Just what is this "higher power" ?

Things that happen outside, beyond, and despite anything that we humans intentionally do to control our own destinies.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Mon 3 Jun, 2019 01:00 pm
@Olivier5,
Ollie is getting close to eliminating stupid voters by advocating that every family should own 4 fully automatic weapons with hand holds.