ATHEISTS ONLY

neologist

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 10:40 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:
Spurious reasoning. Regardless of the conundrums we uncover we still know more than we did.
Of course we know more. We also have more to learn. A lot more.
hingehead wrote:
Wisdom is admitting that you don't know.
I agree. I'm sure Frank would agree with you, also.
hingehead wrote:
I do enjoy your whinges about my pics. They are achieving the KPIs I set for them.
You are proud of your positive thumbs? Good for you. Have you taken into account where you are posting? I never click down, BTW.
hingehead

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 03:13 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Of course we know more. We also have more to learn. A lot more.

So this is your way of saying DeGrasse Tyson wasn't offering a self-defeating argument?
hingehead

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 03:14 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
You are proud of your positive thumbs? Good for you. Have you taken into account where you are posting? I never click down, BTW.

Oh darling! Did you spill something on your party dress?
neologist

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 04:34 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:
So this is your way of saying DeGrasse Tyson wasn't offering a self-defeating argument?
Hmm. I supposed you would have noticed Tyson's idea of an "ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance" is pure hogwash and probably not written by Tyson.
neologist

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 04:36 pm
@hingehead,
Oh, did I hurt your feelings?
It was unintended.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 04:47 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

hingehead wrote:
Hmm. I supposed you would have noticed Tyson's idea of an "ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance" is pure hogwash and probably not written by Tyson.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 05:21 pm
That Neo sure is a major asshole. It appears he has not yet absorbed the idea that this thread is not to be taken seriously. He's still looking for a pissing contest.
FBM

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 05:25 pm
Maybe we could start a matching-but-opposite thread, keying off the title of this one: A Theist's Only...nah.
neologist

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 05:34 pm
@Setanta,
I'm sorry. I continue to read this thread because many comments make sense. It's a steel sharpens steel thing.

Now I see where FBM has discovered the source of Tyson's quote. I haven't enough bandwith to view it on my phone, so I'll assume he actually did say as much. In which case, he misspoke.
FBM

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 05:35 pm
@neologist,
He's just describing the god of the gaps fallacy. What's wrong with that?
neologist

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 05:41 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
Maybe we could start a matching-but-opposite thread, keying off the title of this one: A Theist's Only...nah.
Laughing
We've had an endless parade of "theists" attempting to start such threads who subsequently shrivel, dry up, and blow away in a2k heat.

Ain't y'all glad I hang around? I, at least like every one here.
FBM

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 05:44 pm
@neologist,
I'm glad you're here, neo. You at least present a more thoughtful challenge than people like...what's-his-name...who just repeat over and over and over again, "But I KNOW God is real and here's a blurry photo of an angel to prove it!" http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/ewacky.gif
neologist

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 05:48 pm
@FBM,
Pax
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 05:48 pm
@FBM,
Is he still here? I finally had to collapse that thread. Maybe put him on ignore too.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 05:58 pm
Nah, I think Punches gave up the ghost, finally.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 06:12 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
He's just describing the god of the gaps fallacy. What's wrong with that?
Nothing.
But god of the gaps is strictly non sequitur:
Mom says "Who spilled milk on the floor?"
Junior says "I dunno. Dog did it"
hingehead

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 06:31 pm
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0f/f5/ad/0ff5ad43e9a00b46f3bf831d9e1c39b6.jpg
hingehead

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 06:36 pm
@neologist,
Quote:

You insist on moving his frame of reference to science, but he was talking about historical religious claims that what we don't understand is down to god. An omniscient god who didn't even inform them of all the new stuff science has since discovered we don't know.

No, no hurt feelings here - you were just seemed to be getting a little passive aggressive about thumbs on pictures. I could hear a little whine in my hopelessly large and unstructured imagination.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 06:45 pm
@hingehead,
Ooooh, anyone know what library that is?
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 06:47 pm
@hingehead,
http://www.breslev.co.il/filesupload/articles/articalimage/16026.jpg

0 Replies