When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

cicerone imposter

Fri 29 Jul, 2016 11:21 am
@snood,
Obama's approval rating is at 52%. That means the majority of Americans approve of his performance.

Compared to Kennedy, Obama is doing pretty good.
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/01/12/presidential-job-approval-ratings-from-ike-to-obama/

What has Finn accomplished on the national level? On a2k, I put Finn at 25%, and I think I'm being generous.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 29 Jul, 2016 11:39 am
Quote:
A three-judge panel of the U.S Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit has found North Carolina's controversial GOP-backed voting restrictions were intended to discriminate against African American voters.

The Friday ruling is a huge win for voting rights activists in a closely watched case in a potential 2016 swing state. The appeals court reversed the ruling of a district court siding with the state.

"In holding that the legislature did not enact the challenged provisions with
discriminatory intent, the court seems to have missed the forest in carefully surveying the many trees," the opinion said.

In the opinion, the panel of judges said that the law restricted voting in ways that "disproportionately affected African Americans" and that its provisions targeted "African Americans with almost surgical precision." It said the state's defense of the law was "meager."
http://bit.ly/2ai90zU

Well, yeah. There's your modern GOP.
snood

Fri 29 Jul, 2016 11:44 am
@blatham,
That's my home state! Yee-ha!
edgarblythe

Fri 29 Jul, 2016 01:21 pm
https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/13669611_912077798902105_506919297980595636_n.jpg?oh=dc8fc00b7e20633011fb89b22084581a&oe=582B2221
revelette2

Fri 29 Jul, 2016 01:53 pm
D.N.C. Hack Raises a Frightening Question: What’s Next?
parados

Fri 29 Jul, 2016 01:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
OMG.. it's a horrible conspiracy. Democrats actually work with other Democrats.
blatham

Fri 29 Jul, 2016 01:59 pm
@snood,
Quote:
That's my home state! Yee-ha!

I did not know. This really is one of the most despicable strategies the GOP is using, and it is using it wherever it can.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 29 Jul, 2016 02:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
Bit of a stretch there, edgar. Any idea who the "proud canadian" is?
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 29 Jul, 2016 02:14 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
D.N.C. Hack Raises a Frightening Question: What’s Next?

Yes. A tad scary, this.
Blickers

Fri 29 Jul, 2016 02:27 pm
@blatham,
Perhaps, but even scarier is that Trump can say repeatedly that he is ready to pull out of NATO right now and that Putin is a good guy, and not have his poll numbers drop to single digits. Check this short video out, especially from the 0:44 second mark.

Where's the outrage?
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 29 Jul, 2016 03:02 pm
@revelette2,
First a few notable excerpts:

Quote:
The party’s chairwoman, Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz, had to step down after party officials were shown to have taken sides during the primaries.

Even the NY Times acknowledges that the DNC had done what it swore it hadn't. Why, though, would anyone be surprised by this? What is more surprising to me is the way Reince Priebus actually did manage to keep the RNC from throwing it's weight to one of the candidates. I think it's safe to say that for much of the primary season Reince and his underlings really didn't want Trump to come out the winner, but there's no evidence (or allegations) that the RNC actively supported one candidate over another. His major early accomplishment was to get Trump to sign the pledge to support the eventual nominee. A lot of people, including me, considered Trump taking the pledge to be about as binding for him as tissue paper, but I didn't expect "principled" men like Jeb Bush, John Kasich or even Ted Cruz to renege on the promise they fervently wanted Trump to make.

Quote:
Mr. Segal said that the stolen data ( from Office of Personnel Management) included information on government employees’ sex lives, relationships, finances, contacts with foreign governments and a host of other private details.

The OPM keeps information on government employees' sex lives? Anyone else find this concerning?

I get why they would want to know if someone in a sensitive spot might be vulnerable to blackmail by a foreign government, but if they found they were, why would they go ahead and hire them or give them the post?

If it was decided to go ahead with the hire, why keep the information in a file? Irrespective of hacking threats, why would the government need to retain a file on an employee's sex life? My Goodness, it can't be because government officials liked the idea of having leverage over employees, could it? The back-ground checks may have been well intentioned, but the retention of the "dirt?"

Look, this kind of stuff has been going on as long as people have vied with one another for power in a process that precluded them from just killing each other.

American politicians, including those in governmental positions, have done it for a very long time. The only thing new about this is the way it plays out in the Digital Age.

1) Governments have means of obtaining and retaining massive amounts of very detailed data on their employees, and their citizens

2) Governments have the technological means of stealing all this data from thousands of miles away. No need for on the ground agents who might get caught.

I'm not sure why, but it's not gotten much attention that whomever hacked the DNC Server, stole data from their "Opposition Research" files aka "Whatever dirt they could find on opponents." Both sides engage in this process, although the Dems seem much better at it than the GOP.

There is no reason to believe that the Russians wouldn't have been delighted to find "dirt" on Trump. For all we know, they could be using the hacked info to assist Trump in getting elected because they think they have more leverage on him that they would Clinton. I have no idea as to whether this is the case, it's speculation used to point out that the hack and the Wikileaks data dump is most likely part of a plan that goes far beyond simplistic reasoning like "Putin hates Hillary," or "Putin like Trump."

Finally this story underscores the need for better and better Cyber-Defense. Four Star General Jack Keane was on TV a couple of days ago telling his interviewer that the US is far and away the best Cyber-Attacker in the world. He said Russia is second and China third. This actually is good to learn, however if we can't sufficiently defend ourselves against #'s 2 & 3, it's not that great an advantage. Having 1,000 more nukes than the other guy sounds great unless the other guy already has 50,000 of them. Unless the guy with 51,000 nukes can mount an effective defense against 50,000, the extra destructive power is fairly moot.

A largely impenetrable Cyber-defense is obviously not a simple thing to build or we wouldn't be seeing significant hacks of private and public sector systems every year.

However this doesn't mean, as as actually been argued by at least one pundit and one A2K member, that it doesn't really matter if the Secretary of State sent and received classified information on a private e-mail server with less protection than G-Mail. The incredibly ridiculous argument being that since the Russians seem to be able to break in everywhere, why bother to try and keep the stuff secret? To top it off, the argument was made that some canny folks in the State Department took to using private e-mail as a way to fool those nasty Russian hackers.

Defense of digital data is obviously a lot less easy than concocting crazy defenses for the gross negligence of one's choice for the next president.
Baldimo

Fri 29 Jul, 2016 03:28 pm
@Blickers,
I'll say this much. You guys hate govt spending on the military, so wouldn't pulling the US out of NATO save the US some money to fund other area's of the govt? After all, we spend more on the NATO experience than any other NATO country. Wouldn't you want the money better spent here in the US instead of on the evil military?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 29 Jul, 2016 03:40 pm
@Blickers,
I don't think Trump ever heard of the United Nations.

The UN Charter sets out four main purposes: Maintaining worldwide peace and security. Developing relations among nations. Fostering cooperation between nations in order to solve economic, social, cultural, or humanitarian international problems.
What is the United Nations? - Definition, History, Members & Purpose ...
study.com/academy/.../what-is-the-united-nations-definition-history-members-purpose.h...

And he lives in New York?
0 Replies

revelette2

Fri 29 Jul, 2016 03:42 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Finally this story underscores the need for better and better Cyber-Defense.

I agree, the more and sooner the better.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Fri 29 Jul, 2016 03:48 pm
@joefromchicago,
0 Replies

RABEL222

Fri 29 Jul, 2016 03:49 pm
@giujohn,
The ones Putin gave him?
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 29 Jul, 2016 03:57 pm
My UGA poetry prof sent this message to the DNC. I added my sig. With a million or two more.

http://youtu.be/WlP0m39xdI0

Not this time!
0 Replies

RABEL222

Fri 29 Jul, 2016 04:00 pm
@parados,
Quote:
OMG.. it's a horrible conspiracy. Democrats actually work with other Democrats.

It takes the pressure off of Donald and the Russians. We know Donalds hero Putin would never lie.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Fri 29 Jul, 2016 04:20 pm
@snood,
Quote:
. Can you elucidate, just a tad?

On the one side we had the media running around following Trump. This effectively shoved all the Republicans aside. A couple of them were even sane and had some interesting ideas.

On the other side, the Democrats had anointed Ms. Clinton a while back. They did not want anybody else to step on her heels. The recent revelation of the DNC e-mails shows an even seedier picture. Here too, nobody else really had a chance.

In both situations the media tampered with a process. They rarely gave coverage to anyone other than the two figures we ended up with. Now we approach an election with what may be the two most disliked candidates to ever appear on a ballot.

I am not a Clinton fan, however she is the better choice. At least she is able to speak sanely and to understand foreign and domestic policies.
cicerone imposter

Fri 29 Jul, 2016 04:25 pm
@Sturgis,
In addition to Clinton's understanding of foreign and domestic policies, she has devoted her life to helping others.