When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

blatham

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 08:07 pm
@snood,
Have you read Perlstein's The Long Con? This is helpful explanatory/historical information http://bit.ly/2arInVL
snood

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 08:12 pm
@blatham,
I have not, but I will. Thanks for the link.
blatham

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 08:18 pm
@snood,
Rick Perlstein is always worth attending to. He is one of the best young US historians I know of. His subject is the conservative movement, most particularly, so he's a perfect guy for you to answer the question of how we got to where we now are. And he's a great writer, very easy to read even though the books are all sizable and heavily documented. He's brilliant.
0 Replies

snood

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 08:40 pm
@blatham,
Wow, I see what you mean about it being explanatory. This passage reminds me of the "crooked Hillary" narrative they work so hard at keeping going:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The distance from observable reality is rhetorically required; indeed, that you haven’t quite seen anything resembling any of this in your everyday life is a kind of evidence all by itself. It just goes to show how diabolical the enemy has become. He is unseen; but the redeemer, the hero who tells you the tale, can see the innermost details of the most baleful conspiracies. Trust him.
Send him your money. Surrender your will—and the monster shall be banished for good.

=====================================================
They can say whatever ridiculous hyperbolic mess they want about Hillary, and the fact that no one can detect evidence of what they hell they are concocting is a kind of evidence all by itself.

When Trump says, "Believe me!" I guess they do.
blatham

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 08:43 pm
@snood,
Yes. And to your final sentence, yes again. Far, far too many do because they've been primed that way.
georgeob1

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 09:15 pm
@blatham,
In what way have you been primed Blatham ?

I suspect you may believe that you are above all that: a part of the people's vanguard for the coming new age? Unfortunately we've seen all that before and what it yields.
Lash

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 09:20 pm
@snood,
Hillary is the one who's worked her entire public life to keep her corruption narrative going.

Good job, btw.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 09:37 pm
Tony Schwartz ‏@tonyschwartz 15h15 hours ago
I broke the unspoken code of confidentiality with Donald Trump on Art of the Deal because I truly believe his election imperils the planet.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 10:02 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:

If you read Perlstein's piece linked above, and read it with care, I will engage your question, george.
blatham

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 10:23 pm
Re Obama tonight...

Ross DouthatVerified account
‏@DouthatNYT
A speech to make Republican elites feel sickened (as they should be) by what their party has nominated.
0 Replies

snood

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 10:38 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:

If you read Perlstein's piece linked above, and read it with care, I will engage your question, george.

You think george can tolerate that much alien thought in one sitting? I don't.
Builder

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 10:50 pm
Protests in Philly right about now.
Friends are there saying there's shills promoting racism in the BLM camp.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 27 Jul, 2016 11:48 pm
@snood,
I'm not at all confident he'll read it, but he might. And he ought to. But he has a point. We all suffer confirmation bias, though to what degree we suffer it is not the same person to person. I remember once reading an early medical science anecdote where Galen and Harvey differed on how blood was moved through the body, Harvey forwarding a newish idea that the heart was responsible. A third person stated, "I would rather be wrong with Galen than right with Harvey".

One recurring indication I have of my failing here is viewing a photograph of some individual and where I initially mis-read the caption, taking him for a liberal when it's a conservative or vice versa, I will respond to that face
negatively or positively, and then that "perception" will change when I read the caption properly.

I should add here that this is exactly why study and gathering of information is so important.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 28 Jul, 2016 07:23 am
I think someone should point out that Clinton's speech, as usual, was filled with lies.

Of course, lies, cheating, and deep corruption is thei trademark.

I think Trump should get tips on wall building from the Neoliberals. The wall they constructed around their coronation dome is quite impressive. They are actively shutting down free speech inside the coronation dome, and they have a heavy police presence outside.

Neoliberal Dems are ushering in an authoritarian regime, and you are responsible. Dictators cheat openly in elections. A vote for Hillary Clinton is a knife in the back of what this country was designed to stand for.

Bill's lies: http://m.truthdig.com/avbooth/item/bill_clintons_innacurate_speech_about_hillary_clinton_20160728
0 Replies

georgeob1

Thu 28 Jul, 2016 08:44 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:

Sadly, you don't apper to grasp the one-sided nature of your hypocrisy. Your statement about "how they were primed" was both easily understandable and sweeping in its applicaction to those who don't share your perspective. That you won't acknowledge the existence of analogous influences on your own views,and on those from whom you appear to get them, is ample testimony to the vacuity of your "intellectual" forays.

blatham

Thu 28 Jul, 2016 10:17 am
@georgeob1,
You could just read that Perlstein piece, george. Nothing terrible will happen to you. Perlstein is one of the best young US historians presently and he really does do his homework.
blatham

Thu 28 Jul, 2016 10:20 am
Quote:
It's been about six years since Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback (R) announced his plan to conduct "a real-live experiment" with his state's economy. The far-right Kansan, working with a GOP-led legislature, would cut taxes far beyond what the state could afford, slash public investments, and wait for prosperity to flourish across every corner of the state.

None of that has happened. Not only have Kansas' job growth and economic growth lagged behind neighboring states, but a couple of years ago the state's bond rating was downgraded because of the fiscal mess Brownback created.

This week, as the Topeka Capital-Journal reported, it happened yet again...
That's Steve Benen and the link to the the TCJ is here http://bit.ly/2atBQtV
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 28 Jul, 2016 10:27 am
Anyone want to know what Michael Hayden thinks about Trump's plea for Russia to get further involved in hacking/releasing American data? http://bzfd.it/2atCXd5
blatham

Thu 28 Jul, 2016 10:55 am
Rich Lowry tweeted something interesting last night during Obama's speech at the convention...
Quote:
American exceptionalism and greatness, shining city on hill, founding documents, etc--they're trying to take all our stuff

Of course, it isn't uniquely or solely GOP stuff at all. His complaint could be better voiced as "The Hillary campaign is using the same sort of positive presentation of America and American myth as Reagan used effectively in his campaign - and coming after Trump's convention, this could really hurt us".

Obama's speech was seriously good (and so were many others). Here's some responses from conservatives:
Quote:
Will a Trump apologist explain to me why an 18 yo watching the conventions would want to be a Republican? We're giving away a generation (Tim Miller)

A speech to make Republican elites feel sickened (as they should be) by what their party has nominated. (Ross Douthat)

I started the evening saying for the first time I thought Trump could win. Then Obama spoke. I’m so angry at my own party right now. (Eric Erickson)

0 Replies

georgeob1

Thu 28 Jul, 2016 11:07 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

You could just read that Perlstein piece, george. Nothing terrible will happen to you. Perlstein is one of the best young US historians presently and he really does do his homework.

I did read his polemic. It was - at best - an opinion piece, not the work of an historian, and lacking the detachment and objectivity to which serious historians usually aspire. I could easily find equivalent material from other "esteemed" sources arguing exactly the opposite. I don't see much of value in either.

Do you have any opinions of your own? Why all the name-dropping and references ?

I'm off to Monte Rio.