When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

revelette2

Tue 31 May, 2016 07:14 am
@glitterbag,
Unless I missed it, Edgar didn't post
Advice for Divided Democrats

Quote:
Next, my advice for Sanders supporters: Be prepared to work hard for Hillary Clinton if she gets the nomination.

Some of you say that refusing to fight for or even vote for Hillary will show the Democratic political establishment why it must change its ways.

But the “Democratic political establishment” is nothing but a bunch of people, many of them big donors and fundraisers occupying comfortable and privileged positions, who won’t even be aware that you’ve decided to sit it out – unless Hillary loses to Donald Trump.

Which brings me to those of you who say there’s no real difference between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump.

That’s just plain wrong. Trump has revealed himself to be a narcissistic, xenophobic, hatemonger who, if elected, would legitimize bigotry, appoint Supreme Court justices with terrible values, and have direct access to the button that could set off a nuclear war.

Hillary may not possess Bernie Sanders’s indignation about the rigging of our economy and democracy, or be willing to go as far in remedying it, but she’s shown herself a capable and responsible leader.

(obviously the part I agree with.)
Miller

Tue 31 May, 2016 08:49 am
Jill Stein? I thought that crazy hippy-nut was dead...
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 31 May, 2016 08:58 am
@revelette2,
I'm confused, are you responding to something I posted??
Blickers

Tue 31 May, 2016 09:14 am
@glitterbag,
The quote revellette gave about how Sanders supporters should now work for Clinton because there is a huge difference between Hillary and Trump was made by Robert Reich. The Sanders supporters quoted Reich often because he was an important part of Bill Clinton's Administration and was for Bernie. But even Reich recognizes there is a huge gulf in competence and fitness to for the Oval Office between Hillary and Trump.
0 Replies

revelette2

Tue 31 May, 2016 09:27 am
@glitterbag,
No, just agreeing and elaborating. I suppose to should have just replied to the thread. Sorry for the confusion.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 31 May, 2016 09:29 am
"Trump Trolls Plot to Bait Bernie and Hillary Into Twitter Wars
Trump supporters launched a plan to use fake Twitter accounts to pit Bernie and Clinton fans against each other. It didn’t really work, but that doesn’t mean it won’t in the future.
“Let’s troll Bernie and Hillary supporters systematically,” the 4Chan thread on a recent weekend in May read.
The plan was simple: get a bunch of people to create pro-Bernie Sanders and pro-Hillary Clinton accounts and go to war on Twitter. The sham accounts would use hashtags to slander the opposite candidate and try to rile up die-hard fans into saying accusatory things to the supporters on the other side. The goal was to create more divisions and somehow use it to help Donald Trump gain more support." http://thebea.st/1O20ORr

No surprise in this at all if you've been paying attention over the last 20 or so years.
revelette2

Tue 31 May, 2016 09:33 am
(I may splurge soon and get the NYT, I'm up to #9.)

Gov. Jerry Brown Endorses Hillary Clinton Ahead of California Primary

Quote:
LOS ANGELES — Gov. Jerry Brown endorsed Hillary Clinton for president on Tuesday, intervening in the highly contested Democratic primary and telling voters she has the “tenacity and skill to advance the Democratic agenda.”

“Democrats have shown, by millions of votes, that they want her as their nominee,” he said.

But Mr. Brown’s endorsement, which came one week before next Tuesday’s primary in his state, also offered strong praise for Senator Bernie Sanders, who has been campaigning nearly full-time in California in an attempt to post a victory that might lift his long-shot battle to defeat Mrs. Clinton. In doing so, Mr. Brown took note of the similarities between the campaign the California governor ran for president in 1992 and Mr. Sanders’s own appeal.

“He has driven home the message that the top one percent has unfairly captured way too much of America’s wealth, leaving the majority of people far behind,” he said in an open letter to Democrats and independents, who are permitted to vote in the primary. “In 1992, I attempted a similar campaign.”

Mr. Brown lost that race to Mrs. Clinton’s husband, Bill Clinton, in a contest that left lingering bitterness between the two men. Mr. Clinton met with Mr. Brown in his office in Sacramento last week, suggesting any remaining strain between the two political figures is easing.

But the governor, who is now 78 and midway through his fourth and final term as the state’s chief executive, made it clear that more than anything, his decision was driven by his concern about Donald J. Trump, the presumptive Republican nominee.

Mr. Trump, Mr. Brown noted in his letter, “has called climate change a ‘hoax’ and said he will tear up the Paris Climate Agreement. He has promised to deport millions of immigrants and ominously suggested that other countries may need the nuclear bomb. He has also pledged to pack the Supreme Court with only those who please the extreme right.”

“The stakes couldn’t be higher,” Mr. Brown said.
Blickers

Tue 31 May, 2016 10:14 am
@blatham,
Quote The Daily Beast:
Quote:
The plan was simple: get a bunch of people to create pro-Bernie Sanders and pro-Hillary Clinton accounts and go to war on Twitter. The sham accounts would use hashtags to slander the opposite candidate and try to rile up die-hard fans into saying accusatory things to the supporters on the other side. The goal was to create more divisions and somehow use it to help Donald Trump gain more support." http://thebea.st/1O20ORr

No surprise in this at all if you've been paying attention over the last 20 or so years.

I'm not surprised at all. Over 10 years ago, when message boards were still a relatively new phenomenon, I visited a right wing site a couple of times and got an Email offering me points on something if I agreed to post their talking points. That was when the internet had just become popular, well before MySpace or Facebook, let alone Twitter.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 12:36 pm
Holy hell. He's named Cornell West to the platform committee. Katie, bar the door. Ain't nobody getting outta here alive. I'd pay good money for a seat in that room.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/clinton-might-not-be-the-nominee-1464733898

Btw, Hillary can still lose.

DrewDad

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 12:38 pm
@Lash,
Do you have a non-paywalled source?

edit: try this: http://www.wsj.com/articles/clinton-might-not-be-the-nominee-1464733898
DrewDad

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 12:44 pm
@DrewDad,
For the TL;DR version:

A hit piece that regurgitates a bunch of unflattering stuff about Clinton, and relies on Sanders getting superdelegate votes to win.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 01:02 pm
@DrewDad,
The piece also suggests that Biden may actually be eager to enter the race if an opportunity arises, and that a Biden Warren ticket may be the result. I have no specific knowledge to substantiate this, but coming from a former Clinton associate it is at least intriguing. Either way the California primary outcome will likely determine what follows in the short term.
ossobuco

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 01:23 pm
@georgeob1,
That's interesting to me, at least in concept.

I just finished voting for clinton in our NM primary (absentee ballot) and I am very chary of her, at the same time I can't see Sanders leading the country in ceremonial office with some power or by choices for staff.

I can see Gary Johnson and Bill Weld. They are not me either, but I detect them as sane, though unelectable this time.
cicerone imposter

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 01:29 pm
@ossobuco,
From what little I've seen of Gary Johnson, he looks like a solid choice.
0 Replies

Blickers

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 01:56 pm
Libertarian? That pretty much means as few government programs as possible. Bye bye Social Security and Medicare in their present form. The Republicans have hammered Hillary and the Democrats have hammered Republicans to the point that the voting public doesn't like either of them. That is no reason to jump off the deep end just because the Libertarians are nominating people you haven't grown to hate yet. From what I've read of the Libertarians, we'd be back to 1910 in no time.
RABEL222

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 02:06 pm
@blatham,
Quote:

The last 36 years. This stuff started with Ronny Raygun. And before that Nixon.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 02:08 pm
@Blickers,
Right.

That is why when I looked up Johnson some years ago, a friend (who did like Johnson) here told me I wouldn't end up liking him, and he was right when I looked further.

Let's say I prefer them to Trumpet.

I think of Trump as a guy unravelling the knitting of US history, tearing the sweater apart.
Blickers

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 02:24 pm
@ossobuco,
That's one way of looking at it. I see Trump as the guy who is going to disband NATO and therefore give Europe away to his business buddy Putin. Makes you wonder what business deal Putin has promised back in return.
ossobuco

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 04:58 pm
@Blickers,
that too
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 06:46 pm
@Blickers,
Trump/Red Square. Lenin will be stood up for the host's podium in the main dining room/lounge, the Trump Room/the The Donnie's It'll be YUGE! World class.