When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

Lilkanyon

Wed 1 Jun, 2016 08:09 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Trump/Red Square. Lenin will be stood up for the host's podium in the main dining room/lounge, the Trump Room/the The Donnie's It'll be YUGE! World class.

GOP asked for this. Every time they claimed on Fox news that Putin was strong and Obama was weak, another Trump popped out the womb...yeah! Screw the world! And Trump was watching as a proud poppa. Dont forget...all you that hate Trump yet love Oreilly created this crap and rained hell on us all.

Maybe she aint perfect. What pres candidate is? What human is? That woman worked her ass off her entire life in dedication to public service, and I am sick and tired of her being run over for it. She has sound policies. She made mistakes. Who doesnt. i still love Colin Powell and he advocated the Iraq war to the UN, which I absolutley was against...but tbh? If he ran?, depending on his message...I may just vote for him.
0 Replies

nimh

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 08:41 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
(I may splurge soon and get the NYT, I'm up to #9.)

If you don't mind circumventing the rules, you can just open NYT links in an incognito window*. No more 10 articles limit. :-)

* In Chrome it's called an incognito window; I guess it works the same with a "private window" in Firefox, haven't tried.
revelette2

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 08:46 am
@nimh,
Thanks, perhaps if I get desperate enough...usually it ends up being enough. I have another ten now. I really like their articles, but I only open the ones I think I might be more interested in. If I did what you suggest or pay a subscription, probably would read a lot more of them.
DrewDad

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 09:06 am
@revelette2,
Most of the time you can also read protected web pages from Google's cache.
nimh

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 10:40 am
@DrewDad,
And with many of these paywalls - I think with the NYT as well, though I'm not sure cause I always just use an incognito window - another trick is to google the headline, and click it from there. That also tends to get around the limits.

The conscientious thing to do is to pay, of course, if you think the content is really valuable... but as a cash-strapped news junkie, that's not really an option for me.
DrewDad

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 02:44 pm
@nimh,
Yeah, well, when they stop delivering malware via their advertising brokers, and when they deliver enough value consistently, I'll pay.

Their problem is not my problem....
0 Replies

RABEL222

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 04:00 pm
@Blickers,
He promised him the Vice Presidency.
roger

Thu 2 Jun, 2016 05:13 pm
@RABEL222,
That was funny.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 4 Jun, 2016 12:01 am
http://www.salon.com/2016/06/03/neoliberalism_gave_us_trump_a_dying_white_america_is_raging_against_the_capitalist_machine_partner/

Hillary and neoliberalism.
parados

Sat 4 Jun, 2016 09:43 pm
@Lash,
Hillary decisively wins the Virgin Islands. 1308-190. This will get her another 6 delegates.

Tomorrow, Sunday, is Puerto Rico where she could win as big as in the Virgin Islands. If she does, she will be within 30 delegates of winning the nomination and could be as close as 20.

Puerto Rico, with 60 delegates, is the third largest contest left behind California and New Jersey. If Sanders can't win 67% in Puerto Rico but falls to under 50% he will need 70% of the remaining delegates. If he can't win 50% of New Jersey he will need 75% of the remaining delegates.

Bottom line is Sanders will not be breaking the 50% mark in California. The contest is over. Hillary will have the majority of the regular delegates and 800 more delegates than Sanders.
Lash

Sun 5 Jun, 2016 12:51 am
@parados,
It's over when the convention names the nominee. Anything can happen.
parados

Sun 5 Jun, 2016 06:08 am
@Lash,
No. It's over when someone has enough to win on the first ballot. If you don't understand that then you don't understand the first thing about politics. Your argument is similar to arguing that the Presidential election isn't decided until the electoral college votes because anything can happen.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 5 Jun, 2016 10:12 am
Some history as to how the GOP got where it is now. But read the full essay.

"E.J. Dionne knows that Republican intransigence was not born yesterday, and he has the credentials for saying it because this dependably intelligent liberal tells us, in his new book, that he began as a young Goldwaterite—like Hillary Clinton (or like me). He knows that his abandoned faith sounded themes that have perdured right down to our day. In the 1950s there were many outlets for right-wing discontent—including H.L. Hunt’s Lifeline, Human Events, The Dan Smoot Report, the Fulton Lewis radio show, Willis Carto’s Liberty Lobby, the Manion Forum. In 1955, William F. Buckley founded National Review to give some order and literary polish to this cacophonous jumble. But his magazine had a small audience at the outset. Its basic message would reach a far wider audience through a widely popular book, The Conscience of a Conservative, ghostwritten for Barry Goldwater by Buckley’s brother-in-law (and his coauthor for McCarthy and His Enemies), L. Brent Bozell.

The idea for the book came from Clarence Manion, the former dean of Notre Dame Law School. He persuaded Goldwater to have Bozell, who had been his speechwriter, put his thoughts together in book form. Then Manion organized his own and other right-wing media to promote and give away thousands of copies of the book. Bozell did his part too—he went to a board meeting of the John Birch Society and persuaded Fred Koch (father of Charles and David Koch) to buy 2,500 copies of Conscience for distribution. The book put Goldwater on the cover of Time three years before he ran for president. A Draft Goldwater Committee was already in existence then (led by William Rusher of National Review, F. Clifton White, and John Ashbrook). Patrick Buchanan spoke for many conservatives when he called The Conscience of a Conservative their “New Testament.” http://bit.ly/1QJDUeO
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 6 Jun, 2016 08:21 pm
Shall we briefly pause a moment to mark the occasion where for the first time in American history, a WOMAN is the presidential nominee of a major political party.

cicerone imposter

Mon 6 Jun, 2016 08:22 pm
@blatham,
No pause needed; she's gonna kick Trump's butt back to timbuktu.
ehBeth

Mon 6 Jun, 2016 08:32 pm
@blatham,
Not yet. I'm waiting til the numbers are there without the supers.
glitterbag

Mon 6 Jun, 2016 08:44 pm
@blatham,
I'm taking bets, how much do any of you want to wager that Trump will appeal to the Supreme Court for a recount after he loses.
cicerone imposter

Mon 6 Jun, 2016 08:52 pm
@glitterbag,
That's a good likelihood, because the polls are very close between Clinton and Trump.
What I don't get is how the majority of Americans can vote for the racial bigot, Trump. I thought this country was better than that.

Anyone?
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 6 Jun, 2016 08:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
she's gonna kick Trump's butt back to timbuktu.

First, we need Sanders to hold his self-righteousness in check. I suspect he will but this exercise seems to have awakened an unhealthy and myopic ambition in him.

Then there's the current Trump catastrophe. Lindsey Graham today is calling for GOPers to rescind their endorsements of Trump. Every senior Republican I can think of other than Christie and Cruz have renounced Trump for his statements on the "Mexican" judge Curiel. And it seems his campaign is a big mess. And most importantly, it looks obvious at this point that Trump is utterly incapable of learning and incapable of changing his style when he's pressured (and this is just the start of the pressure of a general election).

The thing is, I'm beginning to wonder if he will bail. He doesn't want the job - the actual job - of the presidency and that's obvious in his failure to, in any way, prepare for it. He wants the status. He doesn't want to be president, he wants to be Pharaoh. He's unstable and a ******* lunatic.

What if his legal people tell him (and it's reasonable they will) that the Trump University case will likely bring him down when it goes to trial after November? What if he continues to see senior Republicans distance themselves from him and criticize him (which is more likely than not to happen)? What if Republicans really face up to the disaster that Trump's candidacy represents?

David French, this morning, said, "No I'm not running". There goes poor Bill Kristol's hope. What if Cruz (who is a true sociopath) smells blood?

This whole thing is so ugly and there's no way I have of predicting where things will go.

blatham

Mon 6 Jun, 2016 08:59 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Not yet. I'm waiting til the numbers are there without the supers.

Understood. But I'm an eager fellow. And I'm right.