When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

oralloy

Wed 11 May, 2016 06:50 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
When you are going to choose a fascist or proto-fascist over Clinton, you've gone completely insane.

Or you value the Constitution and don't like the fact that the Democrats nominate justices that oppose the Constitution.

Our rights are important.
0 Replies

revelette2

Thu 12 May, 2016 06:18 am
@blatham,
I've been waiting to see if Cruz folds after that epic melt down.

blatham

Thu 12 May, 2016 08:10 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
I've been waiting to see if Cruz folds after that epic melt down.

If by "fold" you mean he will give up on his dream of the WH, I'd put the chances of that at zero.
blatham

Thu 12 May, 2016 08:14 pm
Paul Waldman, who co-blogs with Greg Sargent at Plumline (WP) has a very smart and troubling post up today on the critical need of the mainstream media to cover Trump in some manner that undercuts Trump's novel and threatening manipulation of prior media norms and habits.

"Trump is waging an assault on the entire structure of our democracy. Now what?" http://wapo.st/1OqDQxS
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 12 May, 2016 08:20 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
what remains is the notion that liberals/progressives are unknowing agents of Satan and that Hillary is probably Satan.

it's been interesting/worrying to see posters like joefromchicago say something not too different about Mrs. Clinton

I still don't think she's a great candidate. I don't think she's a good schmoozy natural politician. But evil? nope. can't get with that.
blatham

Thu 12 May, 2016 09:25 pm
@ehBeth,
I saw Joe's thread and didn't bother to read his lead or the following comments. I like Joe a lot but the premise clearly implied in the title wasn't one I was interested in dealing with.

I think Hillary's intelligence is startlingly impressive. Her tenacity, given what she has had to endure for decades now, is frankly beyond my comprehension. She's not a gifted campaigner like her husband or Obama but I don't know why I ought to hold her to that standard so it is relevant to me only insofar as electability is concerned and I think she's at that standard for sure. Unlike others, I don't consider her dishonest. She doesn't match my definition of a propagandist. And given what has been and still is and will continue to be thrown at her, I am absolutely willing to grant her significant latitude in what she reveals and what he does not reveal. Her enemies play for keeps and they are the bad guys, from Arkansas through Limbaugh through Ann Coulter through the Koch network. Administrative knowledge, experience and skills? I'm not sure who might exceed her. Is she a progressive as I'd wish? Probably not but my notion is that she surely heads in that direction and as I think incremental change is the only realistic way to move things forward, I'm not much concerned. That she is a woman is very important to me as well. It IS time.
glitterbag

Thu 12 May, 2016 11:09 pm
@blatham,
I agree with Blatham. I hear all the bullshit about dishonesty, liar, enabler but I really don't think Hillary is any of those things. She really has been a formidable Sec of State, this recent crap about Benghazi is the most corrupt thing her detractors have ever flung at her. I was an intel analyst for 32 years, its nuts to think when an attack occurs every single member of the intel community can deliver a complete assessment within 20 minutes. I know you can get a Mickey D burger in less than 5 min, but not any worthwhile intel in real time that happens thousands of miles away.
Think of it this way, no one really kows what actually happened to Prince, but no one will be blaming Hillary or little Donnie for not explaining it to the American people two weeks before he tragically died.
The Speaker of the House Paul Ryan met with the bloviating pile of orange crap earlier today. The most positive thing I can say about the Republican Party today, is that after years of cultivating crackpots to vote for nuttball anti-american, racist ideas....the chickens have come home to roost and Paul Ryan is desperately trying to make Donnie understand that being president doesn't give him imperial powers. The founding fathers were genius in constructing our constitution and bill of rights.
Sooner or later, that orange twinky will have to face the fact that he doesn't get to run roughshod over the American people and reconstruct the rules to only his graven image.
I my not have wanted Hillary to run, but by far she's the only adult in the race. Initially I was upset that things were coming to a head 6 months before the Nov. election. However, the Republicans have had to sober up, they have sown the seeds of hatred but they never expected an outsider narcissist to see the opening. Well, ok, they are stuck with their worst nightmare, but apparently still don't want to be the architects of destuction of our country. I'm grateful they finally see the dangerous condition they created and will move to attempt to get back on the American track.
My father died at age 82, he lived thru the Great Depression, dropped out of school at 14 to deliver telegrams for western Union. He enlisted in the Army Air Corps before WWII began and served for 6 or 7 years, in combat, in early warning, in air traffic control. I would get so exasperated when he would bemoan the current culture. But because I thought he lived thru so much and still created a good home for us I didn't understand why he was so pessimistic. Now I understand, and I wish I could tell Dad I was wrong.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 13 May, 2016 12:38 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
it's been interesting/worrying to see posters like joefromchicago say something not too different about Mrs. Clinton

The fact that Ed, Jo and even Osso originally have expressed strong anti-Hillary feelings does not worry me and should not worry you. People are entitled to like and dislike who they do.

I don't like Clinton much either. Too awkish, too much of an insider, too rich, too political for my taste. She failed when trying to push for universal med. care under her husband's first admin. She did almost nothing as Sec. of State. She behaved like a jerk when campaigning against Obama in 2008... I have what I consider good reasons to dislike her, just like you might have what you see as good reasons to like her. No worry at all.

She's still better than the republican alternative by very far in my book.
blatham

Sat 14 May, 2016 10:19 am
What's coming down the pike...

"Donald Trump’s Pals Say Hillary Clinton Is a Lesbian Murderer, Bill Is a Cocaine Fiend
Donald Trump has hinted he has a lot of dirt on Hillary Clinton. But where is he getting his information from? Some of the best, worst Hillary fan fiction money can buy." http://thebea.st/1Td8zE8

The next six months is going to prove clear evidence of many right wing alarums about the decline of western civilization and of the United States itself. What far too few of them will be able to confront is that they are the agents of what they fear.

I think Hillary is as aware of all this stuff as anyone and will have strategies in place to deal with the sewage on its way. If we're lucky, the consequences will be similar to what happened electorally after what was done to Bill. A key reason I'd like to see Al Franken as VP pick is because he is preternaturally adept at putting this sort of stuff in its proper light cogently and correctly.

But I really do fear damage to the nation internally and externally over the next six months (and likely, beyond). Michael Gerson and others like him really need to step up their passionate denunciations of Trumpism and of media habits.
ehBeth

Sat 14 May, 2016 10:30 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
just like you might have what you see as good reasons to like her.

you have me confused with someone else

I've been downthumbed plenty for my posts indicating I do not think Mrs. Clinton is a desirable candidate for the Democrats.

__

I don't think she is evil. I don't think Mr. Sanders is evil.

That doesn't make me think either of them is a good candidate.
Olivier5

Sat 14 May, 2016 01:52 pm
@ehBeth,
Then you should undetstand those people on the left who feel strongly against voting for her, like joeftomchicago or ed.
ehBeth

Sat 14 May, 2016 02:03 pm
@Olivier5,
My issue is not with their declared voting choice/s, particularly those in non-swing states.

My issue is with what I perceive as a unnecessarily dramatic use of language.
Lash

Sat 14 May, 2016 02:11 pm
@blatham,
Likely, establishment democrats would much prefer the "lesbian murderer" stories to the real reasons so many are turning from Clintons.

TPP - and constant Hillary flip-flopping over other critical issues - and her refusal to tell the voting public what she's been telling Wall Street at $335K a clip) are much more salient issues for her to clarify.
0 Replies

snood

Sat 14 May, 2016 02:13 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

unnecessarily dramatic use of language.

Well put
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sat 14 May, 2016 02:44 pm
@ehBeth,
The rhetoric from both sides is terrible. If we don't find a way to moderate it whichever candidate makes it through Philadelphia will struggle because of it.

Whatever represses the vote for the candidate will cripple Congressional elections if we allow either partisan group take an excuse and stay home Nov 8.
Lash

Sat 14 May, 2016 04:17 pm
Here's the sanitized version of what the Clintons do with the influence they sell:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/clinton-charity-aided-clinton-friends-1463086383

More detail: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-05-13/did-clinton-foundation-give-2-million-bills-energizer-mistress

0 Replies

revelette2

Sat 14 May, 2016 07:50 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
If by "fold" you mean he will give up on his dream of the WH, I'd put the chances of that at zero.

No, I meant after Cruz calling Trump amoral, I was wondering if he folds to supporting Trump to beat Hillary.
glitterbag

Sat 14 May, 2016 09:41 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Amen
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 14 May, 2016 10:38 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
No, I meant after Cruz calling Trump amoral, I was wondering if he folds to supporting Trump to beat Hillary.

Good question. He is a weasel so he'll do whatever he presumes will help him in the future more than damage him. He may well wait to get a better reading on how the general election will go. If he concludes Trump will lose, then he'll stand as a Trump enemy. If it seems the result will be uncertain, he'll be unclear and ambiguous so that later on he can pretend he held a stance. That's my guess.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sun 15 May, 2016 12:47 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

My issue is with what I perceive as a unnecessarily dramatic use of language.

What do you expect in an election year? These things happen all the time and everybody does it, not just the Berners.
0 Replies