When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

blatham

Tue 3 May, 2016 03:42 pm
Let's presume that Trump is going to achieve a major part of his goal tonight and that as a consequence, the #StopTrump movement will be effectively deceased. What comes next?

That's an easy one. The right presently has almost nothing in the way of positive policy ideas (ensure no minimum wage laws are enacted or that gays can't marry or women cannot get abortions or that voting should be restricted and encumbered and that Obamacare must be eviscerated are their notion of positive policy - they don't prescribe, they proscribe). Because their "initiatives" are almost entirely in the direction of negation, there's no 'bright new dawn' they can coherently say their policy preferences will lead to. Their schtick is "Unless we assassinate liberalism, America is doomed and your children will be turned into organic sandwich filling".

And because the right is now so profoundly fractured, discontented and divided with the factions ripping at each other's intestines, they will have no real unifying element other than Hillary - who is Satan with a vagina and that's the most insidious version of the the imaginary beast their ever could be.

The next months will be the ugliest we've probably ever seen in our political lifetimes, I think. It will be a sewer coming from the right. It is now their language and their method.
revelette2

Tue 3 May, 2016 03:52 pm

Quote:
Polls Favor Clinton But Demographics May Favor Sanders In Indiana

I wish we’d published this a little sooner, but our demographic model suggests that Clinton isn’t all that safe in Indiana despite polls showing her with a lead over Sanders. In fact, the demographic model we published last week, which “called” all five states right in the “Northeast primaries,” would have Sanders winning Indiana by 7 percentage points, since it’s a predominantly white state holding an open primary.

Nate Silver
0 Replies

snood

Tue 3 May, 2016 04:02 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
And because the right is now so profoundly fractured, discontented and divided with the factions ripping at each other's intestines, they will have no real unifying element other than Hillary - who is Satan with a vagina and that's the most insidious version of the the imaginary beast their ever could be.

The next months will be the ugliest we've probably ever seen in our political lifetimes, I think. It will be a sewer coming from the right. It is now their language and their method.

I shudder to think just how very accurate an assessment this is, Blatham.
0 Replies

BillRM

Tue 3 May, 2016 04:03 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
black Americans, we differ in that I don't blame individuals for getting caught in a corrupt system

Sorry as you said I do not take the position that no matter what their claimed mistreatments happen to be does not give a black person the right to burn or loot a business or drag out a truck driver to beat him up for example.

Nor does a person who earn a living by knowingly shortening the lives of his fellow citizens by growing tobacco or taking parts in running dirty power plants and so on have clean hands.

You do not need to be the CEO of a tobacco or electric companies to share the moral guilt for the harm that results.
0 Replies

revelette2

Tue 3 May, 2016 04:13 pm
Quote:
I’ve become a broken record this primary season, but let me say it again: it’s all about delegates. And on the Democratic side, elected delegates are awarded proportionally. That makes it very difficult for one state to change the trajectory of the race. You can see that by doing the math in allocating the 83 delegates up for grabs in Indiana. If Clinton wins in Indiana by 15 percentage points, she’ll have to win 34 percent of the remaining elected delegates to capture a majority of the elected delegates by the end of the primary season. If Sanders wins Indiana by 15 percentage points, Clinton would need to win 35 percent of the remaining elected delegates to take a majority of the elected delegates by the end of the primary season. Either way, the math won’t really change after the Indiana primary on the Democratic side.

Harry Enten
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 3 May, 2016 07:29 pm
@ehBeth,
I think NPR/fivethirtyeight got this. If Mr Sanders can get 75%+ Indiana, he can do a tiny exhale. What I don't get is why he doesn't completely clean up in a state Mrs. Clinton didn't spend any $ on.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 4 May, 2016 05:07 am
More Clinton Cash Corruption. How low can they go?

As low as they like, as long as their lackey apologists turn a blind eye. People who make excuses for the Clintons share their guilt- just not their secret bank accounts. So, what's in it for you??

http://www.citypages.com/news/report-minnesota-dfl-party-launders-money-for-clinton-campaign-dnc-8248719
0 Replies

Brand X

Wed 4 May, 2016 05:15 am
Trump should hire Monica Lewinsky to be in every camera shot of him throughout the rest of the campaign. That should just about shut the Clinton's down.

But Monica has more class than all of them, she probably wouldn't do it.
snood

Wed 4 May, 2016 05:43 am
Quote:
...their lackey apologists turn a blind eye. People who make excuses for the Clintons share their guilt- just not their secret bank accounts. So, what's in it for you??

I've seen it stated about Hillary supporters that they should take care that their tone is respectful and conciliatory - if they expect to convince any Bernie voters to support Hillary in the Fall. What do you think about the tone represented above - assigning guilt to Hillary supporters by insinuating association with cheats, thieves and liars?

Olivier5

Wed 4 May, 2016 06:46 am
@blatham,
Quote:
The next months will be the ugliest we've probably ever seen in our political lifetimes, I think.

Expect many more "his-father-was-with-Lee-Harvey-Oswald" kind of comments from Trump, targeted at HC. But she's a tough cookie; I trust she won't crack under pressure and panic like Cruz did.

All she needs to do is to poke fun at him, to ridicule him, and humiliate him in the process. It would be a mistake IMO to respond with deep policy analysis to a clown like Trump. He's pure entertainment and she got to understand that. She must get the audience laughing at the clown, period. She could do worse than hire somebody like Bill Maher as her speech writter.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 4 May, 2016 06:53 am
@snood,
The only ones that share their guilt are the ones who constantly turn a blind eye to their dirt.

If it doesn't apply, it doesn't.

If it does, I'm sure it stings.
revelette2

Wed 4 May, 2016 07:06 am
@Brand X,
Oh please, have you ever read her book? She is hardly a class act. Don't you think Trump has a lot of skeletons in his closet just waiting to be dug out? The Clintons don't have to do it, they can get surrogates to do for them.
snood

Wed 4 May, 2016 07:06 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

The only ones that share their guilt are the ones who constantly turn a blind eye to their dirt.

If it doesn't apply, it doesn't.

If it does, I'm sure it stings.

You've already gone on record trying to smear everyone who supports Hillary with the same tainted brush. Don't try to lie and appear reasonable.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 4 May, 2016 07:19 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
I've seen it stated about Hillary supporters that they should take care that their tone is respectful and conciliatory - if they expect to convince any Bernie voters to support Hillary in the Fall. What do you think about the tone represented above - assigning guilt to Hillary supporters by insinuating association with cheats, thieves and liars?

I think that it's unlikely to convince any Hillary supporter to vote for Bernie in the Fall.... Other than that, i don't see any problem.
Blickers

Wed 4 May, 2016 08:05 am
@Brand X,
Quote Brand X:
Quote:
Trump should hire Monica Lewinsky to be in every camera shot of him throughout the rest of the campaign. That should just about shut the Clinton's down.

Yeah, that'll impress all the Rush Limbaugh listeners still seething over Monicagate.

Oh wait, those people aren't voting Democratic anyway, so nothing is lost. Damn. But by all means, keep dreaming that you are going to find a scandal that will deliver the White House to the GOP. That's all you've got left.
0 Replies

revelette2

Wed 4 May, 2016 08:11 am
@Olivier5,
In other words, you think since supposedly Hillary is going to need Bernie supporters in the general election Hillary supporters are going to have to bend over backwards for Bernie supporters and they can still be as nasty as they want because Bernie won't be the nominee in the fall anyway?

Gotcha, just don't be thinking certain folks are unfairly being "ganged up on" for no cause. There has been plenty of cause whether you want to see it or not. She just irks an awful lot of people.

Yesterday, Bernie did not win enough votes to make a difference in the delegates so we are where we were before yesterday's primary. Even if Bernie wins the remaining states, it is highly doubtful he wins enough votes to overtake Hillary and with each state, Hillary will have won more delegates whether she wins or not since delegates are given out proportionally which will put her at the required delegates even without super delegates before the convention.
ehBeth

Wed 4 May, 2016 08:16 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
I think that it's unlikely to convince any Hillary supporter to vote for Bernie in the Fall.... Other than that, i don't see any problem.

since literally all of the supporters of Mrs. Clinton I know/see have already said they would vote for either in the generals there is no one to convince to vote for Mr. Sanders at this point. the problem to watch for is those voters being turned off by the tone and language of some of Mr. Sanders' supporters.
Olivier5

Wed 4 May, 2016 08:45 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
the problem to watch for is those voters being turned off by the tone and language of some of Mr. Sanders' supporters.

Why would that be a problem?
izzythepush

Wed 4 May, 2016 08:46 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
if they expect to convince any Bernie voters to support Hillary in the Fall.

It doesn't matter what voters say. It's all down to Mark E. Smith, and I don't think she has a prayer. Bill might have a shot, but she'd be better off concentrating on the election.

https://liveon35mm.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/fall067.jpg
ehBeth

Wed 4 May, 2016 08:47 am
@Olivier5,
I'm fairly sure that if Mr. Sanders is the Democratic candidate, he'll want all the votes he can get. If his supporters turn off potential voters, it won't benefit him or America.