When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

bobsal u1553115

Tue 3 May, 2016 11:12 am
Hillary Clinton Confronted on Coal Comments, Williamson, WV, May 2: 'It Was A Misstatement'

Bill Clinton confronted in Logan, WV, May 1 about Hillary's coal comments, 'when's she going to lay us all off?'

>Tuesday, May 10 is the West Virginia Primary.

More:http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1014&pid=1435634

BillRM

Tue 3 May, 2016 01:23 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
No matter who win the next election coal mining and coal burning is not in our future with large coal mining companies filling for bankruptcy.

Quote:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/13/news/companies/peabody-coal-bankruptcy/

Peabody Energy, the world's largest private-sector coal producer, filed for bankruptcy on Wednesday in a U.S. court, citing "unprecedented" industry pressures and a sharp decline in the price of coal.
The company said it will continue to operate while in bankruptcy, while working to reduce debt and improve cash flow.
"Peabody has a new management team, outstanding workforce, unmatched asset base and strong underlying operational performance that represent a key driver in the company's future success," CEO Glenn Kellow said in a statement announcing the Chapter 11 filing.
In addition to plummeting coal prices, the company cited weakness in China's economy, overproduction of domestic shale gas and ongoing regulatory challenges as reasons for its declining prospects.
Powered by SmartAsset

ANALYST RATINGS BYANALYST RATINGS BY
Peabody reported a loss of $2 billion last year. Revenue tumbled 17% to $5.6 billion as the average price and amount of coal that it sold fell. It warned of further declines this year due to reduced use of coal by U.S. utilities, along with lower demand from overseas markets.
Shares of Peabody (BTU) have already plunged more than 75% this year to trade near $2. The company has roughly 7,600 employees.
Related: Hillary Clinton can't kill coal. It's already dying
The coal industry has faced a myriad of problems in recent years, including proposed regulation from the Obama administration to cut greenhouse gas emissions from the nation's coal-burning power plants. The industry refers to those regulations as Obama's "war on coal."
While the new regulations have been put on hold by the Supreme Court, the industry has faced a number of other economic woes, including significantly lower prices for natural gas, which is a competing fuel used by electric utilities, and slowing economic growth in China, a major market for U.S. coal.
Renewable sources of energy are also getting much cheaper, further squeezing demand.
Arch Coal (ACI), which owns the second-largest U.S. coal reserves behind Peabody, filed for bankruptcy in January.
CNNMoney (New Delhi)
First published April 13, 2016: 4:01 AM ET
0 Replies

BillRM

Tue 3 May, 2016 01:28 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 3 May, 2016 01:44 pm
@snood,
I just finished reading the article by Kareem - well written, well worth a read.

I'll add the link again, for any who missed it, as it has been about two weeks since you gave the link on these pages, snood.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/kareem-abdul-jabbar-in-this-crucial-election-im-endorsing-hillary-clinton/2016/04/15/305bd5fc-0244-11e6-9203-7b8670959b88_story.html
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 3 May, 2016 02:23 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
She meant, "It was a miscalculation." She thought people in West Virginia didn't watch the news.

The story about the real confrontation with the coal miner was truly sad. His poor child wondered why this lady who wanted to be president hated his dad so much. He was afraid.

BillRM

Tue 3 May, 2016 02:32 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
wanted to be president hated his dad so much.

I wonder how many children who live downwind of the middle west coal power generation plants hate this child dad due to him providing the coal that resulted in their parents and grandparents early deaths and their lung diseases.
engineer

Tue 3 May, 2016 02:38 pm
@BillRM,
I give her lots of credit for looking this guy in the eyes and then telling him the truth. Those jobs aren't coming back. That is what she said on CNN and that is the truth. Sure, less honest candidates will tell them that they will somehow keep those jobs or "Make America Great Again". Maybe they will blame in on foreign workers or evil trade deals. The reality is economic forces a lot bigger than a well attended pep rally are driving coal down.

Quote:
Bo Copley, a West Virginian who recently lost his job at a coal company, teared up as he told the former secretary of state that he didn't know how to explain his situation or her comments to his young children. Seated beside his wife, Copley slid over a photo of his kids to Clinton, who was sitting a just few feet from him at the community round-table discussion.

He questioned how she could say what she said at a CNN forum in March — "We're going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business" — and then "come in here and tell us how you're going to be our friend."

He also told her he was representative of the angry crowd who had assembled outside hours before.

"Those people out there don't see you as a friend," he said, referring to the dozens of protesters within earshot.

Clinton then engaged in a very frank conversation about her comments, apologizing repeatedly and calling her prior remarks a "misstatement."

"What I said was totally out of context from what I meant because I have been talking about helping coal country for a very long time," she said. "What I was saying is that the way things are going now, we will continue to lose jobs. That's what I meant to say."
Lash

Tue 3 May, 2016 02:43 pm
@BillRM,
Mother Nature provided the coal. I don't think we can blame that on the coal miner.
revelette2

Tue 3 May, 2016 02:47 pm
@Lash,
I agree with engineer, the coal industry will continue to loose jobs and to say otherwise is just flat out lying.

I live right dab in the middle of coal county, people hate Obama and blame him ruining coal. Mitch plays it up. Seems you are too. Thought you were worried about the environment like Bernie Sanders?
Lash

Tue 3 May, 2016 02:56 pm
@revelette2,
I think she said it in a cavalier way - not even thinking that generations of people made their lives in coal.

She said it like they weren't people with lives and feelings.
BillRM

Tue 3 May, 2016 03:00 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Mother Nature provided the coal. I don't think we can blame that on the coal miner.

As far as I know neither mother nature or god is a coal miner or a power plant operator who burn the coal found in the ground therefore placing megtons of poisons in the air.

Lash

Tue 3 May, 2016 03:03 pm
@BillRM,
I'm not for coal energy, but this Bo Copley isn't to blame for the problems with coal. He's a little guy.

She was thoughtless, and there's no way around it.
BillRM

Tue 3 May, 2016 03:09 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
not even thinking that generations of people made their lives in coal.

URL: http://able2know.org/reply/post-6177423

Does all the people who have their lives cut short for generations from coal power stations and their families have feelings?
0 Replies

BillRM

Tue 3 May, 2016 03:12 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Bo Copley isn't to blame for the problems with coal. He's a little guy.

Sorry as that defense have not been valid since the end of ww2 when very low level people was found guilty of crimes again mankind.
blatham

Tue 3 May, 2016 03:13 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
LOL. Or a hope of starting a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I think georgeob was just reflecting the notions common in what he chooses to read and who he chooses to listen to. Back when he initiated this thread, right wing media and pundits were pushing this narrative and many of them doing so for the reason you suggest. Of course, at the same time, those of us who do attend to right wing media could easily discern (because it was often explicit) the awareness/fear that Hillary was going to be a very serious threat.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 3 May, 2016 03:16 pm
@BillRM,
OK then. Go arrest him for his crimes.
blatham

Tue 3 May, 2016 03:17 pm
This from the very smart Ed Kilgore...

"Bernie Sanders and the ‘Win Big or Go Home’ Philosophy of Progressive Change

...Nonetheless, the attraction of Bernie Sanders to impatient progressives who embrace the Big Bang Theory should be obvious. The only way to discipline Democrats and achieve maximize progressive gains after an electoral victory is to have an indelibly clear and inflexible idea of progressive goals — in short, a series of litmus tests. Sanders has been laying down the same litmus tests, basically involving linear extensions of New Deal and Great Society programs in every direction, for decade after decade, no matter how lonely the task might have been or how many tempting and interesting ideas were percolating elsewhere. He's "progressive" in the sense of believing America went largely off track in the 1960s and needs to go back and pick up where the march towards Scandinavia left off. And as the Cooper-Drum exchange demonstrates, the "milquetoast liberals" of the baby-boom generation can only respond with a record of accomplishment that pales next to that of FDR and LBJ (particularly when you forget the many compromises those liberal lions actually made). It all begins to sound like a silly and stereotypical dialogue between "idealistic" youth and cynical old people, when it's really a judgment call with enormous implications for the immediate political future.

I think we'll hear more of this argument if Donald Trump nails down the Republican nomination tonight and Democrats begin to dream of a presidential landslide and a congressional conquest to go with it. What might Democrats get done before the inevitable midterm backlash occurs? And what if that backlash leads to the Right's Big Bang in 2020? Bazinga! " http://nym.ag/1UwTaj0
0 Replies

BillRM

Tue 3 May, 2016 03:23 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
OK then. Go arrest him for his crimes.

An you are free to feel sorry for the man no longer being able to earn a living by shorting thousands of people lives living down winds to the plants.
Lash

Tue 3 May, 2016 03:31 pm
@BillRM,
Synthesizing your views here with your views about black Americans, we differ in that I don't blame individuals for getting caught in a corrupt system quite as much as I hate those who knowingly created and profit from the corrupt system.

That guy has no other way now. We need to force corrupt politicians out, and find leaders who will commit to getting rid of archaic, polluting systems and give this guy a way to live.

Don't blame the little guy; blame the corrupt shitsters who protect the status quo.
roger

Tue 3 May, 2016 03:41 pm
@engineer,
Engineer, it's time to bring back Ralph. You know, like "Vote for Ralph". Ralph would be a relief to many of us.
0 Replies