When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

Olivier5

Wed 4 May, 2016 08:56 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

In other words, you think since supposedly Hillary is going to need Bernie supporters in the general election Hillary supporters are going to have to bend over backwards for Bernie supporters and they can still be as nasty as they want because Bernie won't be the nominee in the fall anyway?

No. I mean that Hillary supporter -- IF THEY CARE TO BE USEFUL TO HER CAMPAIGN -- may wish to avoid unnecessary negativity and senseless bitching about Bernie and his supporters. It's one of these cases where it's not useful to allow yourself to be dragged in tit-for-tats.

Now go ahead and caricature what I say.

Gotcha, just don't be thinking certain folks are unfairly being "ganged up on" for no cause. There has been plenty of cause whether you want to see it or not. She just irks an awful lot of people.
[/quote]
So what? Just because somebody irks does not give you a right to behave as an asshole... Your feelings -- your irk in this case -- are yours and you are responsible for what you do with them.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 4 May, 2016 08:59 am
@ehBeth,
Well, his campaign HAS been trying to explain to supporters that they need to play nice.
revelette2

Wed 4 May, 2016 09:04 am
@Olivier5,
When? What has he said to lead one to think they should play nice with Hillary or her supporters? All I have heard for months is how the "establishment" (apparently that whole thing is deeper than I thought) is stealing the election. Guess he wants new rules created just for him.
Olivier5

Wed 4 May, 2016 09:20 am
@revelette2,
I've seen messages from his campaign along those lines: If you respect Sanders, then respect his values and learn to disagree in a frank yet respectful way, or something like that... Sure it did not change the tone on A2K or FB much but he's been doing what he can.

Your primary system is very complex and opaque. Not modern either. Just do it nationally, one day of voting, the one getting the most votes wins, and you'll get clearer & better results for a tiny fraction of the current cost.
ehBeth

Wed 4 May, 2016 09:29 am
@Olivier5,
not sure why Mr Sanders' supporters haven't picked up on that message

it's created a good opportunity for Mr. Trump

good luck to everyone
revelette2

Wed 4 May, 2016 09:30 am
@Olivier5,
He has changed his tone since then, he blames it on Hillary of course, still... he has been getting very negative, kind of sneering.

Anyway, it would be hard to gets 51 states and territories to vote in one day and get it tallied up. Perhaps it could be done, but I would think it would be harder than perhaps people outside the US might think. It would be nice to shorten it, I know despite the fact I can't seem to leave it alone, I am sick to death over it and can't wait until it is over. I imagine the candidates are too, or least the ones leading.
ehBeth

Wed 4 May, 2016 09:33 am
@revelette2,
How are elections for congress and the senate handled? do half the states vote in the midterms or all of them?

Olivier5

Wed 4 May, 2016 09:33 am
@ehBeth,
Because they are in the middle of an intense battle and they get dominated by groupthink, us-vs-them, etc. Same with the Hillarettes here and elsewhere. Seeing the big picture is hard in the middle of a fight.
ehBeth

Wed 4 May, 2016 09:36 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Same with the Hillarettes here and elsewhere.

it's not even close to the same

my FB feed on the US side is full of two things - Bernie or Bust and I'll vote for either Democratic candidate

I haven't run across any Hillary or No One posts/threads.
Olivier5

Wed 4 May, 2016 09:37 am
@revelette2,
With voting machines it's a piece of cake. And without them, it's not particularly complicated either: Whatever tallies the states now do at separate times would just be done at the same time. The system of delegates made sense prior to the invention of the telegraph...
0 Replies

revelette2

Wed 4 May, 2016 09:39 am
@ehBeth,
You need to talk someone who is more into details and able to list it in an intelligence way which frankly isn't me. I could google, but then, that is not too helpful. What I know from myself just kind of guessing off the top of my head, is that representatives have longer terms I think than do senators, but when each term is up, they have to run for re-election again and that usually falls in midterms or sometimes in presidential elections. I don't really keep up, I just vote straight democrat on down the line unless it is a primary, then I vote for who I want for primary or local offices.
Olivier5

Wed 4 May, 2016 09:41 am
@ehBeth,
Because Hillary supporters are confident she will win. Their position of support for either canditates is purely theoretical. If he was to win the nomination, your stats would change. You will see "PUMA" messages coming in as in 2008.
parados

Wed 4 May, 2016 09:41 am
@Olivier5,
No, we wouldn't get clearer & better results. With 17 candidates in one party vying for the nomination we would have ended up with 12 with substantial vote totals in parts of the country and no clear leader. The process is messy but it does weed out some of the candidates as they make missteps or lose funding and support.
Olivier5

Wed 4 May, 2016 09:49 am
@parados,
Well then, you could just do a run-off with only the 2 top dogs.

glitterbag

Wed 4 May, 2016 10:01 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

How are elections for congress and the senate handled? do half the states vote in the midterms or all of them?

Senators serve terms of six years and Congressmen serve 2 year terms. It's staggered so that the entire Congress doesn't completely turn over at one time. So every mid term we vote for either members of the house of representative or senator and when the 6 year term is over we either pick a new senator or re-elect the current one. Members of the House run every 2 years so they are constantly campaigning. It's brutal.

In Maryland one of our Senators is retiring and we will have to fill her seat this November.
0 Replies

parados

Wed 4 May, 2016 10:09 am
@Olivier5,
I just don't see that as a good alternative. The 2 top dogs will be from big states or the ones with lots of name recognition. It doesn't allow for the small candidate that has good credentials but no name recognition to build a following over time.
revelette2

Wed 4 May, 2016 10:17 am
@parados,
That is true, Jeb Bush would have been the republican choice, I think, if a shorter election cycle was held, and Bernie wouldn't have stood a chance since no one knew who he even was, we still don't know too much about him as he gotten almost no scrutiny.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 4 May, 2016 10:34 am
@revelette2,
I understand that the midterms are staggered. What I'm trying to find our if they're staggered by state or within states. If all states vote in each round of midterms there's no good reason there can't be faster election cycles. No need for the lengthy primary etc process.

It's hard to believe that the US has to be so much less efficient re election process than other 1st world countries.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 4 May, 2016 10:37 am
@Olivier5,
I disagree with you very strongly. I know people who are suppporters of Mrs. Clinton - but they are Democrats first and foremost. Candidate choice is secondary to them.

Many of the supporters of Mr. Sanders seem to not be Democrats (which makes sense as he isn't a Democrat) so their perspective is different.
ehBeth

Wed 4 May, 2016 10:39 am
@parados,
Why is it so much more difficult to choose a candidate in the US than in other countries? political parties in other countries manage to pick new leaders in days/weeks, why so inefficient in the US?