When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

Lash

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 09:24 am
@izzythepush,
A good reason for pretender progressives to get off their asses and vote for the progressive, don't you think?
parados

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 09:26 am
@Lash,
According to wikipedia only 17 states have open primaries.

Donald Trump is also rising in the polls and as fast if not faster than Bernie is, but I don't think Trump is going to win the GOP nomination.
Lash

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 09:34 am
@parados,
If you think people don't know how to vote in the primaries they want to vote in, you are wildly mistaken. However, just in case, this information is being shared widely online and is a focus of the organizational meetings.

Deadlines vary in each state as well - and these dates are a national focus.

http://www.rockthevote.com/get-informed/elections/

Millennials are super excited about Bernie. They can't wait to vote.
Lash

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 09:42 am
@parados,
https://grassrootsidgop.wordpress.com/list-of-states-with-open-and-closed-primaries/

Not sure if this is the most recent update of open, closed, and other primaries. I just know my state for certain.
0 Replies

parados

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 09:58 am
@Lash,
Voter apathy is pretty high. Not only do most people not vote in primaries, most don't know how to vote in primaries.

If you and 20 million of your close friends who normally don't vote in the primary get together, you can probably vote in Bernie. I just don't see that as likely. Bernie is going to need over 60% of the vote to overcome superdelegates that might not see him as electable.
ehBeth

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 10:03 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
If you and 20 million of your close friends who normally don't vote in the primary get together, you can probably vote in Bernie. I just don't see that as likely.

it might seem unlikely but it would be fantastic

I'm definitely hoping that the millenials are going to get out there and vote - in primaries and the general.

What is the turnout like in the Latino/Hispanic communities?
izzythepush

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 10:08 am
@Lash,
Not if that person is deemed too extreme for mainstream America, which is what Frank and Rabel think will happen.

No more Republicans, no more Iraqs, please.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 10:09 am
@ehBeth,
good question - let me look into it

I don't see us losing Hispanics to Republicans, but you want to attract them to the polls...
ehBeth

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 10:17 am
@Lash,
I think there are a couple of Republican candidates (particularly Bush and Rubio) who have potential to pull from those communities. Of course, if Trump and/or Cruz are still visible by the time it gets to the general, that vote will be completely lost to the Republicans.

I've probably said it way too many times here, but I think that group of voters has the potential to make or break a candidate in the general.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 10:27 am
@Lash,
hahaha. Well, Beth, you started what will become a Twitter firestorm. Thanks for pointing out the need for us to reach out specifically to Hispanics.

No one should be taken for granted.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 10:28 am
http://huelladigital.univisionnoticias.com/the-latin-vote/

Quote:
Univision’s bipartisan survey suggests problems and opportunities for the aspiring Republican candidates. One problem is that barely 16% of the voters interviewed identify themselves as being Republicans while 58% say they are Democrats. Another problem is that only 36% have a favorable opinion of the Republican Party while 52% are favorable toward the Democratic Party. But Univision’s survey allows one to infer that many Hispanic voters are receptive to ideas from the aspiring Republicans. For example, 32% proclaim themselves to be conservative; while 35% consider themselves to be moderates and barely 28% see themselves as liberals. Furthermore, one out of every four interviewees is an independent. This suggests that Republicans as well as Democrats are still faced with the important task of persuading the Hispanic electorate during the current presidential campaign.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/06/us/hispanic-votes-republicans-midterm-gains.html?_r=0

Quote:
In the Senate race in Colorado, for example, where Latinos make up 14 percent of voters, a conservative Republican, Cory Gardner, took the seat of the incumbent Democrat, Mark Udall, in what analysts from both parties called a Republican playbook on how to blunt the Democrats’ advantage with Hispanics. Mr. Gardner generally avoided the contentious issue of immigration but campaigned in Latino neighborhoods with a message of job creation and smaller government.
0 Replies

snood

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 11:22 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Bush isn't an issue this election season.

The reason I think it is relevant here is because of your hell-take-the-hindmost, baby-out-with-the-bathwater approach. It doesn't mark you as circumspect in your decision making. Neither does your voting for Bush AFTER he had blundered us into Iraq and the biggest economic hole since the depression. The fact that you voted for Bush begs the question - in a discussion with you being dismissive of Hillary even as a second choice - of what your idea of a good choice is.
Lash

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 11:27 am
@snood,
Well, since I disrespect progressives not supporting Sanders - it's ok with me if they choose this reason as one to disrespect my choice.

It won't change the outcome.
snood

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 12:18 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Well, since I disrespect progressives not supporting Sanders - it's ok with me if they choose this reason as one to disrespect my choice.

It won't change the outcome.

I don't disrespect your choice, and I haven't said I wouldn't support Sanders. Of everyone exchanging opinions about these candidates with you, I've only seen Frank Apisa as being a little condescending ('disrespectful' if you prefer). As I said I admire your passion about this. If anything I was calling into question the fairness of your dismissal of Clinton for any consideration at all.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 12:54 pm
@parados,
I had to laugh at your comment...
Quote:
If you and 20 million of your close friends who normally don't vote in the primary get together,

This is one of the most thrilling things to me about this election season. There are mass exoduses (sp?) of different groups from all parties. Some really big changes are happening in demographics and new bedfellows.

There are legit Republicans coming in to the Sanders camp like hotcakes. Indies are here. Millennials are on fire for an OLD dude. Many BLM activists are saying he's the closest to what they demand. They're definitely not endorsing him or anyone yet, definitely not quick to trust, but I would much rather be a Bernie supporter than a Hillary if I had my hat in my hand to BLM.

Very exciting times.

20 million of my closest new friends do seem to agree... Smile
hawkeye10

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 02:00 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Very exciting times.

Obama 08 was very exciting too, do you remember? Most of those people who showed up to events, most of those people who worked to get Obama's keister in the POTUS chair, ended up disappointed. That makes it harder to get excited now.
Lash

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 02:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
I wasn't excited about Obama. I am glad my black students have been able to see someone who looks like them in the oval office, but I never thought he was going to do anything different than any other president.

I KNOW Bernie Sanders will.
parados

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 02:22 pm
@Lash,
I'll stick with the reality of polling.

Bernie will get about 5 million votes in primaries if he lasts through the end of the primaries. Hillary will get about 25 million.

Sanders may have dropped out of the race by the time California holds it's primary in June.
parados

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 02:23 pm
@Lash,
Sanders has the same restrictions every President has. He has to work with Congress. It is a political reality that will never go away. Sanders will be as stymied by Congress as Obama has been.
Lash

Tue 28 Jul, 2015 02:24 pm
@parados,
One thing is certain: We will see. Meanwhile, here's some reality in polling.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/2016-presidential-swing-state-polls/release-detail?ReleaseID=2261

Headline six days ago: Clinton in Trouble...
Guarantee she's in more trouble today. Smile
http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/2016-presidential-swing-state-polls/release-detail?ReleaseID=2261