When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

engineer

Sat 27 Feb, 2016 07:56 pm
@glitterbag,
That win is 10% better than expected. There is an article on 538.com about Sander's increasingly hard path to the nomination.

I wonder how Trump's personal attacks are going to play against Clinton. He and Rubio are exchanging school yard comments about Rubio's ears and Trump's debate makeup. Is he really going to do that with Clinton? He probably is given he made some remarks about Fiorina, but I doubt independent women will be amused. The base will probably eat it up.
Blickers

Sat 27 Feb, 2016 08:48 pm
@engineer,
True, but the Republican base can't get a President elected. The Democratic coalition can, last time Obama lost the Independent vote but still won handily.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 27 Feb, 2016 10:16 pm
@engineer,
Trump can't help himself. He's a clown, he's coarse and crude and doesn't mind being a hypocrite. I can't imagine Trump will clean up and behave as a man with the necessary poise and temperament to be the President of the United States. Check out this youtube clip of Gen. Mike Hayden (ret) former Director of NSA and also of CIA has to say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC7-RMhfSos&sns=em . By the way, this isn't the first time Intelligence officials have said they would refuse to follow orders that are essentially war crimes. I just wish they would have refused during the panic that followed 9/11.

I'm not Mike Haydens biggest fan, I was very distressed over many of his
decisions. But I was happy to hear his views last night on Real Time With Bill Maher, I still am not a fan but I am pleased he is finding his way back from the dark side.
cicerone imposter

Sat 27 Feb, 2016 10:42 pm
@glitterbag,
Trump is a loud mouth quack. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; he's a racial bigot, and doesn't belong in any government position.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 03:17 am
@woiyo,
Quote:
I do not rely on "links" as I am quite capable of forming my own opinions based upon my experiences, thank you .

Do you disagree with my opinion? If so, you tell me what you think. Not what others think.

Perhaps you don't "rely" on books, either. After all, one's personal experiences are easily adequate to the task of being certain on most anything. No need, really, for anyone to peek outside of their own noggin.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 03:28 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
That's how a liberal Canadian see's it. Liberals see everything through racist glasses though. How else can they explain anything other then they don't agree so they must be racist! (or sexist or misogynist or some other ist).

It's always like that with you people.

Not many Canadian liberals represented here...
Quote:
Inside the Republican Party’s Desperate Mission to Stop Donald Trump

http://nyti.ms/1OEWmRK

Obviously race is a factor in Trump's appeal to many of his fans (and to GOP voters broadly). It's a serious case of willful blindness to deny the plentiful evidence for that claim. Racist appeals and the negative electoral consequences are implicit in the GOP's "autopsy". But there are other factors in the mix as well. Disaffection with the GOP "establishment" is another (and for many Trump fans, insufficient attention by that establishment to the plight of white folks is a source of anger).
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 03:57 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
Or summarized, Trump stands for a time when minorities "knew their place".

I think that applies not just to Trump but to conservatism generally.

As a political philosophy, conservatism arose following the French revolution when existing structures of power were overthrown or were at risk of being overthrown. And if you think about it, there's really no need for a "conservative" philosophy of movement where power structures are in place and stable. In "The Reactionary Mind", Corey Robin quotes Burke...

Quote:
The conservative defends particular orders - hierarchical, often private regimes of rule - on the assumption, in part, that hierarchy is order. "Order cannot be had," declared Johnson, "but by sub-ordination". For Burke, it was axiomatic that "when the multitude are not under this discipline" of "the wiser, the more expert, and the more opulent" "they can scarcely be said to be in civil society".

Rather obviously, folks at the very bottom are seldom interested in maintaining the existing power structures because it definitely isn't smiling on them. But that's folks at the very bottom. If you're not thriving like the really rich boys but still have others beneath you (the niggras or the women or gays or wetbacks, for example) then the threat to your relative seniority can bite as deeply as democracy and equality bites for the aristocrat.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 04:33 am
@engineer,
Quote:
I wonder how Trump's personal attacks are going to play against Clinton.

That's a very interesting question.

First, whoever is the GOP nominee will go after Hillary in predictable ways - she'll be cast as an "insider", a shill of Wall St, untrustworthy and deceitful. All of that is already in play and has been since it became clear she was going to run.

But in that mix, is the sexist element (augmented by the "old" characterization - she's not just a woman, she's an old woman, which is way worse because she's not sexy).

Trump won't be able to resist speaking in such terms because that's the way he thinks (and because he's so bright in understanding what his base wants to hear). But we'd be really foolish, I think, to just assume he will not be wise to these real dangers and alter his speech and behavior in light of them. He keeps surprising us with his smarts at message/media management and he'll likely surprise us a lot more up the road.

Another aspect here concerns how Hillary will react to the sort of unpredictable campaign (and debate style) that we can count on from Trump. Will she bring a book to a knife fight?
bobsal u1553115

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 10:08 am
http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user5/imageroot/2015/08/Hillary%20Clinton%20Speeches%202013-2015_1.jpg
cicerone imposter

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 11:44 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Just proves she's in high demand for speeches. LOL
engineer

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 12:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
And that she's much better at making money than Trump.
cicerone imposter

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 12:32 pm
@engineer,
Trump's speeches are garbage compared to Hillary. Trump's claim that he's going to make Mexico pay for a wall proves he's out of touch with reality.
blatham

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 01:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Funny joke I heard last week on walls and protecting US from aliens...

Trump is going to build a ceiling and make Mars pay for it.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 01:45 pm
Nate Silver @NateSilver538
Strongest correlate I've found for Trump support is Google searches for the n-word. Others have reported this too: http://nyti.ms/1IFI3AE

bwdone2017@theonlyadult
Clearly, this is about economic anxiety
0 Replies

RABEL222

Sun 28 Feb, 2016 07:36 pm
@blatham,
Will she bring a book to a knife fight?

Ive got a feeling she will bring a gun to that knife fight.
blatham

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 04:11 am
@RABEL222,
She will practice debating with some individual who portrays Trump and who, as closely as possible, will try to match Trump's style and rhetorical moves (personal insults, diversions, ridiculous claims, etc). So she won't be unarmed.

But because Hillary's knowledge and experience so vastly outweighs Trump's, he and his handlers will devise ways to throw her off her stride and to get her angry. Will this work? Maybe. Notice that yesterday morning, Rubio said, "Trump likes to sue people. He should sue whoever did that to his face". In a nomination contest for leader of the most powerful country in the world! Rubio has clearly concluded he has to go down into the mud that far to compete.

For sure, the general contest is quite different from the GOP nomination fight because there's a different audience being played to. But as I suggested earlier, Trump has surprised everyone with how effective he's been so far and we'd be foolish to presume he's not smart enough or talented enough to adapt and surprise us further.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 04:56 am
Once again, we get another in a long list of senior Republican politicos and analysts who express serious concerns about the future viability of the Republican party.
Quote:
“This is an existential choice,” said former senator Norm Coleman of Minnesota, who is backing Rubio. Asked how the party could unite, Coleman said: “It gets harder every day when you hear things like not disavowing the KKK and David Duke. It’s not getting easier; it’s getting more difficult. . . . I’m hopeful the party won’t destroy itself.
http://wapo.st/1naOzVm
Earlier, georgeob argued that (unless I have him wrong) this situation is not unique to the GOP and that the Dems face a comparable level of disarray. But that really is to deny pretty much all of the evidence in front of us. Not least that there is no such broad and serious anxiety expressed by Dem politicos and analysts. Nor has the Dem primary contest fallen to the pathetic levels of 'discourse' we've witnessed with the GOP contest. There's no equivalence here and it's not even close.

From the same piece, a unintentionally revealing statement from Nikki Haley...
Quote:
“It’s scary,” South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, who has endorsed Rubio, said on ABC’s “This Week.” She added: “I think what [Trump will] do to the Republican Party is really make us question who we are and what we’re about. And that’s something we don’t want to see happen.”

And why not, Nikki? What dangers lurk there?

And a final tidbit from the same piece...
Quote:
The challenging task of uniting the party falls to the RNC, which oversees the convention. Sean Spicer, the committee’s chief strategist, said the prospect of a Clinton presidency would serve as a unifying force.

“There is an overwhelming understanding in our party that we have to be united against Hillary Clinton, because there is too much at stake, if you just look at the Supreme Court alone,” Spicer said. “After the last eight years, everyone on the Republican side understands that.”

Right. So let's drop the pretense or delusion that the SC at this point in time is apolitical.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 29 Feb, 2016 05:37 am
This piece from Robert Kagan (a key neoconservative voice) is really extremely good. You may despise the consequences of neoconservative ideology but if you'v ever heard Kagan speak of in an interview, you'll know that he's a very smart and level-headed guy in most respects. I'll just quote one interior graph and the final and very surprising graph and encourage you to read the full piece.

Quote:
"Trump is the GOP’s Frankenstein monster. Now he’s strong enough to destroy the party.
...We are supposed to believe that Trump’s legion of “angry” people are angry about wage stagnation. No, they are angry about all the things Republicans have told them to be angry about these past 7½ years, and it has been Trump’s good fortune to be the guy to sweep them up and become their
standard-bearer. He is the Napoleon who has harvested the fruit of the revolution."

Quote:
So what to do now? The Republicans’ creation will soon be let loose on the land, leaving to others the job the party failed to carry out. For this former Republican, and perhaps for others, the only choice will be to vote for Hillary Clinton. The party cannot be saved, but the country still can be.
http://wapo.st/1naXKFz
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 1 Mar, 2016 06:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
None of the banksters and Wall Street Crooks give anyone millions of dollars just because they want a first woman President. She's a 1%er.
Blickers

Tue 1 Mar, 2016 06:58 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
FDR was a 1%er too.